Cadillac Owners Forum banner
22K views 114 replies 31 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
i was curious to see what you guys had noticed were some differences between Lincoln and Cadillac. heres what i've got:
1- Lincolns have a plusher ride and a more luxurious interior.
2- Cadillac has always had a wider model range
3- Lincoln shares their motors with Ford, Cadillac for the most part uses exclusive motors.
4- Cadillac has always seemed more ready to go into more modern designs & Ideas (1959 all models, 1967 Eldorado, they downsized first in 1977, 1976 Seville, 1980 Seville, 1992 STS, CTS, XLR, V Series)
5- Lincoln borrows some of cadillacs' ideas (1977 Versailles, 1988 Continental)

thats all i've got now.

#28 ·
JC316 said:
Hmm, not sure about the ETC and Mark. It would be interesting to run a 96 LSC Mark vs a 96 ETC and see who would win. I know the ETC would whoop a Gen2 mark. Deville beating a Towncar I would agree with this as the town cars are slow as shit. According to the consumer guide, a 96 Connie will beat a seville SLS and match a STS. And the new towncar styling blows.
The ETC will take the LSC. My friends Mark VIII non LSC runs 1/4 second slower than my ETC, the extra 10hp isn't going to make that up. The ETC has slightly better power/weight and 3.71 gearing.

#29 ·
addison_ii said:
No the Northstar was actually conceived by Cadillac. If you remember the 1988 Voyage engine was the prototype for the Vin Y NorthStar(4.5HO producing 275hp). Olds used the smaller variation of the engine for the Aurora 4.0ltr.
Don't listen to old Ford Boy! The Northstar was designed and built for Cadillac first. :thumbsup:

#30 ·
davesdeville said:
The ETC will take the LSC. My friends Mark VIII non LSC runs 1/4 second slower than my ETC, the extra 10hp isn't going to make that up. The ETC has slightly better power/weight and 3.71 gearing.
Still not sure about that, as the LSC adds 3.27 rear end gears and gets 295 HP. Not only that, but the "weight difference" is a mere 6LBS in favor of the lincoln (3768 for the mark and 3774 for the eldo). And if you want to get right down to it, it is really the skill of the drivers (reaction time, gear selection etc etc..) and certain variables such as tire pressureand how much gas is in the tank that are other factors in the times. So really, it is too close to call.

#31 · (Edited)
Have you seen the film 'Donnie Brasco'? "Cadillac is better than a Lincoln, fogeddaboudet!"

And the 500 was quite exclusive! (though, it being a bored out 472) Proud to have one!

#32 ·
I think in "Donnie Brasco" they said "driving a lincoln is like driving a waterbed" or something to that extent

#33 ·
JC316 said:
Still not sure about that, as the LSC adds 3.27 rear end gears and gets 295 HP. Not only that, but the "weight difference" is a mere 6LBS in favor of the lincoln (3768 for the mark and 3774 for the eldo). And if you want to get right down to it, it is really the skill of the drivers (reaction time, gear selection etc etc..) and certain variables such as tire pressureand how much gas is in the tank that are other factors in the times. So really, it is too close to call.
No, it's not too close to call. The LSC is rated at 290, not 295 last time I checked. The ETC weighs in just over 3800, but still puts down a better power/weight, and has 3.71s. We'll assume both cars are on 1/8th tank with similar tires running similar pressures. Since reaction times don't count as part of ET, I doubt driver skill is going to make up .25, especially with an automatic. Don't spin too much on the launch, keep it straight, manually shift the Mark, and that's all the driver skill you can exercise.

I'd love to see Lincoln make a Mark IX based on the Mustang with the 300hp 3v as the base motor, plus an SVT/LSC version using some form of blower. Just as much as I'd love to see Cadillac make a new ETC based on the STS with 320hp plus the 469hp V version.

#34 ·
You know some people said Lincoln was behind the times as far as Cadillac is concerned, but I'm reminded of one situation that put the lincoln ahead. the NAVIGATOR. Cadillac wasnt planning on building an SUV, lincoln did in 98 and it sold pretty well. Cadillac saw this, and thats why in 99 you had the rebadged yukon denali with no other real changes, they had to get it out ASAP to compete with the lincoln.

