Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  davesdeville 
#1 ·
Last night I decided to get some Wendy's drive through, when I got to the window the girl asked me if my car was a Lincoln? WHAT!? I couldn't have felt more insulted. Then I just realized she's a drive through window girl and the only guys she's been around only drive lincolns at best :nyanya:

#5 ·
i may have to purchase a new car, because mine leaks coolant and i run the risk of it over heating and killing the motor. my father told me i should get something "economical and cheap" meaning 4 cylinder accord, but i would probably end up gettin a Town Car because i hear only good things about them, and i dont hear the best reviews of the 4.9's and the N*'s. I hear pretty good remarks about the '90-'97 TC's the only major thing is the air suspension going bad and if that went, i would get it converted to coils anyways. but hopefully i'll keep the caddy.

#9 ·
Well, u guys had it good compared to one of my experiences. I hat do drive my parents to a party once and when I got there people complemented me on my car but this one guy who has a civic coupe with a manual gearbox is like "that's pretty nice, it's probably a 6-cylinder right?" I tell him it has a 4.6 V8. Then he goes on talking about how quick a civic is with a manual tranny :disappoin . I was happy I didn't have to stay there for too long.

#11 ·
94ETC said:
I used to have had to deal with the kid at school with the 2001 Mustang GT.Until I got tired of it and we took the GT and the ETC on the highway.I seldom here from him anymore.
lol nice!

#15 ·
Blackout said:
No speed limiter on Mustangs and what do your Z rated tires have to do with anything?
Cars are chipped from the factory based upon their suspension and speed rating of their tires. Factory Z-rated tires mean a lot. ;)

GT Mustangs are also over-rated by fanboys. If it doesn't have Saleen or Cobra on it: :yawn: .

Back to the topic:

Cadillacs are finely chiseled while Lincolns are bulbous and bloated looking (at least in the last few generations; there was a time when they used to be much closer in design philosophy). Mistaking one for the other could only come from someone with complete ignorance of cars in general (which sounds to be the case).

#16 ·
gothicaleigh said:
Cars are chipped from the factory based upon their suspension and speed rating of their tires. Factory Z-rated tires mean a lot. ;)
GT Mustangs are also over-rated by fanboys. If it doesn't have Saleen or Cobra on it: :yawn: .
After re-reading his post I misinterperted *sp?* it. But yeah Z rated tires are nice but no Caddy is going to get anywhere near those speeds that Z rated tires are for. At the most W rated or maybe V rated will be tops for a Caddy. Z rated is just to make a car sound more sporty ie., my Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V came with Z rated tires but the highest I got it up too was 142 mph and it wasn't going much faster then that

#17 ·
Z-rated tires are rated at 149mph +. ETC's and STS's are limited at 150mph.:p And about my good time with the Mustang, we got up to about 110mph with me ahead the whole way(must have not have been a good driver, I manually shifted the entire time) and he let off. I kept going. He got scared. So I win.:)

#19 ·
i drove a 1994 Lincoln Mark 8.i am already the proud owner of a 94 Seville STS.i drove the Lincoln,and was not impressed with the power of the 4.6Litre enge.it just felt weak,and goofy.the air suspension was silly.the owner had to wait after he started it to make the bags rise up.i laughed to myself,and test drove it any way.boy was i glad that i did'nt waste money on buying that car.from a stand still,my STS just felt like it pulled harder from out of the hole.the lincoln,just did'nt feel like my Caddy.i thought that i was missing out on something with buying a Mark VIII,but i guess not.my duals sound alot better and have a deeper raspy note,and resonate better than that Lincoln that i drove.

