Cadillac Owners Forum banner
8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  c5cruiser 
#1 ·
Just trying to cure my curiosity here.. I'm wondering which car was more comfortable, soft, plush and mushy.. I know the Cadillac was more powerful - but which handled more harshly? Which had the softer ride?

#5 ·
Lincoln always had that really nice air ride system that they still use...... Love it!!!!

#6 ·
The lincon and the anemic 5.0 liter 90 were prbably a close match. The 5.7 liter was a different car. Although it looks the same, the suspension and differential were better in the 5.7 car along with the sway bars and spring rates, among other things not to mention the motor. The 5.7 liter car did not ride sloppy and uncontrollable as does the lincoln or the 5.0 car, but offeres a comfortable and controlable approach to a big car. The 90-92 5.7 liters are the really as good as it got for a brougham as a whole with looks driveline combined. Too bad they did not put the LT1 in the 90-92 and left it for an even larger and less attractive car in 94-96, but thats typical GM. The 94-96 are however a blast to drive and great cars.. Just too bad for the poor 93...

#7 ·
I figured the '92 was probably the softest of all.. I've never driven in one and I'd like to. I'm guessing from what I read here, that the Lincoln probably had a slightly softer ride but handled pretty bad - and on the other hand, the Cadillac had a soft ride almost as close as the Lincoln, but handled much better...

#8 ·
I have always questioned the motives of cadillac and lincoln in having a cars handling severly sacrificed for ride comfort. Its nice to float down the road in a smooth car, but when you see something in the road, hopefully not a person, and you take drastic measures to avoid hitting that object and the car wallers over on itself, understerring at the same time right towards the target you are trying to miss, adds a bit of concern to me and may have to cadillac too. All Town cars were this way in stock form and most older cadillacs too. It was not until the 90-92, namely the 5.7 cars, and newer broughams that the car could actually handel a bit better. The main reason for this was the 6" wheels were dumped for 7" and the tires were a bit bigger, ususally 235/70 15 instead of those bicycle size tires 215 75 15 that have absolutly no business on a car the size of a cadillac and was an appeal to the survey of cadillac buyers..."we dont want to spend alot on money to replace tires". This ride comfort delima with the severe sacrifice of handeling could be one of the resons cadillac phased the large car out as they got it to handle and lost the appeal of the boat lover ride, ususaly the older crowd.
In a city like Dallas with packed roads and instant stop traffic with crazy obsticles in the road daily, an old Brougham is simply unsafe in stock form, in my opinion due to its poor ability to turn in an emegency. The town car is even worse.

Sal Collaziano said:
I figured the '92 was probably the softest of all.. I've never driven in one and I'd like to. I'm guessing from what I read here, that the Lincoln probably had a slightly softer ride but handled pretty bad - and on the other hand, the Cadillac had a soft ride almost as close as the Lincoln, but handled much better...

#9 ·
I very-much understand the way you feel.. This is probably why the Lexus LS is such a hit. It has a ride that almost drowns out any bump in the road, but it's not floaty and feels safe.. I wish a Domestic company could come up with something like that.. Maybe Buick will..

#10 ·
Both nice cars and love them both but I'm picking up my 95 FWB today.
Sorry LTC but I went with the Cadillac. Better ride, better feel, better pedigree, better performance, etc. etc. etc..
Oh and I got a great deal on the Brougham but they are always a bit more than newer model LTC's. That alone tells me more about the Brougham.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.