general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Cadillac is #1 in my book, Lincoln is #2....
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

Cadillac is #1 in my book, Lincoln is #2.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    Cadillac is #1 in my book, Lincoln is #2.
    Depends on what your looking at. If your looking for entry level car then I would rank the MKZ higher then the CTS but obviously if your looking for performance then go with the CTS 3.6 or the V version. But when it comes to luxury I want something that looks the part and comparing the MKZ to the CTS interior wise there is no comparison at all

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

Quote Originally Posted by JCM1 View Post
    Don't forget the three vertical vents on either front quarter panel and the oval oprea windows in the rear pillars.
    Sounds like you are referring to the '77 - '79 Mark V, and those are gorgeous!

JRau in central Iowa

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

l I
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    Depends on what your looking at. If your looking for entry level car then I would rank the MKZ higher then the CTS but obviously if your looking for performance then go with the CTS 3.6 or the V version. But when it comes to luxury I want something that looks the part and comparing the MKZ to the CTS interior wise there is no comparison at all
    Well I meant over their entire lives. Cadillac has made more cars I like, but Lincoln has made some cars I'd die for. (58 Continental Mark III, 72 Mark IV, 95 VIII LSC, 94 Town Car Signature Series)

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

I hate the fact that Lincoln is basing their flagship future on a V6 powered front wheel drive Ford 500 clone. It seems like there are more Chrysler 300's on the road than Caravans they're such hot sellers. Obviously the market for large (120" wheelbase) luxury sedans has not died. And geez the 3.5L V6 in the 300 outpowers the TC's 4.6 V8, let alone any comparisons with the burly hemi. I think the Town Car has gotten too 'fat' looking. What has always made me love Caddy's is that even the longer cars were narrower so they had a lean mean look to them. So put the townie on a diet, keep it rear drive, give it at the very least a 3 valve 4.6 a la Mustang and see how it flies.

I agree, I love the fact that both companies started by Henry Leyland have survived the test of time. Imagine how great it would be if the Imperial nameplate were still around making sweet Hemi powered sedans! (not a Chrysler branded Imperial like they are planning). What really sucks is that with the death of the LS, and the impending cancellation of the Town Car (2009 or 2011?), Lincoln will have no V8 sedans, only trucks. I guess Lincoln is destined to become the luxury devision of Mazda, instead of "What a luxury car should be".

Quote Originally Posted by MachX View Post
    What really sucks is that with the death of the LS, and the impending cancellation of the Town Car (2009 or 2011?), Lincoln will have no V8 sedans, only trucks. I guess Lincoln is destined to become the luxury devision of Mazda, instead of "What a luxury car should be".
    I was pissed to hear that Lincoln was cancelling the V8 version of the MKS and it will only have the 3.5 V6. But I guess when the parent company is doing so well here I guess they have to cut costs somewhere and I guess V8 cars for their luxury division isn't a high priorety on their list of things to do. On the flip side though Ford has an advantage when compared to GM. Even though Lincoln might not be doing the best they still have Volvo, Aston Martin, and Jaguar as luxury brands while GM only has Cadillac and maybe you could through Saab in there but I just can't look at those cars and think luxury no matter what they do to them. Here's to hoping that Ford has a serious turnaround and starts making some bank again and we can start seeing more products come out of Lincoln. Hopefully they will have a turn around similar to what Caddy is experiencing as of late. One nice thing about the Lincoln'c though is they may not be the fastest or most powerful things on the road but with their redesigned interiors I think they dwarf in comparison to any domestic luxury division today. They just look the part of a luxury car. I've sat in Cadillac's best from the V series to the Escalade's and the only one that gave me a sense of luxury was the Escalade. The Cadillac cars for whatever reason just don't give me that upper echelon *sp?* feeling that the Lincoln's interiors give. But that's just my opinion and I'm sure plenty of people on here would beg to differ

EDIT: The new 3.5 V6 is a nice engine in itself and from what I remember reading when it first came out that F/I applications would be quite easy to do on them so maybe Lincoln will surprise us with a blown or turbo'd 3.5 option but I doubt it.

