Nice jeep ....06 Commander vs Chinese Cherokee
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Nice jeep ....06 Commander vs Chinese Cherokee in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; check it out , i liked the cherokee , was kinda sad they got rid of it , but this ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Nice jeep ....06 Commander vs Chinese Cherokee

check it out , i liked the cherokee , was kinda sad they got rid of it , but this new 7 passenger truck looks alot like the cherokee i morned whent he liberty came out ...
    commander:

beijing jeep 2500

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: Nice jeep ....06 Commander vs Chinese Cherokee

Well, I think the front end of that new Commander looks ridiculous, but otherwise like the boxiness of it. That Cherokee 2500 is AWESOME though! Man if I could get my hands on one of those and import it... I wonder if its possible. I too mourned the passing of the original cherokee and was quite pissed when it was replaced with that abomination of a Liberty. That Cherokee is already left hand drive so I cant imagine too many other modifications would be necessary, AND they are relatively cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    Well, I think the front end of that new Commander looks ridiculous, but otherwise like the boxiness of it. That Cherokee 2500 is AWESOME though! Man if I could get my hands on one of those and import it... I wonder if its possible. I too mourned the passing of the original cherokee and was quite pissed when it was replaced with that abomination of a Liberty. That Cherokee is already left hand drive so I cant imagine too many other modifications would be necessary, AND they are relatively cheap.
    only problem with the 2500 is ...you cant get the 4.0 ...i lifted and 4 wheeled in many cherokees over the years , you either get the 4.0 inline six or you go home ....they were awesome off road once you got them lifted , inastlled lockers and cut the rear fender lips up about 3.5 to 4 inches ....and trimmed the rear edge of the front fender openings..

DCX probably could have continued to build those , but decontented , do it like VW did the bug , barely change them but produce them untill they are so obselete they are a danger to other cars on the road ...

Offer them in one trim level , with 4wd as the lone option ...4.0 inline six and 5 speed only powertrain (ok maybe automatic)
    no radio ...maybe a/c ..no power nothing ...

or am i really int he market for a wrangler ?

i also found this neat little rig on the Bejing site :
    "BJ2020V series are improved light duty off road vehicle produced by Beijing Jeep Corporation with the introduction of advanced technology from DaimlerChrysler Corporation and for the need of Chinese market circumstances. It’s excellent in safety, comfort, wide application, economic and environment protective. "

http://www.beijing-jeep.com/cc.html

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Sorry if this is a little long, but...

When our son turned 18, his 4 grandparents bought him a new car. Each put up up $6,500 for it. Matt chose a Cherokee. Naturally, having been in the car business for 27 years, and having very definate ideas, I became a major player in the outfitting of his choice, the dealership it would be bought at and other smaller items.
    Matt chose the car & the color. Sandy did the rest. The car has turned out to be my #1 favorite of all cars I have ever owned. My daily driver is the 2003 Town Car Signature Limited. It's a great great car, that MUST remain parked in anything over one inch of snow ! It also needs a big parking space, and comes in at 12 MPG in city stop & go traffic.
    The Jeep
    I outfitted it with every possible option MOPAR had. She's got in excess of 35 options on her. There is absolutely nothing in the Jeep book she lacks! She gets 18 MGP in stop &go, 27 on the freeway. The 4.0L Truck engine six is bullet-proof. I have (when he's home during Winter break) backed it out of the driveway with a half a foot of snow without plowing the driveway. I have taken down UNplowed roads, and up horrificly iced roads. I have driven it in blizzards. It's loads more comfortable than a non-owner would ever believe. Matt's version is the equal to many of cars with Brougham emblems on them. It now has 26,000 miles (It's a Final Edition, 2001) and it's in 100% perfect condition without a single door ding or blemish on it.
    When this new one comes out - I will sell the Town Car & buy it, hands down. (and) from the same little bitty, teeny tiny, itsy-bitsy dealership that can't do enough for its customers & treats each person like their own Mother!
    When they say: "JEEP": There IS only ONE ~ they know what they are talking about.
    When you want a certain desert, you do not ask for Gelitan, you ask for Jello
    When you cut your finger, you do not seek a plastic protection strip, you seek a Band-Aid.
    When you want a Pop or a Soda, you'll ask for a Coke. (A Pepsi or an R/C will please you - but you use the word COKE)
    So, it is with 4WD JEEP is the one! 26,000 miles - 3 drivers ZERO problems.
    I cannot wait for the Commander Brougham Limited

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    Sorry if this is a little long, but...

