Cadillac Owners Forum banner
22K views 114 replies 31 participants last post by  thebigjimsho 
#1 ·
i was curious to see what you guys had noticed were some differences between Lincoln and Cadillac. heres what i've got:
1- Lincolns have a plusher ride and a more luxurious interior.
2- Cadillac has always had a wider model range
3- Lincoln shares their motors with Ford, Cadillac for the most part uses exclusive motors.
4- Cadillac has always seemed more ready to go into more modern designs & Ideas (1959 all models, 1967 Eldorado, they downsized first in 1977, 1976 Seville, 1980 Seville, 1992 STS, CTS, XLR, V Series)
5- Lincoln borrows some of cadillacs' ideas (1977 Versailles, 1988 Continental)

thats all i've got now.

#101 ·
I've driven many 1990-97 Town Cars, almost bought one (1996 executive series), by the road mastering feel, do you mean the sheer isolation and super plush ride? I've never driven a modern car that drives like those do! Town Cars are one of a kind!

#104 ·
It would have done a great job. For the time it had great aerodynamics an when they were testing the car it was supposedly laying down some great numbers and breaking a record or two I believe. I'm at school on one of the laptops and it's slow as balls so I don't even want to bother looking it up

#106 ·
I really love ******************* debates, and now I can get this topic going again because I just signed on the dotted line for a nice 1994 Town Car. Yes, it's rather old, but it only has 100k miles on it, and one test drive reminded me of how solid these cars were/are. It's 13 years old, but runs and drives like it's right off the ol wixom line. Bumps make zero squeaks/rattles. NONE. The engine is nearly non existant, emitting but a faint whisper even under heavy throttle. It makes my 91 Deville feel like junk. The first few times I started it, I thought the engine had stalled it drops to such a nonexistant idle. Not a quiver. Even with the A/C on, you feel zero vibration at idle. Now, it's no race car. With only 210hp you won't be dragging with it. But there's no exhaust burble to be heard from within the cabin. Whereas my Deville's exhaust gets audible when you punch the gas. Of course that is definately not a bad thing, the sound of a growling V8 is heavenly. But it's interesting to note the difference in character between two cars that are compared or described to be so similar. The Deville/DTS has a burly V8, and has been increasingly geared toward performance/road feel, whilst the Town Car is set up for smooth isolated cruising. Both cars are so similar, but so different. It's like both cars are a compromise/compliment to each other. But all signs are pointing to both cars being killed so we should enjoy them while we can.

#108 ·
Well most reviewers see fit to put the DTS/Town Car in the same category, but they've become worlds apart. Whereas the DTS is trying to be a full size car that can handle like a sports sedan, the TC is 'a thoughtful take on a time honoured formula'. I hate reviewers who make the TC to be a dinosaur. Ford has made many updates to the panther platform, it is nothing like what it was in 1979. That's like saying a 1999 Mustang is the same as it was in 1979. Just because the platform isn't 'all new' doesn't mean that Ford hasn't made significant advances to it. The DTS comes with advanced Bose audio, the TC with THX Certified JBL audio. Both are available with advanced satellite navigation. They always make it like the TC is exactly the same as it was in 1979, which just isn't the case.

#109 ·
I do really like the 99-02 TC Touring Sedans with the "birds eye maple" wood trim and the special wheels.

#110 ·
As having just upgraded from an '04 to an '07 Town Car L Executive Series, I went with Lincoln for 3 reasons.

1. Interior space.
2. Bulletproof drivetrain.
3. RWD.

I like the ride and the classic looks of this generation TC. It looks WORLDS better than the goofy '98-'02 Batmobiles. The 4.6 is pretty underpowered and the transmission is lethargic but that doesn't matter when you *****foot around with clients. But if Cadillac could get the DTS with at least 2 of the 3 things listed above, I'd switch over to Cadillac. There's a lot of things Lincoln does that makes no sense, though.

But what I find funny is what does Sedan deVille mean in English?

#111 ·
I don't get it. I've heard SO many times how the TC's tranny is slow to downshift, but for some reason the tranny in my 94 reacts very readily to the throttle. In fact the whole drivetrain responds readily to what I want it to do. When entering onramps, I can give it either mid throttle for decent entry, or heavy throttle for 2nd gear entry. When I hit the pedal to pass, it feels every bit as strong as the 4.9 in my Deville. And personally, I LOVE the 98-2002 Tc's. I think the 'cat's eye' headlights look awesome. I hate how they changed the newer ones to more resemble the lesser Grand Marquis. And 'Sedan DeVille' loosely translates to 'Car of the Town' a term that dates back to the 30's where 'Town Sedan' was used by many brands to represent a 4 door 'coach'.

#112 ·
I've read so many times where the TC's tranny is slow to downshift, but with my 94, I just don't find that being the case. It kicks down readily when I hit the throttle, and has great passing power. It feels every bit as muscular as my 4.9 powered Deville. I like the 98-02 TC's 'cat's eye' headlamps, I think they look awesome. I hate how the '03 and up cars now look more like a lesser Grand Marquis. And 'Sedan DeVille' loosely translates as 'Car of the Town', which is a throwback to the 30's or 20's when many brands used the term 'Town Sedan' to identify a 4 door 'coach'.

#113 ·
I don't see in any way, shape or form the Town Car looking like a lesser Grand Marquis. It looks like a modern, natural progression of the '94-'97 Town Car. I think the front end of the Town Car is darn near perfect for a stately chauffeured vehicle.

The '98-'02 was simply heinous.

#114 ·
The front of the car, the headlights more resemble the GM, than the 98 era cars do. The front end just looks cobbled together with that body colour strip between the grille and bumper, and I hate how the grille isn't lined up with the headlights. The styling of the 98's was awesome, but I think it's time to reinvent the car with a 61 retro restyling a la 2002 Continental Concept! Shorten it a bit a la 300, tighten the handling a little, go back to some slab sided styling. make it look unmistakeably classic lincoln from all angles.

#115 ·
Sure, if Lincoln does that, they lose whatever sales they had left with livery companies. Chrysler came out with a 300L to try to get some extra sales. Handling needs to stay comfortable for clients. As for opinions on styling, you are on a small island...

And the headlights look, and more importantly work, better than those pu55yeye looking things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.