#35 ·
A 1996 Mark runs a 7.2 0-60,and a 15.3 1/4 mile.A 1996 ETC runs a 6.6 0-60 and a 14.8 1/4 mile.ETC takes it there.1998 Mark LSC runs a 7 flat in the 0-60 and a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile.Where as the 1998 ETC runs a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.ETC again.A 1995 Continental ran a 7.7 0-60 and a 15.9 1/4 mile.A 1995 SLS ran a 6.9 0-60 and a 15.1 1/4 mile.SLS wins easily.A 1995 STS ran a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.

The Northstar hit the market in 1992 in the Allante.The Northstar WAS engineered for Cadillacs.Then they downsized it for the Aurora,and recently started putting them in the Bonnevilles.This is a Cadillac engine.When it came out it was exclusivly for Cadillac.

The Navigator put nothing more than a small dime size ding in Cadillac sales.Cadillac was still way ahead.

#41 ·
A 1996 Mark runs a 7.2 0-60,and a 15.3 1/4 mile.A 1996 ETC runs a 6.6 0-60 and a 14.8 1/4 mile.ETC takes it there.1998 Mark LSC runs a 7 flat in the 0-60 and a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile.Where as the 1998 ETC runs a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.ETC again.A 1995 Continental ran a 7.7 0-60 and a 15.9 1/4 mile.A 1995 SLS ran a 6.9 0-60 and a 15.1 1/4 mile.SLS wins easily.A 1995 STS ran a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.

The Northstar hit the market in 1992 in the Allante.The Northstar WAS engineered for Cadillacs.Then they downsized it for the Aurora,and recently started putting them in the Bonnevilles.This is a Cadillac engine.When it came out it was exclusivly for Cadillac.

The Navigator put nothing more than a small dime size ding in Cadillac sales.Cadillac was still way ahead.
That info is all wrong, The Gen I marks have been faster then the Gen II. Gen I can hit the same number as your ETC. so its basically a drivers win. The Gen II are the same as ESC but a chip brings them up to a gen I preformance.
But the continental can't match the seville preformance but maybe able to keep up with a SLS if it spins off the line.

#37 ·
Re: The Northstar lineage issue...

There has been some debate about the fact that the Oldsmobile Quad4 engine was the original point of conception for what is now known as the Northstar... however that has been all but quashed here on this forum. Still, Ive seen various sources reporting this over the years.

#38 ·
Oh yeah, I've heard that too, Oldsmobile was designing a bigger brother for the Quad 4, named the Quad 8. But Oldsmobile didn't get the funding or something, so Cadillac got it and renamed it Northstar.

#39 ·
Like Playdrv4me said, that was a load of bunk. Both engines were being developed at the same time and the Quad4 was started earlier, that's probably where the notion started. There was a Quad Eight under development for the upcoming Aurora, but GM Powertrain Division halted work in favor of using a smaller Northstar derivitive because of the cost.

#40 ·
In stock trim with my non LSC Mark VIII I ran a 14.921 @ 96.75 mph and that was with a slipping tranny and a bad MLPS sensor. Magazine times mean nothing. Manually shifting the gears gets you better times then just throwing it in drive and flooring it. 95-96 LSC Mark VIII's are good for mid 14's and a few have even hit 14.1's in stock trim. But at the end of the day even if the Mark VIII is slower then the ETC I'd still take the Mark VIII due to 2 things. RWD & available aftermarket versus a Northstar.

#46 ·
Mindblowing! +10 for 4.6 Continental!

#47 ·
Cadillacs and Lincolns are both sh!tty cars, I'll take a Lexus any day!

;)

#48 ·
#49 ·
Hey, why does it send me to our homepage when I click the link? I know the link is right.

#53 ·
The answer for Lincoln is to bring back the opera lamp and continental kit. :highfive:
Hell Yes!! Points for you!

#52 ·
shit yeah.

