Whoa... Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Whoa... Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; It seems the Supercharged TrailBlazer SS might have just been a smart move in the first place! Smart because Chrysler ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Whoa... Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT...

It seems the Supercharged TrailBlazer SS might have just been a smart move in the first place! Smart because Chrysler IS usually spot on with trends, and they just introduced the all new SRT8 Grand Cherokee with 415HP and AWD, and a 0-60 time of under 5 seconds, it almost trumps the CTS-V! ALOT better looking than the Trailblazer though!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

ben72227 is offline Banned

Re: Whoa... Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT...

and what kind of gas mileage does it get?

Maybe the gas prices will go down, but honestly, I really believe that SUVS (at least gas guzzlers) are starting to phase out. It would be nice to see a hybrid SUV - i think Ford is making one this year already...

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

So how does the Trailblazer SS stack up?

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Well it certainly looks better than the "Commander Box." :rolleyes2

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

That Jeep SRT8, and the TrailBlazer SS are both useless vehicles, that will do nothing but loose both companies money. First off, the trailblazer is a pos to begin with. Not many people buy them, and it's probably becuase they are not all that practicle, and get horrible gas mileage too. An SS version, will only increase the Trailblazer's inability, to serve a real purpose. You won;t be albe to haul/transport anything, and th egas mileage, is only gonna get worse.

The Jeep is an offroad vehicle. Building a 415hp Jeep, designed for the drag strip, and road course, is just plain stupid, and serves absolutely no purpose at all. It's stil going to handle like a Jeep, except the only offroading it will be able to do, is drive over freshly cut grass. If I wanted a high-performance SUV, I'd go out and by a Typhoon. If I want a capable, relatively inexpensive off road vehicle, I'd get a jeep.

All the OEM's seem to be going mad with power so to speak. Chrysler more than other. They seem to be stuffing that "hemi" into ever vehicle they can manage. I can't wait until they stick one in a Neon. That'll be just crazy!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Kind of weird, kind of neat! Sort of screws with my head. I typically think of the Jeep as a trail warrior.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I don't think either company - GM or Daimler/ Chrysler - are fooling themselves and thinking these will be high-volume sales vehicles but, there ARE other OEMs that have been offering similar type vehicles for quite some time - MB, BMW, Porsche, just to name a few. So there IS a market already established for these road-burners. They're more "image" makers than sales leaders.
    IMO, they fill a very real need. I, for one would certainly buy one if I was in the market for an SUV. When I bought the Lincoln Aviator, I would've welcomed a sporty mid-size SUV alternative but other than the Dodge Durango R/T, there were none in my price range. This new Jeep would possibly be in my driveway right now, if it had been around a couple years ago.

ShadowLvr400 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 Fleetwood

The vehicles aren't there to be practical, they're advertisements in a lot of ways. They'll sell to those who want to make a statement, but otherwise, they're just great ways to attract people out car shopping. A case of "Hey, we can build this awesome vehicle, and here's a more toned down version that fits your life better, but shares some parts with this awesome one, so brag to your buddies."

c5 rv is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)

I hope Chrysler has overcome their chronic reliability problems, or all the folks that are buying their hot products today will run somewhere else in a couple years.

As for the Trailblazer SS, it looks to be a real step up from the standard TB: lower, faster, fulltime AWD, improved suspension and braking, stabilitrak, higher towing capacity, and nicer interior. Given the overall 14.5 MPG I see in my current truck (6.0L, AWD, 4.10 rearend), the TB SS should deliver all that performance and still get about the same mileage if driven sanely most of the time. My only concerns with the vehicle: the 113" wheelbase is very short for stable towing, I hope the SS seats are more comfortable than the current TB seats, and hopefully Chevy dealers will offer GMS pricing when I start looking for a new truck in 2006/2007.

Randy_W is offline Banned

First off, the trailblazer is a pos to begin with. Not many people buy them, and it's probably becuase they are not all that practicle, and get horrible gas mileage too.
    My wife's '03 with the 275 h.p. inline 6 and 3.42 gears has 35000 miles. It has never been in for warranty work, it gets 21 mpg on the road and 16 in town. It will tow 7500 pounds and is way quicker 0-60 than my '99 Durango 5.9/3.91 gears. I admit, I don't like the seating position.

Trailblazers seem to be very iffy on reliability, in FACT, Blazers have been prone to problems for as long as I can remember. My boss had a 93 Jimmy back when I worked in Guatemala in 98' and that truck had issues with everything from a constant smoke blowing problem, to electrical failures and broken switches. I still loved those boxy Blazers and Jimmys though, they were great trucks, but no match for the original Cherokee and especially not the Grand Cherokee. When they introduced the redesign in 1994 I felt like they just designed the thing into oblivion, I didnt get excited about that particular version until GMC introduced the FIRST Envoy back in 99 with the Xenon headlights and substantially upgraded interior. I actually have considered getting rid of my truck and getting one of those to be out of a car payment, they are only like 9500 bucks now. STILL, I had a friend in Florida who vowed to never purchase another Blazer again because his 97 suffered from oil leaks, AC that didnt blow cold and various other problems.