#20 ·
Haleykeek said:
i drove a 1994 Lincoln Mark 8.i am already the proud owner of a 94 Seville STS.i drove the Lincoln,and was not impressed with the power of the 4.6Litre enge.it just felt weak,and goofy.the air suspension was silly.the owner had to wait after he started it to make the bags rise up.i laughed to myself,and test drove it any way.boy was i glad that i did'nt waste money on buying that car.from a stand still,my STS just felt like it pulled harder from out of the hole.the lincoln,just did'nt feel like my Caddy.i thought that i was missing out on something with buying a Mark VIII,but i guess not.my duals sound alot better and have a deeper raspy note,and resonate better than that Lincoln that i drove.
Just by going on you saying that he had to wait for the bags to fill up after the car wa started is leading me to believe that the car was a total POS. One of the first things that happened to my Mark VIII was the air bag system got canned and I replaced them with a coilover conversion with a 2" drop and then a tuneup and boy did that make a difference. And even before then the day I picked it up I raced Katshot with his FTS (14.5 1/4 if you didn't know) and with my car being bone stock we hit it and I was slowly pulling on him. I've driven a few N* powered cars and I wasn't really impressed. I mean yeah it did have some omph to it but I still think that the 4.6 in the Mark VIII felt more powerful. And on top of it Mark VIII = RWD, 94 STS = FWD. I think the choice is kinda obvious!:thumbsup:

#21 ·
RWD isn't everything. Can you drive the car in the snow? No. Totally useless where I am. I have driven many a Mark VIIIs and my Northstar has more of a powerful pull when you nail it. It just feels more powerfull(it is). My brother drives a 1998 Mark VIII LSC and after him recently giving up on trying to beat me in my ETC(racing) he finally agrees with me that my car feels more powerful. I have never run my car up at the track but he has and he usually gets around 14.5 or 14.6 in the 1/4 mile with his Mark. I have always beaten him racing by at the least 5 car lengths. My ETC is totally stock BTW.

#23 ·
after looking at your screen icon,i can see that you're a die-hard fordnatic.and that's your hang-up.i still think that lincoln goofed with that silly airbag setup.any way,i'm still leaning toward the NORTHSTAR POWER because at least they're highly reliable,sound better,and pull harder.my cousin has a 95 Mark VIII,and he's having the same problem.sagging and bagging.don't get me wrong, Lincoln had a good idea,just too bad they killed it like the LS,blackwood,and continental, in terms of poor sales.and if i'm not mistaken,the Seville STS,and ETC were rated as high as 300bhp.Lincoln did'nt get a "300"bhp motor.they rated the LSC as high as 290bhp.not to be funny,but i've never had a Lincoln pull away from my STS:bigroll: .i guess that's because they were too busy trying to catch me.the nicest looking Lincoln,Ford ever built,was the 1990-92 Mark-7 LSC,and that's with the 5.0 motor.if you had said something in terms of one of them,i would've believed you,but not the 1993-98 mark VIII.those cars are turds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant2:

#24 ·
Blackout said:
Just by going on you saying that he had to wait for the bags to fill up after the car wa started is leading me to believe that the car was a total POS. One of the first things that happened to my Mark VIII was the air bag system got canned and I replaced them with a coilover conversion with a 2" drop and then a tuneup and boy did that make a difference. And even before then the day I picked it up I raced Katshot with his FTS (14.5 1/4 if you didn't know) and with my car being bone stock we hit it and I was slowly pulling on him. I've driven a few N* powered cars and I wasn't really impressed. I mean yeah it did have some omph to it but I still think that the 4.6 in the Mark VIII felt more powerful. And on top of it Mark VIII = RWD, 94 STS = FWD. I think the choice is kinda obvious!:thumbsup:
i can see where you come from by looking at your screen icon,and that's your problem.however,i still have to say this without prejudice.i'm not impressed with the Lincoln Mark VIII.Ford killed that car,because of one reason:"they could'nt sell them because of the ETC." my cousin is having problems with airbags now.the magazines had the Lincoln Mark VIII in the mid to low 15's.the ETC cracked the 14's.and that's in stock trim.my 94 STS has nothing more than a shift kit,and a pair of high flow turbos,and it sounds great.i've seen several Lincolns with the mufflers removed,to get a deeper,and throater sound.i have all of my cat's still in place,and with the duals,it just sounds better,and deeper than that Lincoln.when i test drove the 94 Mark VIII,it just did'nt have a "seat of the pants" feel that my North Star has.i'm sure with a set of headers,throtle-body,chip,pulleys,gear-swap,filter removed or change,louder pipes,and an X-pipe,we might see a change in performance with the mark,but how much are we're spending to catch a stock STS? get my drift? you sitched your bags for springs? how much was that? and i can assure you that your Mark was definitely not stock.you dumped a ton of money to catch a stock car? wow,i bet you feel good now,don't you? what a joke.that's like a pimple faced kid putting on a different pulley,and adding nitrous on his Cobra to "get near" a last-years corvette.wow,i bet you felt great,now don't you.:bigroll:

