90 Fleetwood Brougham vs 90 Lincoln Towncar
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 90 Fleetwood Brougham vs 90 Lincoln Towncar in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Just trying to cure my curiosity here.. I'm wondering which car was more comfortable, soft, plush and mushy.. I know ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

90 Fleetwood Brougham vs 90 Lincoln Towncar

Just trying to cure my curiosity here.. I'm wondering which car was more comfortable, soft, plush and mushy.. I know the Cadillac was more powerful - but which handled more harshly? Which had the softer ride?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: 90 Fleetwood Brougham vs 90 Lincoln Towncar

Town Car always rode nicer but had that "boat-like" feel too.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre
    Don't know between a 1990 and a 1990, but between my 1991 with the 5.7L and a 1996 Town Car you notice more power from the Cadillac. I forget what cornering and stopping is like but I think the Cadillac has the softer ride.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Traditionally, livery/limousine customers always said the Lincoln had the better ride but, the Cadillac had more power, handled better, and lasted longer. Since I was the fleet manager, I cared more about long-term durability than how cushie the ride was, so I always bought Cadillac.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Lincoln always had that really nice air ride system that they still use...... Love it!!!!

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The lincon and the anemic 5.0 liter 90 were prbably a close match. The 5.7 liter was a different car. Although it looks the same, the suspension and differential were better in the 5.7 car along with the sway bars and spring rates, among other things not to mention the motor. The 5.7 liter car did not ride sloppy and uncontrollable as does the lincoln or the 5.0 car, but offeres a comfortable and controlable approach to a big car. The 90-92 5.7 liters are the really as good as it got for a brougham as a whole with looks driveline combined. Too bad they did not put the LT1 in the 90-92 and left it for an even larger and less attractive car in 94-96, but thats typical GM. The 94-96 are however a blast to drive and great cars.. Just too bad for the poor 93...

I figured the '92 was probably the softest of all.. I've never driven in one and I'd like to. I'm guessing from what I read here, that the Lincoln probably had a slightly softer ride but handled pretty bad - and on the other hand, the Cadillac had a soft ride almost as close as the Lincoln, but handled much better...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Ultra Slow is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I have always questioned the motives of cadillac and lincoln in having a cars handling severly sacrificed for ride comfort. Its nice to float down the road in a smooth car, but when you see something in the road, hopefully not a person, and you take drastic measures to avoid hitting that object and the car wallers over on itself, understerring at the same time right towards the target you are trying to miss, adds a bit of concern to me and may have to cadillac too. All Town cars were this way in stock form and most older cadillacs too. It was not until the 90-92, namely the 5.7 cars, and newer broughams that the car could actually handel a bit better. The main reason for this was the 6" wheels were dumped for 7" and the tires were a bit bigger, ususally 235/70 15 instead of those bicycle size tires 215 75 15 that have absolutly no business on a car the size of a cadillac and was an appeal to the survey of cadillac buyers..."we dont want to spend alot on money to replace tires". This ride comfort delima with the severe sacrifice of handeling could be one of the resons cadillac phased the large car out as they got it to handle and lost the appeal of the boat lover ride, ususaly the older crowd.
    In a city like Dallas with packed roads and instant stop traffic with crazy obsticles in the road daily, an old Brougham is simply unsafe in stock form, in my opinion due to its poor ability to turn in an emegency. The town car is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    I figured the '92 was probably the softest of all.. I've never driven in one and I'd like to. I'm guessing from what I read here, that the Lincoln probably had a slightly softer ride but handled pretty bad - and on the other hand, the Cadillac had a soft ride almost as close as the Lincoln, but handled much better...

I very-much understand the way you feel.. This is probably why the Lexus LS is such a hit. It has a ride that almost drowns out any bump in the road, but it's not floaty and feels safe.. I wish a Domestic company could come up with something like that.. Maybe Buick will..

c5cruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1995 Fleetwood Brougham, 98 Corvette, 99 Saburban and 03 VTX

Both nice cars and love them both but I'm picking up my 95 FWB today.
    Sorry LTC but I went with the Cadillac. Better ride, better feel, better pedigree, better performance, etc. etc. etc..
    Oh and I got a great deal on the Brougham but they are always a bit more than newer model LTC's. That alone tells me more about the Brougham.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.