Lexus GS 430 vs. STS (Part II)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Lexus GS 430 vs. STS (Part II) in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Well it's been a while since I reported here that my father-in-law saw a new Lexus GS at the Philly ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Lexus GS 430 vs. STS (Part II)

Well it's been a while since I reported here that my father-in-law saw a new Lexus GS at the Philly car show and test drove a STS while car shopping. Originally, he was quite impressed with the STS. Last Friday, he finally test drove the GS 430 and after that, STILL went back and checked out the STS again. He obviously liked the STS after driving it last month. Well as they say, that was then, and this is now. I'll skip to the chase and tell you that he ordered the Lexus. I just talked to him about the two cars and his very comments were, that after actually DRIVING the GS 430, going back and getting into the STS was a joke. He actually liked the Lexus SO MUCH that now he feels the STS is a "piece of crap" by comparison (his words, not mine). He said that just sitting in the two, there was no comparison and driving them back to back made the differences even more apparent.
    I'm sure this isn't what any of you want to hear but I figured I'd update everyone on the story. I also figured that this would be interesting since my father-in-law liked the STS so much originally. I really think he "wanted" to get the Cadillac but the two cars were just so far apart in his mind that he was overwhelmed by the Lexus. I've really never seen the guy so giddy. I also found it interesting that the Cadillac dealer didn't help themselves much by trying to get him to by a demo that they had installed a roadster roof on. The very idea of a STS with a roadster top gags me!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: Lexus GS 430 vs. STS (Part II)

Very interesting indeed. Im glad hes happy thats all that counts. Im not going to put down Lexus for making what he thought in his mind was a superior product. It bothers me when someone passes up the STS because its such a neat car, but there are many good cars out there, and while the styling is about as exciting as a Macys parade, the GS430 is definitely one of them

Any idea what the price difference was between the two?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I'm a Yankees fan.. I'll always be a Yankees fan no matter which state I live in. The Red Sox took the last 4 games of last year's world series like the Yankees never even showed-up. In fact, I bet just about ANY team could have eaten the Yankees alive those last four games.. Still, I never lost any of my "feeling" for the Yankees...

Does anyone know where I'm going with this? I know Kevin does...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Sal Im surprised, I know you like me love Cadillac's but I thought you also liked some of the newer Lexus products as well?

I wouldnt own another, but I definitely think they are worthy competition.

I sat in the STS for the first time last week. I sat down, looked around for a second, and got out. It felt just like the CTS, except a tiny bit more luxurious.. I would be very proud to drive one - but I wasn't overly impressed.. It was very much like the inside of a BMW.. Not my cup of tea, I suppose...

When I sat inside the Lexus GS a few weeks ago, I sat down, looked around for 2 minutes, opened and closed the door a few times - shocked at how I couldn't hear anything outside after I closed the door.. Put my fingerprints on everything, surprised at how expensive all the materials felt. Got out, sat in the back. Hung out for a few minutes...

Get the picture?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Apparently that's the same feelings my father-in-law had too. The main point of posting this was that I needed to point out that the guy really liked the STS until he drove the GS. He "wanted" to like the STS more. He "wanted" to buy the STS too but the difference between the two cars was obviously too much to overcome. And it's not like he drove the GS and then jumped right on it. He actually went back to STS before deciding. IMO, he gave the STS every chance to win him over but the GS just stood that much taller in his mind. I know one thing that could've helped the STS. The option list is un-Godly on the STS whereas the GS has virtually no options. It basically comes one way, loaded. Long, confusing option lists are a turn-off to me and I'm sure to many other people as well. They may be helpful for selling cars to people that can't "really" afford them by allowing them to de-content them to the point of affordability but, IMO, it doesn't help sell this type of car.

I've always had Cadillacs in my family - so I'm just a Cadillac kinda guy. I love the way they look. Even if I'm not crazy about them at first, they always grow on me. It's automatic. However, Cadillac is moving in a direction that I'm just not all that crazy about. I'm one of those strange people who doesn't like BMWs. However, I do like Mercedes.. Probably because they're extremely comfortable, warm and inviting - not hard and cold.

The ultimate 2006 automobile, for me, would be a car that looks like a Cadillac, RUNS like a Cadillac (I happen to love the drivetrain - mainly the Northstar), but DRIVES like a Lexus (soft) with a Lexus interior. Honestly, I think it would be EASY for Cadillac to make this happen. However, I'm surely a minority with these feelings...

