General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; For $3K you can't get a clean example... for $5K possibly at a auction. Two weeks ago at Manheim a ...
    Leloz is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: General consensus of the 97+ Mark VIII?

For $3K you can't get a clean example... for $5K possibly at a auction. Two weeks ago at Manheim a extremely clean '97 with 48K brought $6300 (I bought a '98 Concours from the same dealer that day). The 4.6 tends to need costly repairs around 75K, so make sure you save room for those problems, especially if it is an auction car and you can't test the transmission. They are nice cars though, very elegant looking and a good bang for the buck.

A 750iL will run over your budget unless it is a E32.

$5K will easily get you a Northstar powered STS, Concours, or Eldorado... and they are just as nice as the Mark VIII but do lack certain features that you desire.

Goodluck!

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

The Mark VIII is a great car for the money. Like you said you have a lot of modern day luxury car features for like next to no money. I got my 1995 Mark VIII with 93k miles on it for $4500 out the door. Interior and exterior in perfect condition. Bu watch out for the airbag suspensions. It's a cool feature to have but having to replace it when they go bad can get quite expensive. On mine I just replaced the air bag suspension and put in coil overs with a 2" drop. I don't know really too much about the 2nd gen Mark VIII's since I own a 1st gen. But I know that 2nd gen;s used OBDii while 1st gen's used OBDi so the 2nd gen's are slower then the first gen's even with a LSC equipped 2nd gen. But as for the Xenon's on the 1st gen's I will be upgrading my halogen's to the HID's for sure. The biggest pain in the a$$ about the non Xenon headlights is the housing's suck. The reflective material in them goes bad after awhile because it's not made to withstand all the hot temp's in such a small housing. Right now the my headlights are the equivalent of taping a flashlight to the hood of your car and driving around. IT SUCKS!!! BUt good luck with whatever car you choose. If you get the mark VIII then come and visit us over at MarkVIII.org or cadillacowners.com

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Love the Mark8, though too plasticy inside....still wuite a bargain!
    Heard xenon headlights breakdown alot and expensive to fix, just some stuff I read....

Leloz makes a good point, you can pick up a nice eldo for the same money....although I would prefer a RWD myself.

Caddy over a Lincoln!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Yea I think the Xenon failures were primarily on the 96 models, as far as the 4.6 is concerned, I think they are good engines. I know we bought Continental with 86k on it and aside from a Tuneup at about 110k, it hasnt needed anything and is now at about 135k when I traded it in. Im relatively confident in that engine. The transmission is a different story, I know the Connie was FWD so the Mark is a whole different animal for sure.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    The MKVIII's are sharp cars for sure. And fast too! My son has a '95 in the white you mentioned. Very sharp car. I've always been up in the air about which version I liked better though. The older version like my son's and the one pictured above have virtually the same interior as the later version so it's really only the exterior that's different. As far as that goes, I think the earlier version is way better looking but the later version had much better lighting. I've just never been able to warm up to the front end on the later version. That big goofy-looking grille just kills it for me.
    Im with you , the facelifted cars looked like they had a pineapple shoved up there arse ....

The first ones best exemplified the look of that car , all the lines were taught and crisp , the facelifted cars looked like Anna Nicole after the first 3 months of bingeing on macdonalds ...the lines were sorta there but she was blaoted and something wasnt quite right with her face ...

The interior was one fo the best ford ever did in the 90s

Gussied up T bird ? Pretty good roots to come from if you ask me , beatter than Fox Body ...MN12 cars were outstanding cars , only downfall is they were too heavy and expensive to build ....ford canned/cut back the idea ..MN12 had big potential , the plans alone in early 88 were for it to be used in the manner as what we know as "DEW98" today ...We had a 93 T bird ...to this day we comapre each and every car we own and drive to it ....mom has even coampred my cadillac to our old bird ...thats how good that car was as far as ride , handleing all that good stuff....

We would probably still have th ecar if it wasnt fo rthe odd electrical failures and the inherit 3.8 cylander head issues ...

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Friend of mine owns one, loves it. Considered getting one myself. I say, go for it!!!

powerglide is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

does the front end of this mark 8 remind you of a hitler mustache? ...or is it just me

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by powerglide
    does the front end of this mark 8 remind you of a hitler mustache? ...or is it just me
    I'll agree to that. Still, I like the gen. Mark VIIIs a lot! Sidenote, I was at the junkyard a few weekends ago snooping around for anything good, when I found a light blue LSC with an I-6 turbo diesel! Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Someone had already taken the turbo, but it was definately an I-6.

Brian

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

A diesel in a MKVIII?! I know they did some diesels in the MKVII's but never heard of any MKVIII's with them. There's a guy I know in Philly that bought a MKVII with a diesel last year.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Sorry for not verifying Kat, it was a Mark VII. But I didn't even know they put them in those!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    Sorry for not verifying Kat, it was a Mark VII. But I didn't even know they put them in those!

Brian
    That's what I thought. Here's a link to my freind's site. Specifically a page concerning the MKVII diesel. http://www.lscclub.org/cars/oldschool8/

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

oh man i really want one of those ...thats friggin awesome

my appologies to MR 90 brogham ....i really thought you were on crack dude ...

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Isn't this the Lincoln that adjusts its height at speed? It hunkers down on the highway. They did a TV ad and showed the car doing a "LIMBO" thing. At the beginning at rest it was to high to get under the limbo bar then at high speed it cleared the bar. Anybody remember that Commercial?

Yes. Both the MKVII's and the MKVIII's did that.

RobertCTS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Black the Darkside

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    Yes. Both the MKVII's and the MKVIII's did that.
    I'm suprised that didn't catch on. I would think that would increase the aero and improve gas mileage.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.