General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Alright, so I may be getting ready to purchase a cash type car since my brother may buy my truck ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII?

Alright, so I may be getting ready to purchase a cash type car since my brother may buy my truck from me as he really likes it, and I want something for between 3-5k this time, no payments. The two vehicles that come to mind right off hand for what I want, are the Jeep Cherokee, and the Lincoln Mark VIII/LSC. The Mark VIII has alot of modern conveniences of some luxury cars costing alot more, like Xenon Lights (something I really want), CD Changer, premium JBL sound system, lots of power from that great 4.6L engine, and its RWD!!! *YAY*.

I dont really want one before 97, those were kinda ugly and non descript, but the 97 and 98 is a very modern and fresh looking design.

Heres some shots of one I found on ebay...

Not real jazzed about the fact that its basically a gussied up Thunderbird, but whatever...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

Re: General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII?

I always loved the look and ride of my 89 Mark VII. That car had a lotta power, and turbo too.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Those are really nice-looking cars! Love the interior how the trim wraps around the dash onto the doors, etc. One thing, they are so low, just like my car and you really have to watch speed bumps, etc.

I thought that after "Connie" you'd never have another Linc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Those are really nice-looking cars! Love the interior how the trim wraps around the dash onto the doors, etc. One thing, they are so low, just like my car and you really have to watch speed bumps, etc.
    Yea I know and they have those crappy Air-ride systems too that fail ALOT on Lincolns. Sometimes I think Lincoln did that JUST to differentiate the car from whatever it was based on. That would have caused me to shy away before, but theres passive retro kits available for all of these now so its no big deal.

DS156... The 89's were real nice, especially the LSC Package with the 5.0 V8 from the stang. The 92-96 model was not my cup of tea though.

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

The Mark VIII is a no-good rotten POS that needs to be junked every time they're out on the street because they're eye-sores and automobile ring social parasites that are ready to blow holes in the engine bay because of detonation and vibrations for being ugly and shitty cars...

Kidding. Take it easy folks.

Seriously, I would go with the Mark VIII as they're better in the performance ring and they're much better on gas than the Jeep. Styling between the two shouldn't even be an issue. You're also right about the year vs. styling as the last models ('97-'98?) were more fluid in design and all around better cars from what I understand.

BTW, don't go for that tan color: go for something either black or some variation of silver if that color was an option.

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    The Mark VIII is a no-good rotten POS that needs to be junked every time they're out on the street because they're eye-sores and automobile ring social parasites that are ready to blow holes in the engine bay because of detonation and vibrations for being ugly and shitty cars...

Kidding. Take it easy folks.

Seriously, I would go with the Mark VIII as they're better in the performance ring and they're much better on gas than the Jeep. Styling between the two shouldn't even be an issue. You're also right about the year vs. styling as the last models ('97-'98?) were more fluid in design and all around better cars from what I understand.

BTW, don't go for that tan color: go for something either black or some variation of silver if that color was an option.
    Hehe... funny.

Yea im warming up to it. It always bothers me that I think of cash cars at various points in my life and then when Im ready or close to ready to buy one I cant recall for the life of me the ones I thought of. But I think for 3-5k one of these is about as nice as it gets.

If I dont do one of these then ill probably search out a nice condition mid-90's BMW of some sort. A 1995 750iL would fill the ticket nicely, though it would eat me out of house and home on repairs (a non issue though if I wasnt making payments on it). The 94' 750 was the first car ever in the U.S. to have xenon lights by my research, and the Mark VIII was the first AMERICAN car to have them.

This one is actually Silver I believe, though Id really prefer a white diamond LSC since it has the matching grille too! Black is a possibility but at this price most black ones would probably have rough paint.

EDIT: Oh yea! Almost forgot the venerable STS Northstar. Doesnt quite have everything I want but a 95 or 96 STS would be good too, but only in White Diamond, they look old in any other color.

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    go for something either black or some variation of silver
    There is a contrast of color!

Black............

Black would make it look too much like an Accord Coupe."

Silver........... nice color, hides dust, etc.

tan or beige..... nicer color for any luxury car.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    DS156... The 89's were real nice, especially the LSC Package with the 5.0 V8 from the stang. The 92-96 model was not my cup of tea though.
    That's what I had, the LSC with the 5.0. The engine was unstoppable, too bad the car istelf had more problems than I could handle. I had two suspension failures.

Here is a friend of mine and the '96 he really wanted to buy..

I liked them back in the day, but anymore they really look dated. One thing... Somewhere between 95 and 96 Ford attempted a disastrous experiment with Xenon lights, and SOME of the Mid 95's are still out there working today, however replacement parts are PROHIBITIVELY expensive, which is why youll see "one eyed" Marks or some with one xenon light, and one halogen replacement.

Basically, Ford used the only inception ever of an AC POWERED Xenon lighting system and it was so disastrously prudent to fail and provided so little usable light, they had to retrofit most of the cars that hadnt gotten out yet with Halogen lights by the end of that production run. However, while Ford stayed its course, Xenon lights would not reappear until the 1997 redesign. After the Mark was killed in 98', no Lincoln had them again until the 2003 update of the Lincoln LS.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The MKVIII's are sharp cars for sure. And fast too! My son has a '95 in the white you mentioned. Very sharp car. I've always been up in the air about which version I liked better though. The older version like my son's and the one pictured above have virtually the same interior as the later version so it's really only the exterior that's different. As far as that goes, I think the earlier version is way better looking but the later version had much better lighting. I've just never been able to warm up to the front end on the later version. That big goofy-looking grille just kills it for me.

I never liked the VIII's. Never. My favorite Mark has got to be the VI and the VII in very close proximity. I tried to buy an 83 Mark VI with like 75,000 mi. on it and it was really nice inside, it was black with red pinstripe with red velour seats and a digital dash with the CB. Daaaaaamn that car was nice. If that used car dealer still has it I'd make him an offer. He wanted some rediculous ammount for it some two years ago when I offered my Mark VII as a potential trade. I think he wanted like $6,500 for it. It was mint, but not worth no $6,500. And when I say mint, I mean mint..................I think I'll pay him a visit today....LOL!

Randy_W is offline Banned

I knew Katshot was gonna like that Ford!

I have to say though, despit the fact that I think the Mark is the better car, my Continental definitely had the better interior. It had things like an optitron gauge cluster like in the Lexuses, door mounted seat controls and in later models, steering wheel controls for the radio.

I actually didnt even know til recently that the Mark was even based on the Thunderbird, I guess if I had looked at the similarity between the 80's ones it would have made sense, but I think Ford did a great job differentiating them after 92'

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I like the Mark VIIIs. I'd have bought one, but I like the look and interior of the ETC more. They're RWD and have the 4.6 that can be modified easily compared to northstars so they have their plus sided. But I opted for the ETC because I'm not going to be doing any serious mods.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.