Bentley mulling over SUV Possibility...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Bentley mulling over SUV Possibility... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; When you think youve seen it all... http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=105387 In all honesty, it WOULD at least have one competitor in the ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Bentley mulling over SUV Possibility...

When you think youve seen it all...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=105387

In all honesty, it WOULD at least have one competitor in the 140k stratusphere... the H1 Alpha.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Bentley mulling over SUV Possibility...

Interesting. I thought that the large SUV craze was kind of winding down?

I've always thought it strange Jaguar never offered one. Are they thinking about it?

Not ONE single Cadillac tested on that link!!

I am and will always be a fan of SUV's. In fact, SUV's are what spurred my interest in cars since I was little. When the explorer was introduced in 1991, I got a big Die Cast toy truck version of it I played with for along time. Then sometime after that I got into the Cherokee somehow, and later the Grand Cherokee. So SUV's are not evil to me, I like them.

In that sense, I think Jaguar is missing out on a big piece of the pie by not having their own. Hell, once Porsche does something you might as well open the floodgates cause you wont have to worry about negative reprocussions. Not only that, the Jaguar "4 eye" nose would lend itself well to an SUV application, and with the corporate 4.2 V8 they have half the powertrain already. In fact, I would RATHER have seen a Jag SUV before a Volvo one. That being said, I do believe Jag has been considering this possibility for a few years themselves.

But was/is the Cayenne really that successful?? Remember we heard about all their quality issues a while back, so do you think that might have had a negative impact with the buying public? I'm just wondering if the Porsche SUV has "watered down" the performance sports car image of the companies reputation.

Ferrari was talking about it and I seem to recall posting a link to that effect, but I haven't heard anymore on the possibility from them. Jag would probably be getting into the game too late to make it worth their while imo.

I would love an Escalade but it's the gas prices here that's "evil!"

I looked at the new Grand Cherokees and they look so much like a TrailBlazer in profile to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    But was/is the Cayenne really that successful?? Remember we heard about all their quality issues a while back, so do you think that might have had a negative impact with the buying public? I'm just wondering if the Porsche SUV has "watered down" the performance sports car image of the companies reputation.
    Remember the point I have made many times about them Germans tho... In the end they and many of those who drive their vehicles dont care about some inconvenience in the reliability factor to be able to drive the piss out of their teutonic toys the rest of the time. Certainly there is a point where that is no longer viable, as in the case of Mercedes' terrible quality of late, but I know if I was a Cayenne owner, id be mighty proud even if it was in the shop once in a while. Just kinda goes with that territory. Also, ive realized that im not really bothered by stuff breaking so much, as I am about QUALITY problems, like loose rattly panels, sagging headliners and things like that. I think the Germans do a terrific job on fit and finish and so I guess overall, despite how riduculous a Porsche SUV is in principle, I dont think that is what necessarily hurt it, if anything, as much as the fact that when it comes down to brass tacks? Even the "turbo" version makes a just acceptable 450bhp for a 90k car.

Ferrari was talking about it and I seem to recall posting a link to that effect, but I haven't heard anymore on the possibility from them. Jag would probably be getting into the game too late to make it worth their while imo.
    I do know that a Ferrari SUV would be absolutely ridiculous. I just cant see it. Ferrari is very finicky about how they apply their name to things. In fact, did you know that Ferrari is absent from the top 10 most horsepower vehicles in the world? They are more about the practical application of the power than the number itself.

As far as Jag is concerned, Saab has shown its never too late to get in the SUV game, even though Im not really excited about the 9-7.

I would love an Escalade but it's the gas prices here that's "evil!"
    I hear that brother!

I looked at the new Grand Cherokees and they look so much like a TrailBlazer in profile to me.
    Ahh but INFINITELY more capable and comfortable my friend. Infinitely...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Jag fans are a sensitive bunch. An SUV would drive them to suicide. The X-type came pretty close to that.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I just read in Car and Driver that Jag is workin on a SUV. (rumors)

My cousin is a pilot and a couple of his pilot friends bought those Cayennes when they first came out because they thought they were cool and they had kids and thought an SUV would be a good excuse that their wives wouldn't mind. well, now they got rid of them because of too many problems last time I talked to him about them. I'm sure there is not a squeek or rattle in a new S-Class, however I wouldn't tolerate electronic nightmares either.

Ian. here is the Jag I looked at from our Honda dealership today. Isn't this pretty much the same Jag you almost bought?? Who in the world would trade an Xj8 on a new Accord!!??

3rd. car down...I like the description, "Really loaded!!" LOL!!

http://showrooms.canadatrader.com/1072/1063

EDIT.. WHOA, nice burgandy 2001 Jag on page 2 that I never saw at the dealership! Even cheaper!!

Quote Originally Posted by powerglide
    I just read in Car and Driver that Jag is workin on a SUV. (rumors)
    Personally I hope Jag and Ferrari don't build them. I just can't imagine...

Man... heres some pics of that 9-7...

Just as I thought... they got to fiddle with the front end a bit, but there is only so much you can do with that Trailblazer rear... Im so glad Cadillac didnt get a version of this.

Nice front appearance, note the headlight washers (sure indication of Xenons at least) and the projector headlamps...

Unfortunately, Altezza tail-lights do not a Saab make...there is only so much you can do with that butt, and the resemblance to anything even remotely Saab is lost here...

I think in the end this will just be a good way to get the Trailblazer with some sorely lacking options like Xenon lights cheap as it should follow the same depreciation trend as the regular GMT360 SUVs. It is definitely a viable alternative to the current Lincoln Aviator.

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Great T, bad A!

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Man... heres some pics of that 9-7...

Just as I thought... they got to fiddle with the front end a bit, but there is only so much you can do with that Trailblazer rear... Im so glad Cadillac didnt get a version of this.

Nice front appearance, note the headlight washers (sure indication of Xenons at least) and the projector headlamps...

Unfortunately, Altezza tail-lights do not a Saab make...there is only so much you can do with that butt, and the resemblance to anything even remotely Saab is lost here...

I think in the end this will just be a good way to get the Trailblazer with some sorely lacking options like Xenon lights cheap as it should follow the same depreciation trend as the regular GMT360 SUVs. It is definitely a viable alternative to the current Lincoln Aviator.
    Also note the Freelander-'ish aluminium bumper beam in the lower front. Not bad looking but it doesn't interest me. If I'm going to buy an SUV I want something higher up and if I want to push snow, I'll just keep my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    if I want to push snow, I'll just keep my car.
    Say it aint so Ralph!!! Pushin that nasty salty snow the precious Fleet'? You must kidding

Say it aint so Ralph!!! Pushin that nasty salty snow the precious Fleet'? You must kidding
    Only a few times when it was -40 so the salt couldn't melt the snow to stick to the precious Fleetwood. But please don't tell anyone here, ok?? Thank goodness for private messaging.....

off to Canadian Tire to get a snow shovel attatchment for next year.....

HotRodSaint is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

I think Jaguar is missing out on a big piece of the pie by not having their own.
    Not so sure I agree. The Range Rover is covering Ford's luxury SUV's and a Jaguar might cannabilize their sales or vice versa.

I think a more important vehicle for Jaguar, would be a replacement for the X-type.

I'd also build an S-type wagon, before an SUV.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.