general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln?? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by JC316 HOLD IT!!!!! The Mark VIII does NOT use a cobra motor. The Cobra uses a Mark ...
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: general differences between Cadillac and Lincoln??

Quote Originally Posted by JC316
    HOLD IT!!!!! The Mark VIII does NOT use a cobra motor. The Cobra uses a Mark VIII motor. Lincolns are usually quicker than Cadillacs, but give off a rougher ride. Cadillac uses a more "European Luxury" Lincoln goes for more "Sporty Luxury". Caddy and Lincoln both have cool gadets that usually don't work and cost a lot to fix. Lincoln has more comfy intereior, but Caddy has more class on the inside. Lincoln has better styling than Caddy, but the caddy gets better gas milage. These are the best comparisons I can come up with.
    Sorry, I was going by volume and I'm fairly confident there were more Cobras made. Styling is subjective, I like both companys styling ideas excluding the newer Town Cars.

And wait a minute. The ETC is faster than the Mark VIII. The DeVille is WAY faster than the Town Car. The Seville is faster than the Continental ever was. And the CTS V6 is about as fast as the LS8, and don't make me bring up the V series.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout
    Oh really?
    Yeah now that you mention it I'm damn sure the Northstar is above all a Cadillac engine. Used in literally hundreds of thousands of Cadillacs, and a few Olds and Buicks.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

Just read the engine cover of the first few years of Northstars! "Made exclusively for Cadillac by General Motors".

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by caddydaddy
    Just read the engine cover of the first few years of Northstars! "Made exclusively for Cadillac by General Motors".

Hey! It says the same thing on the air cleaner sitting atop the Chevy 350 in my Brougham! Wow!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    Hey! It says the same thing on the air cleaner sitting atop the Chevy 350 in my Brougham! Wow!

Brian

The air cleaner on the Broughams was a Cadillac exclusive!

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Yeah now that you mention it I'm damn sure the Northstar is above all a Cadillac engine. Used in literally hundreds of thousands of Cadillacs, and a few Olds and Buicks.
    The Northstar was originally from what company........begins with Olds and ends with mobile.....

The Northstar was originally from what company........begins with Olds and ends with mobile.....
    B Rob, has said that Olds had nothing to do with the Northstar!

GM engineer or you... who to believe, who to believe...

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Hmm, not sure about the ETC and Mark. It would be interesting to run a 96 LSC Mark vs a 96 ETC and see who would win. I know the ETC would whoop a Gen2 mark. Deville beating a Towncar I would agree with this as the town cars are slow as shit. According to the consumer guide, a 96 Connie will beat a seville SLS and match a STS. And the new towncar styling blows.

ben72227 is offline Banned

Lincoln was IMO at Cadillac's level in the 70s, but since then they've been 2nd when it comes to American Luxury. Lincolns (and Ford in general) always seemed so bland, while Cadillacs were flamboyant and flashy.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by ben72227
    Lincoln was IMO at Cadillac's level in the 70s, but since then they've been 2nd when it comes to American Luxury. Lincolns (and Ford in general) always seemed so bland, while Cadillacs were flamboyant and flashy.
    Actually until around 1950 Lincoln did better that Cadillac and Cadillac has been on top since then.

Cadillac was on top of the game in the 1970's.

addison_ii is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1994 Sedan Deville

No the Northstar was actually conceived by Cadillac. If you remember the 1988 Voyage engine was the prototype for the Vin Y NorthStar(4.5HO producing 275hp). Olds used the smaller variation of the engine for the Aurora 4.0ltr.

Quote Originally Posted by JC316
    Hmm, not sure about the ETC and Mark. It would be interesting to run a 96 LSC Mark vs a 96 ETC and see who would win. I know the ETC would whoop a Gen2 mark. Deville beating a Towncar I would agree with this as the town cars are slow as shit. According to the consumer guide, a 96 Connie will beat a seville SLS and match a STS. And the new towncar styling blows.
    The ETC will take the LSC. My friends Mark VIII non LSC runs 1/4 second slower than my ETC, the extra 10hp isn't going to make that up. The ETC has slightly better power/weight and 3.71 gearing.

Randy_W is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by addison_ii
    No the Northstar was actually conceived by Cadillac. If you remember the 1988 Voyage engine was the prototype for the Vin Y NorthStar(4.5HO producing 275hp). Olds used the smaller variation of the engine for the Aurora 4.0ltr.
    Don't listen to old Ford Boy! The Northstar was designed and built for Cadillac first.

JC316 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 Seville SLS *Lord Vadar*

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The ETC will take the LSC. My friends Mark VIII non LSC runs 1/4 second slower than my ETC, the extra 10hp isn't going to make that up. The ETC has slightly better power/weight and 3.71 gearing.
    Still not sure about that, as the LSC adds 3.27 rear end gears and gets 295 HP. Not only that, but the "weight difference" is a mere 6LBS in favor of the lincoln (3768 for the mark and 3774 for the eldo). And if you want to get right down to it, it is really the skill of the drivers (reaction time, gear selection etc etc..) and certain variables such as tire pressureand how much gas is in the tank that are other factors in the times. So really, it is too close to call.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.