#25 ·
94ETC said:
I have never run my car up at the track but he has and he usually gets around 14.5 or 14.6 in the 1/4 mile with his Mark. I have always beaten him racing by at the least 5 car lengths. My ETC is totally stock BTW.
:histeric: :histeric: :histeric: :histeric: Yeah ummm......ok. BTW The 2nd gen Mark VIII's are slower then the first gen's due to OBDII and the car weighing more. lol........14.5's and your beating him by 5 car lengths in stock trim :histeric:

#26 ·
Haleykeek said:
after looking at your screen icon,i can see that you're a die-hard fordnatic.and that's your hang-up.
And how is the my hang up? I've owned both a Cadillac and 2 Lincoln's.
i still think that lincoln goofed with that silly airbag setup.
I suggest you take a look under a Caddy sometime.
any way,i'm still leaning toward the NORTHSTAR POWER because at least they're highly reliable,sound better,and pull harder.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/search.php?searchid=107578 here's a link to a search i did on here with all the threads about N* blown headgaskets and how thats a normal thing for those engines. Go over to a Ford 4.6 forum and do a search on headgasket problems and you wo't see that there. lol.....Northstar more reliable:thumbsup:

my cousin has a 95 Mark VIII,and he's having the same problem.sagging and bagging.
Ok and? The air bag system is quite good and was ahead of its time with it lowering itself at higher speeds for better aerodynamics and better gas mileage. My airbags went on the fritz so I replaced them with a coil over conversion with a 2" drop, $500 for the whole conversion for the car and about 1 1/2 hours of labor and your all done. If the air bags are the worst thing you have to worry about I'll take that anyday over my engine blowing.
don't get me wrong, Lincoln had a good idea,just too bad they killed it like the LS,blackwood,and continental, in terms of poor sales.
Contiental was a POS, LS had potential but they never gave the V8 model a stick shift and the Blackwod was a nice truck but they over priced it a wee bit. But thats the same thing that is going on with the XLR-V. They way over priced that thing!
and if i'm not mistaken,the Seville STS,and ETC were rated as high as 300bhp. Lincoln did'nt get a "300"bhp motor.they rated the LSC as high as 290bhp.
Now your bragging about having 10 extra crank hp? Oh yeah well atleast the Mark VIII had real wood in its interior unlike the plastic stuff from Cadillac! :bigroll:
not to be funny,but i've never had a Lincoln pull away from my STS:bigroll: .i guess that's because they were too busy trying to catch me.
Have you brought your car to the track yet? If so what kinda 1/4 did you run? I ran a 14.921 @ 96.75 mph with a bad MLPS sensor and a slipping tranny.
the nicest looking Lincoln,Ford ever built,was the 1990-92 Mark-7 LSC,and that's with the 5.0 motor.if you had said something in terms of one of them,i would've believed you,but not the 1993-98 mark VIII.those cars are turds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rant2:
Well the Mark VIII came out in 1984 and there were no major body changes so I guess you would need to change that too 1984-1992. But I owned a 1986 Mark VII LSC as well and the Mark VIII would run laps around the VII like there was nothing to it. I truly think that you have no idea as to what your talking about

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.