general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; At least they did _something_. Who the hell wants to buy a Lincoln powered by an old Taurus engine? And ...
    MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Re: general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

At least they did _something_. Who the hell wants to buy a Lincoln powered by an old Taurus engine? And I don't think Lincoln is shooting for Lexus...they have Jaguar for that. The MKZ is more an attempt to just try and keep up with the CTS, and hopefully get some dollars into Ford's coffers, though they don't predict profitability until 2009.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by MachX View Post
    At least they did _something_. Who the hell wants to buy a Lincoln powered by an old Taurus engine? And I don't think Lincoln is shooting for Lexus...they have Jaguar for that. The MKZ is more an attempt to just try and keep up with the CTS, and hopefully get some dollars into Ford's coffers, though they don't predict profitability until 2009.
    Like I said earlier Ford has an advantage when it comes to luxury cars versus GM.

Ford has Lincoln for the low to mid luxury market then for the mid to upper market they have Jaguar and for the ultimate in luxury they have Aston Martin.

GM has Caddy and that's it. Ford doesn't need to engulf themselves in trying to make Lincoln superior to Cadillac because they have two other brands to do that

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

But Lincoln should compete with Cadillac on every level. That's what the rivalry between Lincoln and Cadillac is all about, it's always been the two American luxobrands against eachother. I mean, come on, they were founded by the same guy!

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350 View Post
    But Lincoln should compete with Cadillac on every level. That's what the rivalry between Lincoln and Cadillac is all about, it's always been the two American luxobrands against eachother. I mean, come on, they were founded by the same guy!
    You should know as well as anybody else that tradition in the auto industry means very little anymore. With Ford reeling in the US right now they could careless about competing with Cadillac because of a rivalry. They need to focus that money else where like bringing the Mondeo or Falcon or something over here that will actually sell. Lincoln has it's facelift now with the MKZ, MKX, Navigator, and LT. Ford just brought out the new 3.5 V6 which is replacing that old 3.0 or whatever it was and now they're bringing out a new 3.7 V6 just for the MKZ. Jaguar is getting it's new face lift done to the entire lineup and bringing out some new engines for them as well. With not a lot of money for R&D they are just going to have to take baby steps for the time being. So far they are on a road that is some what nice but they need to go back to RWD and V8's

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    You should know as well as anybody else that tradition in the auto industry means very little anymore. With Ford reeling in the US right now they could careless about competing with Cadillac because of a rivalry. They need to focus that money else where like bringing the Mondeo or Falcon or something over here that will actually sell. Lincoln has it's facelift now with the MKZ, MKX, Navigator, and LT. Ford just brought out the new 3.5 V6 which is replacing that old 3.0 or whatever it was and now they're bringing out a new 3.7 V6 just for the MKZ. Jaguar is getting it's new face lift done to the entire lineup and bringing out some new engines for them as well. With not a lot of money for R&D they are just going to have to take baby steps for the time being. So far they are on a road that is some what nice but they need to go back to RWD and V8's
    GM was reeling damn near as badly, but they still managed to completely retool Cadillac, making it world class again. And they still had enough cash to put out the V series!

GM was reeling damn near as badly, but they still managed to completely retool Cadillac, making it world class again. And they still had enough cash to put out the V series!
    The difference is Ford never wanted Lincoln to have a racing stigma around it. Back in the 90's they had a Lincoln Mark VIII NASCAR prototype that they wanted to use but Ford turned it down saying that they wanted them to use a Ford product and not a Lincoln because of them not wanting Lincoln associated with racing and then they started using the Taurus

Well they sure as hell never made a 4.6 powered Taurus.

Well they sure as hell never made a 4.6 powered Taurus.
    So? They didn't make a 2 door Taurus but that's what Ford used in NASCAR. They had the 3.0 or 3.2 Yamaha V6 for the SHO and that was more then enough motor for those cars. Ford wanted a Ford product to represent them and not a Lincoln because they didn't want Lincoln to have a race image. In 95 or 96 Ford discontinued the Thunderbird and since the Mark VIII shared the MN-12 platform that the Thunderbird used car owner Michael Kranefuss saw it as a logical replacement. Here's a link to an article about the NASCAR Mark VIII

http://mark8.org/lod/nascar.htm

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

NASCAR is like professional wrestling. It's faked. None of those cars are real or even remotely related to the ones you drive off the lot. Who the hell cares what name they shrink wrap on the body?

Exactly. And being as the Mark VIII was a Lincoln automobile, it never would have been considered for a NASCAR body. No matter WHAT pics you may have seen. And I must suffer from the need to drive a 97 and up Deville, because no matter how much I love my 91 and the ballsy acceleration it has, I still feel the need to pilot my dad's 92 Town Car and feel that wide road hugging weighted feel. I think the Town Car truly is the last great bastion of road worthiness around. There seems to be some barrier between full out two ton cars and less than two ton cars. Please, someone tell me, do 97 and ups feel as great on the road? Do they give that road mastering feel that my dad's Townie gives?

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I've driven many 1990-97 Town Cars, almost bought one (1996 executive series), by the road mastering feel, do you mean the sheer isolation and super plush ride? I've never driven a modern car that drives like those do! Town Cars are one of a kind!

Exactly. And being as the Mark VIII was a Lincoln automobile, it never would have been considered for a NASCAR body.
    Did you even read the article? NASCAR did approve the Mark VIII for NASCAR use

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I really would like to know just how good of a fight it would've put out. I think it would've done a great job.

It would have done a great job. For the time it had great aerodynamics an when they were testing the car it was supposedly laying down some great numbers and breaking a record or two I believe. I'm at school on one of the laptops and it's slow as balls so I don't even want to bother looking it up

lbwd is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD

Lincolns don't look too bad, at least not the 2002+ LS... BUT THEY ARE PUZZY'S! At least we can be happy and confident with our Caddilacs!

SHHMOKE `EM, DOOD.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.