Cadillac Owners Forum banner
22K views 114 replies 31 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
i was curious to see what you guys had noticed were some differences between Lincoln and Cadillac. heres what i've got:
1- Lincolns have a plusher ride and a more luxurious interior.
2- Cadillac has always had a wider model range
3- Lincoln shares their motors with Ford, Cadillac for the most part uses exclusive motors.
4- Cadillac has always seemed more ready to go into more modern designs & Ideas (1959 all models, 1967 Eldorado, they downsized first in 1977, 1976 Seville, 1980 Seville, 1992 STS, CTS, XLR, V Series)
5- Lincoln borrows some of cadillacs' ideas (1977 Versailles, 1988 Continental)

thats all i've got now.

#61 ·
Cadillac is #1 in my book, Lincoln is #2.

#62 ·
Depends on what your looking at. If your looking for entry level car then I would rank the MKZ higher then the CTS but obviously if your looking for performance then go with the CTS 3.6 or the V version. But when it comes to luxury I want something that looks the part and comparing the MKZ to the CTS interior wise there is no comparison at all

#65 ·
I hate the fact that Lincoln is basing their flagship future on a V6 powered front wheel drive Ford 500 clone. It seems like there are more Chrysler 300's on the road than Caravans they're such hot sellers. Obviously the market for large (120" wheelbase) luxury sedans has not died. And geez the 3.5L V6 in the 300 outpowers the TC's 4.6 V8, let alone any comparisons with the burly hemi. I think the Town Car has gotten too 'fat' looking. What has always made me love Caddy's is that even the longer cars were narrower so they had a lean mean look to them. So put the townie on a diet, keep it rear drive, give it at the very least a 3 valve 4.6 a la Mustang and see how it flies.

#66 ·
I agree, I love the fact that both companies started by Henry Leyland have survived the test of time. Imagine how great it would be if the Imperial nameplate were still around making sweet Hemi powered sedans! (not a Chrysler branded Imperial like they are planning). What really sucks is that with the death of the LS, and the impending cancellation of the Town Car (2009 or 2011?), Lincoln will have no V8 sedans, only trucks. I guess Lincoln is destined to become the luxury devision of Mazda, instead of "What a luxury car should be".

#67 ·
What really sucks is that with the death of the LS, and the impending cancellation of the Town Car (2009 or 2011?), Lincoln will have no V8 sedans, only trucks. I guess Lincoln is destined to become the luxury devision of Mazda, instead of "What a luxury car should be".
I was pissed to hear that Lincoln was cancelling the V8 version of the MKS and it will only have the 3.5 V6. But I guess when the parent company is doing so well here I guess they have to cut costs somewhere and I guess V8 cars for their luxury division isn't a high priorety on their list of things to do. On the flip side though Ford has an advantage when compared to GM. Even though Lincoln might not be doing the best they still have Volvo, Aston Martin, and Jaguar as luxury brands while GM only has Cadillac and maybe you could through Saab in there but I just can't look at those cars and think luxury no matter what they do to them. Here's to hoping that Ford has a serious turnaround and starts making some bank again and we can start seeing more products come out of Lincoln. Hopefully they will have a turn around similar to what Caddy is experiencing as of late. One nice thing about the Lincoln'c though is they may not be the fastest or most powerful things on the road but with their redesigned interiors I think they dwarf in comparison to any domestic luxury division today. They just look the part of a luxury car. I've sat in Cadillac's best from the V series to the Escalade's and the only one that gave me a sense of luxury was the Escalade. The Cadillac cars for whatever reason just don't give me that upper echelon *sp?* feeling that the Lincoln's interiors give. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure plenty of people on here would beg to differ

EDIT: The new 3.5 V6 is a nice engine in itself and from what I remember reading when it first came out that F/I applications would be quite easy to do on them so maybe Lincoln will surprise us with a blown or turbo'd 3.5 option but I doubt it.

#71 ·
I have to disagree on only one point. Despite the fact the Zephyr/MKZ doesn't have rear drive or a V8 I absolutely love the styling on the car itself. Especially the front end, the grille, as on other Lincolns, is reminiscent of the 61 Continental which was a damn fine looking automobile. But without V8 power, Lincoln will never compete on the world stage like Cadillac is. Lincoln DID have the Mark X show car, which would have could have SHOULD have gone up against the XLR. Like I said in my previous post, the current lineup has potential, it just needs some different management to really put Lincoln back on the map.