In my opinion, while its not a bad truck, since 94' it has been and continues to be in the shadow of the full size GM trucks. They also have interior and exterior components that seem to be extraordinarily prone to flex and rattles. The Buick Rainier is very nice though, if GM would only go the EXTRA mile and put in things like Xenon lights and heated and cooled seats like some of its competitors, itd be near perfect.

Anyway, I agree with Katshot 100 percent. At least for CHRYSLER, vehicles like this are not intended to be sales kings or saviours. They are merely window vehicles to keep the image of the brand in tune with the public and keep them on the map. Jeep doesnt have anything to prove either. In 1998 they introduced the high performance Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited, which at the time, was the fastest box on 4 wheels. Many of the enthusiasts who have kept their 5.9's are already waiting for this and HAVE been waiting since the WJ came out, which never produced a real performance iteration.

The Trailblazer SS however is more of a toss up, GM needs all the help it can get in the sales department, so they may actually be counting on their TB to sell a little more briskly than the GC. The TB produces 391hp.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

"""can't wait until they stick one in a Neon."""

I understand something very close is in the works.....
    Neon SRT-4 ACR Edition 200 to be made as Commemorative Edition Neons,
    made with Viper Front Seats, racing harness, and more........Get friendly with a Dodge salesman !

I will probably buy a Trailblazer SS. Look at the specs, how could you NOT?
    Forget about comparing it to a 1993, this is 12 years later! It's simply a 5-passenger Corvette with some cargo room. Not too tall, not to long nor to big, just right! I am waiting until dealer gets one in to checkout and if I like, order! The SRT-8 G.C. is too tall (height) to make it thru my garage door opening's height of 67 inches.
    http://www.chevytrailblazerss.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Forget about comparing it to a 1993, this is 12 years later! It's simply a 5-passenger Corvette with some cargo room.
    Toss historical reliability of a product out the window? I think not, and while I didnt bring up specific problems to the Trailblazer, it has its own set of issues for sure. Now thats with the Vortec V6 primarily (the V8 is more reliable), however as I mentioned before, it will be interesting to see how this Chassis handles the kind of power that motor is going to throw at it. I also would not call it a 5 passenger Corvette, the Corvette is a purpose built sports car engineered to exacting specifications and built from the ground up for speed. The Trailblazer SS and for that matter the SRT-8 are what they are. Boxes with a big motor stuffed into them.

The SRT-8 however has proven it can run with the big dogs though. It already claims to be quicker than the Porsche Cayenne Turbo, at nearly half the price, on WET OR DRY pavement!

I tell you, if I had the dough, id get myself a Charcoal SRT-8, and a CTS-V. Perfect harmony.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

SRT-8 G.C. is too tall (height) to make it thru my garage door opening's height of 67 inches
    (why do they make these things so darn HIGH ? You are not allowed
    to load them up past the bottom of the side windows anyhow? Why must
    they all be 72 to 76 inches tall ????) ~ Some of them are beginning to look like the old fashioned telephone booths, recall them ?

EDIT:
    There's not much to debate with these credentials:-
    Corvette 6.0L LS2 V-8
    Ram Air Induction System
    SS Specific Chassis ZQ8 with:
    * Tuned Bilstein Shocks
    * Larger Stabilizer Bars
    * Lowered Ride Height
    * Rear Air Leveling Suspension
    P255/50R / 20 V-Speed Rated Tires
    20-inch Chromed Rims
    Full Time AWD
    Torsen Torque LTD Slip Differential
    4.10 Axle Ratio
    391 Horsepower
    Ventilated 4-Wheel ABS Disc Brakes
    Corvette Brake Pads
    Suede & Leather Specific Seating
    Unique Front Appearance
    Basically it's a Bravada, Envoy, Denali, Rainer short length, with most
    of the Corvette goodies underneath.
    It's also lighter and shorter than the G.C. & will fit thru the opening
    of our garage, without $20,000 worth of construction. She has a
    16 foot high ceiling inside...and a 67 or 68 inch high opening height !

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by danbuc
    That Jeep SRT8, and the TrailBlazer SS are both useless vehicles, that will do nothing but loose both companies money. First off, the trailblazer is a pos to begin with. Not many people buy them, and it's probably becuase they are not all that practicle, and get horrible gas mileage too. An SS version, will only increase the Trailblazer's inability, to serve a real purpose. You won;t be albe to haul/transport anything, and th egas mileage, is only gonna get worse.

The Jeep is an offroad vehicle. Building a 415hp Jeep, designed for the drag strip, and road course, is just plain stupid, and serves absolutely no purpose at all. It's stil going to handle like a Jeep, except the only offroading it will be able to do, is drive over freshly cut grass. If I wanted a high-performance SUV, I'd go out and by a Typhoon. If I want a capable, relatively inexpensive off road vehicle, I'd get a jeep.
    I kind of agree, what's the point? But then again, what % of SUV buyers really use their vehicles as intended? Very few, Danbuc. Everytime I see somebody installing huuuuuge rims/low profile tires and dropping the suspension in an escalade, hummer or similars I get this funny tingling in my, well, my boys.. At least this Cherokee is nice to look at.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.