general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Mindblowing! +10 for 4.6 Continental!...
    I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Re: general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

Mindblowing! +10 for 4.6 Continental!

Benzilla is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '79 Phaeton, '90 Brougham, '79 CDV

Cadillacs and Lincolns are both sh!tty cars, I'll take a Lexus any day!

Here is exactly the same thread over on cadillacowners, interesting to see what the Lincoln owners think..

70's Lincoln's V Cadillac's. - cadillacowners

Hey, why does it send me to our homepage when I click the link? I know the link is right.

AlBundy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe

I think this forum has some type of filter that doen't allow you to put links or other forums on it especially lincoln sites. I'v tried it. If you type (the other place dot com) it doen't work on this forum.

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln in terms of prestige and performance. The Town Car is a shadow of its former self.

The answer for Lincoln is to bring back the opera lamp and continental kit.

shit yeah.

I'd still take an early '90s Town Car in white with turbine wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Ormond View Post

Hell Yes!! Points for you!

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

Quote Originally Posted by I~LUV~Caddys8792 View Post
    yah, but was the '88-94 Continental worse to Lincoln than the 78-85 Diesels, or the HT4100 V8 was to Cadillac. Now this may be a pro cadillac site, but lets not forget some of cadillacs's screw ups: 1982-88 Cimmarron, 350 Diesel, 4.1, V8-6-4, the allante (it was a great car, it just never sold well or got good reviews) see, just because Lincoln has played 2nd fiddle to Cadillac for most of the 20th century doesnt mean Lincoln is bad. IMO Lincoln could never catch up in the sales race because they didnt have as many models as Cadillac does.
    I gotta agree with you, I LUV Caddys8792,

Cadillac has had its' share of blunders. All car companies have made mistakes throughout their histories. I think Cadillac had the edge over Lincoln in the style/looks department during the 60's, but Cadillac and Lincoln had equally good looks during mid 70's. Once Cadillac downsized, Lincoln's looked better through the end of that decade. I had a '79 Lincoln Continental Town Coupe with the factory deep dish aluminum wheels. I loved that car and it was classy. I wish I could get it back. The '84 - '89 Town Cars were good looking, dependable cars, and Cadillac RWD cars were classy cars as well, no doubt. Now, however, I love my '91 Brougham, and loved my '92 Sedan DeVille, prior to selling it.

Lincoln and Cadillac both have produced great cars throughout their histories. I just don't care for the newer styling of either the Lincolns or the Cadillacs.

JRau

JCM1 is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ormond View Post
    Cadillac is way ahead of Lincoln in terms of prestige and performance. The Town Car is a shadow of its former self.

Don't forget the three vertical vents on either front quarter panel and the oval oprea windows in the rear pillars.

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

First, let's put the sales argument to rest. The first year that the Navy was out Lincoln sales surpassed Cadillac sales for the first time in history. In fact, beginning in the 50's on up Lincoln sales went from a fraction of Cadillac sales to whopping triple digit % gains each decade on up until 1998 when the Nav came out and Lincoln finally beat Cadillac in sales. This may have continued for a couple of years until the Escalade came out, I'm not sure. And you can say what you want about the current situation, but there have been many times in history when Lincoln has beaten Cadillac to the punch. 1937 Zephyr, a wildly popular design. 1940 Continental, one of the most artistic and beautiful designs of all time. The 1956 Continental Mark II, inventing the personal luxury car. And while many buffs drool over the 1959 Eldorado Brougham, I would DIE to own a 1958-1960 Continental Mark. Just google 1958 Continental Mark III, and see what I am talking about. (make mine a convertible!). And those marks had a massive 430 cubic inch 'Mel' engine standard, 375 hp besting Caddy's 'measily' 365 ci at 335 hp. Lincoln hit a masterful design in 1961 with the streamlined suicide door Continental. And the 1970 Continental is the most badass looking luxury car ever, combining Darth Vader looks with sumptuous luxury, decades before the Grand National or Star Wars was conceived. Fast forward to 1990, Lincoln goes against 10 years of downsizing trends and gives us a fully redesigned, and longer lower wider Town Car in fine american tradition. This car won the prestigious Motor Trend COTY award against all odds for its refinement, ride, and overall design. The following year gave us the turbine smooth 4.6 engine. It took Cadillac three more years to catch up with the Fleetwood, and while its Corvette derived engine was more powerful, it wasn't as smooth or nearly as fuel efficient.
    And it wasn't until 1996 that the Northstar was standard for the deVille. 1998 brings us the Navigator, the vehicle that finally pushed Lincoln sales ahead of Cadillac, who had to rush the Escalade into production to keep up. 2000, and Lincoln wins another Motor Trend COTY award with the stunning Lincoln LS, a BMW 5 series car at a 3 series price, obliterating the Catera with its wimpy styling and V6 engine. And while the current Town Car hasn't changed much in 17 years, I love the fact that it still bears a connection to the original 1961 Lincoln. Lincoln's problem right now is staid management who is worried about money, instead of out Cadillacing Cadillac like they did throughout the 50's 60's and 70's. The other problem is that perhaps Ford bit off more than they could chew by purchasing Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Volvo. And you can say what you want, but I think it says something for big comfy body on frame american sedans when the 18 year old Grand Marquis is STILL Mercury's best selling model, despite the new Milan and Montego. (the Milan based on the Fusion which was declared the 'most desirable mid-sized car' by JD Power). With all that being said, the new DTS is to DIE for, and I hope Lincoln gets new management that will go back to the old days of beating the pants off of Cadillac. Lincoln was also the first to offer the Lincoln BPS, a heavily fortified sedan with bullet resistant windows (6 inches thick!) and body armour which could resist grenade explosions. Cadillac quickly followed suit. Bottom line - both marquees are great with their ups and downs, and you can be proud no matter which one you drive. The performance is not THAT much worse with a Townie, they are only a second slower to 60 mph despite their 400 pound weight extra. (8.5 vs 7 to 7.5 depending on the tester). And Cadillac is FINALLY debating a long wheelbase DTS to keep up with Lincoln's long wheelbase Town Car L. Big cars are back BABY.

Yes!! Thank you! Somebody finally stands up for Lincoln!

MachX is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1991 Sedan deVille 4.9L/1994 Lincoln Town Car 4.6L

Well despite being a Cadillac owner/fanatic, I always had an emotional attachment to Lincolns. My dad had a beautiful black on black leather 1979 Continental Town Car. I damn near cried when he sold it for $400 instead of keeping it for me. After that he bought a dark blue 1992 Town Car which is the car I learned to drive in and he still has to this day.

JRau is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1997 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 1993 Sedan De Ville

MachX:

Very interesting and informative post on the Lincoln marque. I, too, share your sentiments. I am a big Ford fan, and have owned a beautiful '79 Continental Town Coupe with those gorgeous deep dish aluminum wheels. I do love my Cadillacs, but I would be very proud to own a Lincoln as well. I like the Town Cars the best, up to 1997 bodystyle. I've got my eye on one at the retirement community I work at. The lady has a '97 TC with just 34,000 miles on this white with red leather interior beauty. I detailed it--(easiest one I've ever done) and the lady lets me drive it around whenever I want to.

Points to you.

JRau in central Iowa

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

I don't see the reasoning behind the Lincoln v. Cadillac hatred. I think we should just be happy with the fact that America has two luxury divisions that can even put out products that could be able to compete with the worlds best.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.