#76 ·
Lincoln needs v8 power, whether it comes in the form of a V8 or not - or they will fail. If the MKS is going to be slow, it's going to fail.

If they redesign the Town Car, I certainly HOPE they don't make it any more narrow. It's fine the width it is. Long cars are fine but width is important too. My Fleetwood Brougham was even an inch wider and that made things very comfortable for three people in the back seat. Unless a luxury car is going to have three rows of seats, narrow isn't good.

#79 ·
It does't have to be a v8, as long as it gets good numbers.The zephyr got 0-60 in 7.26 and they said that the MKZ is going to be one second quicker, so that would make the 0-60 in the low 6 seconds I think the MKZ is the best car you can buy for the money because of the AWD option.

#80 ·
They road tested the MKZ in the January Issue of Car and Driver. 263hp and 249 lb/ft of torque from their 3.5L DOHC V6. 0-60 in 7.3 and the 1/4 mile in 15.6 seconds at 91 mph. Pretty average numbers for the day, but more than adequate power for anyone.

#83 ·
Pretty much. Those were about the same numbers car magazine's were getting for my old Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V and for everyday driving that thing had more then enough power. But the one thing I noticed is the trap speed for that 15.6 run from the MKZ. My best time in my old Spec V was a 15.196 @ 88.54 mph and the MKZ is trapping at about 3 mph faster so the thing does get up and go pretty good. It seems just like any other Ford engine. It isn't the best off the line but once it gets going it hauls ass

#82 ·
Maybe with the 3.2L or 2.8L...I think the 3.6L is quicker..

To me, it sounds like a early STS/ETC...

#84 ·
That sounds pretty typical for a Ford engine. All of them are SOHC/DOHC. Do they even make a OHV engine anymore?

#91 ·
At least they did _something_. Who the hell wants to buy a Lincoln powered by an old Taurus engine? And I don't think Lincoln is shooting for Lexus...they have Jaguar for that. The MKZ is more an attempt to just try and keep up with the CTS, and hopefully get some dollars into Ford's coffers, though they don't predict profitability until 2009.

#92 ·
Like I said earlier Ford has an advantage when it comes to luxury cars versus GM.

Ford has Lincoln for the low to mid luxury market then for the mid to upper market they have Jaguar and for the ultimate in luxury they have Aston Martin.

GM has Caddy and that's it. Ford doesn't need to engulf themselves in trying to make Lincoln superior to Cadillac because they have two other brands to do that

#93 ·
But Lincoln should compete with Cadillac on every level. That's what the rivalry between Lincoln and Cadillac is all about, it's always been the two American luxobrands against eachother. I mean, come on, they were founded by the same guy!

#94 ·
You should know as well as anybody else that tradition in the auto industry means very little anymore. With Ford reeling in the US right now they could careless about competing with Cadillac because of a rivalry. They need to focus that money else where like bringing the Mondeo or Falcon or something over here that will actually sell. Lincoln has it's facelift now with the MKZ, MKX, Navigator, and LT. Ford just brought out the new 3.5 V6 which is replacing that old 3.0 or whatever it was and now they're bringing out a new 3.7 V6 just for the MKZ. Jaguar is getting it's new face lift done to the entire lineup and bringing out some new engines for them as well. With not a lot of money for R&D they are just going to have to take baby steps for the time being. So far they are on a road that is some what nice but they need to go back to RWD and V8's

#98 ·
So? They didn't make a 2 door Taurus but that's what Ford used in NASCAR. They had the 3.0 or 3.2 Yamaha V6 for the SHO and that was more then enough motor for those cars. Ford wanted a Ford product to represent them and not a Lincoln because they didn't want Lincoln to have a race image. In 95 or 96 Ford discontinued the Thunderbird and since the Mark VIII shared the MN-12 platform that the Thunderbird used car owner Michael Kranefuss saw it as a logical replacement. Here's a link to an article about the NASCAR Mark VIII

http://mark8.org/lod/nascar.htm

#100 ·
Exactly. And being as the Mark VIII was a Lincoln automobile, it never would have been considered for a NASCAR body. No matter WHAT pics you may have seen. And I must suffer from the need to drive a 97 and up Deville, because no matter how much I love my 91 and the ballsy acceleration it has, I still feel the need to pilot my dad's 92 Town Car and feel that wide road hugging weighted feel. I think the Town Car truly is the last great bastion of road worthiness around. There seems to be some barrier between full out two ton cars and less than two ton cars. Please, someone tell me, do 97 and ups feel as great on the road? Do they give that road mastering feel that my dad's Townie gives?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.