general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Have you seen the film 'Donnie Brasco'? "Cadillac is better than a Lincoln, fogeddaboudet!" And the 500 was quite exclusive! ...
    70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Re: general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

Have you seen the film 'Donnie Brasco'? "Cadillac is better than a Lincoln, fogeddaboudet!"

And the 500 was quite exclusive! (though, it being a bored out 472) Proud to have one!

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I think in "Donnie Brasco" they said "driving a lincoln is like driving a waterbed" or something to that extent

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by JC316
    Still not sure about that, as the LSC adds 3.27 rear end gears and gets 295 HP. Not only that, but the "weight difference" is a mere 6LBS in favor of the lincoln (3768 for the mark and 3774 for the eldo). And if you want to get right down to it, it is really the skill of the drivers (reaction time, gear selection etc etc..) and certain variables such as tire pressureand how much gas is in the tank that are other factors in the times. So really, it is too close to call.
    No, it's not too close to call. The LSC is rated at 290, not 295 last time I checked. The ETC weighs in just over 3800, but still puts down a better power/weight, and has 3.71s. We'll assume both cars are on 1/8th tank with similar tires running similar pressures. Since reaction times don't count as part of ET, I doubt driver skill is going to make up .25, especially with an automatic. Don't spin too much on the launch, keep it straight, manually shift the Mark, and that's all the driver skill you can exercise.

I'd love to see Lincoln make a Mark IX based on the Mustang with the 300hp 3v as the base motor, plus an SVT/LSC version using some form of blower. Just as much as I'd love to see Cadillac make a new ETC based on the STS with 320hp plus the 469hp V version.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

You know some people said Lincoln was behind the times as far as Cadillac is concerned, but I'm reminded of one situation that put the lincoln ahead. the NAVIGATOR. Cadillac wasnt planning on building an SUV, lincoln did in 98 and it sold pretty well. Cadillac saw this, and thats why in 99 you had the rebadged yukon denali with no other real changes, they had to get it out ASAP to compete with the lincoln.

94ETC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

A 1996 Mark runs a 7.2 0-60,and a 15.3 1/4 mile.A 1996 ETC runs a 6.6 0-60 and a 14.8 1/4 mile.ETC takes it there.1998 Mark LSC runs a 7 flat in the 0-60 and a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile.Where as the 1998 ETC runs a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.ETC again.A 1995 Continental ran a 7.7 0-60 and a 15.9 1/4 mile.A 1995 SLS ran a 6.9 0-60 and a 15.1 1/4 mile.SLS wins easily.A 1995 STS ran a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.

The Northstar hit the market in 1992 in the Allante.The Northstar WAS engineered for Cadillacs.Then they downsized it for the Aurora,and recently started putting them in the Bonnevilles.This is a Cadillac engine.When it came out it was exclusivly for Cadillac.

The Navigator put nothing more than a small dime size ding in Cadillac sales.Cadillac was still way ahead.

94ETC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oh and I have eaten my brother's 1998 Mark LSC plenty of times.He keeps insisting he can beat me.It can't be done stock for stock.He has yet to beat me.I have yet to beat him by less than 5 car lengths.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Re: The Northstar lineage issue...

There has been some debate about the fact that the Oldsmobile Quad4 engine was the original point of conception for what is now known as the Northstar... however that has been all but quashed here on this forum. Still, Ive seen various sources reporting this over the years.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Oh yeah, I've heard that too, Oldsmobile was designing a bigger brother for the Quad 4, named the Quad 8. But Oldsmobile didn't get the funding or something, so Cadillac got it and renamed it Northstar.