I'd still take an early '90s Town Car in white with turbine wheels

#56 ·
First, let's put the sales argument to rest. The first year that the Navy was out Lincoln sales surpassed Cadillac sales for the first time in history. In fact, beginning in the 50's on up Lincoln sales went from a fraction of Cadillac sales to whopping triple digit % gains each decade on up until 1998 when the Nav came out and Lincoln finally beat Cadillac in sales. This may have continued for a couple of years until the Escalade came out, I'm not sure. And you can say what you want about the current situation, but there have been many times in history when Lincoln has beaten Cadillac to the punch. 1937 Zephyr, a wildly popular design. 1940 Continental, one of the most artistic and beautiful designs of all time. The 1956 Continental Mark II, inventing the personal luxury car. And while many buffs drool over the 1959 Eldorado Brougham, I would DIE to own a 1958-1960 Continental Mark. Just google 1958 Continental Mark III, and see what I am talking about. (make mine a convertible!). And those marks had a massive 430 cubic inch 'Mel' engine standard, 375 hp besting Caddy's 'measily' 365 ci at 335 hp. Lincoln hit a masterful design in 1961 with the streamlined suicide door Continental. And the 1970 Continental is the most badass looking luxury car ever, combining Darth Vader looks with sumptuous luxury, decades before the Grand National or Star Wars was conceived. Fast forward to 1990, Lincoln goes against 10 years of downsizing trends and gives us a fully redesigned, and longer lower wider Town Car in fine american tradition. This car won the prestigious Motor Trend COTY award against all odds for its refinement, ride, and overall design. The following year gave us the turbine smooth 4.6 engine. It took Cadillac three more years to catch up with the Fleetwood, and while its Corvette derived engine was more powerful, it wasn't as smooth or nearly as fuel efficient.
And it wasn't until 1996 that the Northstar was standard for the deVille. 1998 brings us the Navigator, the vehicle that finally pushed Lincoln sales ahead of Cadillac, who had to rush the Escalade into production to keep up. 2000, and Lincoln wins another Motor Trend COTY award with the stunning Lincoln LS, a BMW 5 series car at a 3 series price, obliterating the Catera with its wimpy styling and V6 engine. And while the current Town Car hasn't changed much in 17 years, I love the fact that it still bears a connection to the original 1961 Lincoln. Lincoln's problem right now is staid management who is worried about money, instead of out Cadillacing Cadillac like they did throughout the 50's 60's and 70's. The other problem is that perhaps Ford bit off more than they could chew by purchasing Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Volvo. And you can say what you want, but I think it says something for big comfy body on frame american sedans when the 18 year old Grand Marquis is STILL Mercury's best selling model, despite the new Milan and Montego. (the Milan based on the Fusion which was declared the 'most desirable mid-sized car' by JD Power). With all that being said, the new DTS is to DIE for, and I hope Lincoln gets new management that will go back to the old days of beating the pants off of Cadillac. Lincoln was also the first to offer the Lincoln BPS, a heavily fortified sedan with bullet resistant windows (6 inches thick!) and body armour which could resist grenade explosions. Cadillac quickly followed suit. Bottom line - both marquees are great with their ups and downs, and you can be proud no matter which one you drive. The performance is not THAT much worse with a Townie, they are only a second slower to 60 mph despite their 400 pound weight extra. (8.5 vs 7 to 7.5 depending on the tester). And Cadillac is FINALLY debating a long wheelbase DTS to keep up with Lincoln's long wheelbase Town Car L. Big cars are back BABY.

#57 ·
Yes!! Thank you! Somebody finally stands up for Lincoln!

#58 ·
Well despite being a Cadillac owner/fanatic, I always had an emotional attachment to Lincolns. My dad had a beautiful black on black leather 1979 Continental Town Car. I damn near cried when he sold it for $400 instead of keeping it for me. After that he bought a dark blue 1992 Town Car which is the car I learned to drive in and he still has to this day.

#59 ·
MachX:

Very interesting and informative post on the Lincoln marque. I, too, share your sentiments. I am a big Ford fan, and have owned a beautiful '79 Continental Town Coupe with those gorgeous deep dish aluminum wheels. I do love my Cadillacs, but I would be very proud to own a Lincoln as well. I like the Town Cars the best, up to 1997 bodystyle. I've got my eye on one at the retirement community I work at. The lady has a '97 TC with just 34,000 miles on this white with red leather interior beauty. I detailed it--(easiest one I've ever done) and the lady lets me drive it around whenever I want to.

Points to you.

JRau in central Iowa

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.