They're going to surprise us with an exclusive *try to contain your excitement* 3.7l V6 for the MKS. Wow THAT'll knock the socks off those haughty 300C drivers.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Maybe it will be like BMW's 3.0L though... V8 power in a six...

...maybe...

Yeah, I had to smile while typing that.

Haleykeek is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1994 Seville STS North*

look at how old the CTS is, and it's still selling well.and second,the CTS is rwd,the mkz is fwd; that in a whole,fwd kills the mkz off from being taken as a serious lexus or bmw fighter.the town-car is a good riding car,but the 2-valve motor gets blown away by the 4-valver in the cadillac dts.the navigator's interior is too hard to pass up,but it'll never get noticed with a second-class exterior and a grille that resembles an alligator.where's Lincolns answer to the XLR and XLR-V convertible? the Mark LT is more of an "F150-competitor" than an EXT competitor.even though the truck is thousands of dollars cheaper than the ESV,the Mark LT is'nt worth the extra cash over a fully loaded Lariat F150.Lincoln stole alot of Cadillac's styling and technology.Back in 1980,Cadillac introduced the "bustle-back" Seville.In two years later,Lincoln tried to answer back with the 1982 Continental,and it was obvious who they were aiming for.in 1977 the Seville had another wannabe competitor from Lincoln in the form of Versallies.what a joke.Cadillac has always had the power-pull down trunk lids as far back as 1976.Lincoln could'nt stand it any longer,and followed up in 1985 with that option on the Mark VII,and TC.In 1993 the Seville STS,and Eldorado introduced the NorthStar DOHC V8.wow what a coincidence Lincoln followed up with their DOHC engine family too, introduced in the uninspiring-looking Mark VIII,and Continental(which are both dead).where Lincoln shines the most in my opinion is their interiors.i gotta hand it to them,they know how to build a darn interior.The Navigator interior is hard to argue against.i sat down in the 07 Navigator,and i fell in love with it.the Exteriors are an absolute eye-sore.what was they thinking,and what were they smoking when they added on the braces for the nose,and those goofy-looking Zephyr taillights? Cadillac has some very nice designs,and they inspire many youths to take notice.Lincoln on the other hand could learn a lesson.

I have to disagree on only one point. Despite the fact the Zephyr/MKZ doesn't have rear drive or a V8 I absolutely love the styling on the car itself. Especially the front end, the grille, as on other Lincolns, is reminiscent of the 61 Continental which was a damn fine looking automobile. But without V8 power, Lincoln will never compete on the world stage like Cadillac is. Lincoln DID have the Mark X show car, which would have could have SHOULD have gone up against the XLR. Like I said in my previous post, the current lineup has potential, it just needs some different management to really put Lincoln back on the map.

Why would Lincoln who is having a hard enough time selling cars worry about trying to compete against a niche market convertible from Cadillac that isn't even selling well for them?

Because image leaders sell lower line cars. The Chrysler 300 or Ford Mustang wouldn't sell half as well without the image provided by the high performance models.

Quote Originally Posted by MachX View Post
    Because image leaders sell lower line cars. The Chrysler 300 or Ford Mustang wouldn't sell half as well without the image provided by the high performance models.
    That doesn't make sense. I mean Hyundai and Kia don't have any high performance models but yet their market shares keep on increasing

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

That doesn't make sense. I mean Hyundai and Kia don't have any high performance models but yet their market shares keep on increasing
    Those aren't prestige brands though. Completely different market strategy.
    They sell because they are economical people movers and play the value card for that audience. Obviously you can not use that kind of appeal on people shopping for performance luxury cars. In this market it is all about image and public perception.

Lincoln is dead. FoMoCo only keeps it hanging on to squeeze what they can from fans of the name. Throwing extra chrome and a leather interior on a Ford does not make them a serious luxury brand.
    If you want a performance luxury car made by Ford, buy a Jaguar.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.