Lexus is doing something very unique. They're making a Mercedes S-Class for every class.. Only reliable! The Mercedes S-Class has been referred to as the "red-headed step-child of Germany" because of all it's problems.. The Lexus LS is basically a Mercedes S-Class with extremely few issues. And not only that, you're getting S-Class quality with every car. The LS is, of course, the Lexus "S" class. The ES is their smaller S-Class, the GS is an even smaller, sportier S-Class, and the IS is a small S-Class.. The same extremely high quality throughout all their price ranges... Very smart company...

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

You got a point there Sal, but I suppose a lot of it all goes back to the whole "soul" thing. I know a Lexus is a much better car "quality" wise than my Brougham, but I'd still rather drive her than my father's LS 400. I don't care for BMW much either. Too over-engineered and just plain uninviting, almost like going to the dentist. Albeit, a very fun and sporty dentist, but still. I really do like the way the LS 400 feels though. Driving it, I know it's not going to break down, and damn is that thing quiet! Kudos to Lexus, but I'll still drive the 90, just because it's a Caddy.

Brian

Ya know, years ago, I really hated European cars. I didn't like the styling, and the interiors were cold and uninviting. All that's changed for me (although I STILL don't like BMW interiors). Nowadays, European cars ahve some very good looking cars and with the possible exception of BMW, the interiors are beautiful. Now it's the American cars that have dull, boring interiors. On top of all that, everybody's playing catch-up to the very cars that only a few short years ago, we laughed at. It's amazing how things change huh?

Brian. I hear ya. There's just something about a Cadillac to most of us here... Still, we know a better can when we see one. Nobody is going to say a 1970 Cadillac is better than a 1970 Rolls Royse.. That's just the way it is...

Kevin.. It IS amazing. Isn't it? Yes, European cars do look much better nowadays.. In the 70s and 80s, I couldn't even imagine why people liked them. They were ugly, to me...

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

Lightbulb Re: Lexus GS 430 vs. STS (Part II)

I grew up loving Cadillacs. I was shopping for the STS, when I bought my used E-class at the Cadillac dealer. I like the STS, but I am also more impressed with the Lexus GS. When I was at the Lexus dealership, I noticed the beautiful finish of the exterior and the paint quality. The paint on the Cadillacs, and most other cars, just looks OK. The interior of the Lexus is more refined too. As a luxury car buyer, I am looking for quality, reliability, and refinement.

bballer113 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I went to a GM AutoShow In Motion event over the weekend. I got a chance to drive the STS V8 with and without the sport package and bigger wheels. The fully loaded STS handled wonderfully and this comes from a man who races cars for a living. The STS felt balanced and displayed almost no understeer. I would put it on par with the last gen 5 series. You can tell the STS was build for a sporty edge than a sporty tourer. I think thats why alot of people opt for a GS430. And the sound system in the STS sounds just as good as the M.L. system in the GS430.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I'm 23, so I tend to value statement over refinement. I simply cannot feel proud owning a Lexus. There's no intensity of emotion, no artistic expression, nothing. Its like staring at a dressed-up body in a morgue. Quiet, still, and perfect, but completely lifeless.

Jesda. What about the new GS? That's a classy looking car? Still, I know what you're saying.. The STS does have a nicer look. I agree.. And I'm going to guess it handles better as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    I'm 23, so I tend to value statement over refinement. I simply cannot feel proud owning a Lexus. There's no intensity of emotion, no artistic expression, nothing. Its like staring at a dressed-up body in a morgue. Quiet, still, and perfect, but completely lifeless.
    Well and this is exactly why the Europeans do so well. People dont really buy a Mercedes or a BMW EXPECTING a flawless and maintenance free driving experience. I think every SMART BMW or Mercedes owner anticipates problems along the way, but the heart and soul of the car, the driving experience and the sheer excitement of the cars really outweighs the maintenance factor in the end. Still, Mercedes allowed this to get out of hand and despite the fact the Europeans even themselves admit they are more about the driving experience and not the perfection level of a Lexus, Mercedes is now playing catch up and has admitted its failure to maintain a reliably operating vehicle lately.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.