Randy_W is offline Banned

Like Playdrv4me said, that was a load of bunk. Both engines were being developed at the same time and the Quad4 was started earlier, that's probably where the notion started. There was a Quad Eight under development for the upcoming Aurora, but GM Powertrain Division halted work in favor of using a smaller Northstar derivitive because of the cost.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

In stock trim with my non LSC Mark VIII I ran a 14.921 @ 96.75 mph and that was with a slipping tranny and a bad MLPS sensor. Magazine times mean nothing. Manually shifting the gears gets you better times then just throwing it in drive and flooring it. 95-96 LSC Mark VIII's are good for mid 14's and a few have even hit 14.1's in stock trim. But at the end of the day even if the Mark VIII is slower then the ETC I'd still take the Mark VIII due to 2 things. RWD & available aftermarket versus a Northstar.

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by 94ETC View Post
    A 1996 Mark runs a 7.2 0-60,and a 15.3 1/4 mile.A 1996 ETC runs a 6.6 0-60 and a 14.8 1/4 mile.ETC takes it there.1998 Mark LSC runs a 7 flat in the 0-60 and a 15 flat in the 1/4 mile.Where as the 1998 ETC runs a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.ETC again.A 1995 Continental ran a 7.7 0-60 and a 15.9 1/4 mile.A 1995 SLS ran a 6.9 0-60 and a 15.1 1/4 mile.SLS wins easily.A 1995 STS ran a 6.4 0-60 and a 14.7 1/4 mile.

The Northstar hit the market in 1992 in the Allante.The Northstar WAS engineered for Cadillacs.Then they downsized it for the Aurora,and recently started putting them in the Bonnevilles.This is a Cadillac engine.When it came out it was exclusivly for Cadillac.

The Navigator put nothing more than a small dime size ding in Cadillac sales.Cadillac was still way ahead.
    That info is all wrong, The Gen I marks have been faster then the Gen II. Gen I can hit the same number as your ETC. so its basically a drivers win. The Gen II are the same as ESC but a chip brings them up to a gen I preformance.
    But the continental can't match the seville preformance but maybe able to keep up with a SLS if it spins off the line.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The Continental really shines from 50-100. Drag racing isnt really something it does that well.

mrman88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): STS & Catera

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me View Post
    And the largest irony is that they were both spawned by the same creator many many years ago.

But yes, for the most part Lincoln has always trailed Cadillac, and really most of the luxury industry for that matter. Either in power, features or design but that doesnt mean they havent had some very desirable cars over the years.

I really wouldnt say that Cadillac's engines are necessarily any more exclusive than Lincoln's though. I mean the LSV8 has a relatively exclusive engine which was also used by Jaguar for a time, the Navigator has a smoothed over version of the 5.4 Triton and the Escalade has the same 6.0L corporate Vortec motor as some of the other truck line (and the exact same 5.3L in the 2WD models), also with some refinements of its own. The Northstar has had various iterations also used in vehicles like the Oldsmobile Aurora and the Bonneville GXP (which is basically the same G Chassis as the DTS and previous STS anyway). The CTS 3.6 is somewhat exclusive for now, but its going to be shared soon with Saturn and of course the CTS-V has the corporate LS Vette engine. So I'd say a good 80 percent of the engine designs within Caddy are in fact in some way or another used in other brands.

The Cadillac Catera shares its engine with the L Series Saturns.

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0101 View Post
    That info is all wrong, The Gen I marks have been faster then the Gen II. Gen I can hit the same number as your ETC. so its basically a drivers win. The Gen II are the same as ESC but a chip brings them up to a gen I preformance.
    But the continental can't match the seville preformance but maybe able to keep up with a SLS if it spins off the line.
    Main reason for that is the gen I's are OBDI while the 2nd gen's are OBDII

Mark0101 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): past 88 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by Mark0101 View Post
    sorry I take that back the continental will be the same as the Cadillac sts.
    YouTube - '98 Lincoln Continental 0-80 MPH
    0-60----6.4 seconds(260 HP)
    its slower on top end
    YouTube - 2001 Continental really puched
    0-60----6.6 (275 HP)
    alot faster on top end
    0-100 MPH 15 seconds flat

both are stock

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.