When our son turned 18, his 4 grandparents bought him a new car. Each put up up $6,500 for it. Matt chose a Cherokee. Naturally, having been in the car business for 27 years, and having very definate ideas, I became a major player in the outfitting of his choice, the dealership it would be bought at and other smaller items.
    Matt chose the car & the color. Sandy did the rest. The car has turned out to be my #1 favorite of all cars I have ever owned. My daily driver is the 2003 Town Car Signature Limited. It's a great great car, that MUST remain parked in anything over one inch of snow ! It also needs a big parking space, and comes in at 12 MPG in city stop & go traffic.
    The Jeep
    I outfitted it with every possible option MOPAR had. She's got in excess of 35 options on her. There is absolutely nothing in the Jeep book she lacks! She gets 18 MGP in stop &go, 27 on the freeway. The 4.0L Truck engine six is bullet-proof. I have (when he's home during Winter break) backed it out of the driveway with a half a foot of snow without plowing the driveway. I have taken down UNplowed roads, and up horrificly iced roads. I have driven it in blizzards. It's loads more comfortable than a non-owner would ever believe. Matt's version is the equal to many of cars with Brougham emblems on them. It now has 26,000 miles (It's a Final Edition, 2001) and it's in 100% perfect condition without a single door ding or blemish on it.
    When this new one comes out - I will sell the Town Car & buy it, hands down. (and) from the same little bitty, teeny tiny, itsy-bitsy dealership that can't do enough for its customers & treats each person like their own Mother!
    When they say: "JEEP": There IS only ONE ~ they know what they are talking about.
    When you want a certain desert, you do not ask for Gelitan, you ask for Jello
    When you cut your finger, you do not seek a plastic protection strip, you seek a Band-Aid.
    When you want a Pop or a Soda, you'll ask for a Coke. (A Pepsi or an R/C will please you - but you use the word COKE)
    So, it is with 4WD JEEP is the one! 26,000 miles - 3 drivers ZERO problems.
    I cannot wait for the Commander Brougham Limited
    AMEN sandy , i swear by the cherokee , the final editions were very handsome ...the first time i saw one tho i had my doubts about how capable it was , it looked cheap and flimsy (a base model 88 with the six) after a day off road in it i was sold on them ....then the last facelift was applied to the cherokke and made it into a very handsome SUV ...it may have been just a nose and tailight change but it did wonders for it ...when i lived in alaska i test drove a few ...but i never got the guts to go ahead and order one up ...now i live in florida , no reason to have one here ....

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

My friend has a 90s Cherokee with the 4.0 I6, it's a solid truck. There's a big mud puddle he goes through a lot when we go to McDonalds for lunch. He quit going through as much since he got his TPS wet though.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

I would not expect the Commander to be anywhere near as solid or bulletproof as the XJ 4.0L Cherokee. The Cherokee was the second to last AMC Design and was built with very different solid manufacturing methods than what the newer Jeeps are. If I buy anything else Jeep again (after having owned a 97, a 99 and drving an 02 Liberty), it will be either 1998 5.9 Limited ZJ, which was the true last AMC tooled vehicle (the ZJ body anyway), or a 2001 60th Anniversary Cherokee with the Limited interior package Silver on black interior.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    AMEN sandy , i swear by the cherokee , the final editions were very handsome ...the first time i saw one tho i had my doubts about how capable it was , it looked cheap and flimsy (a base model 88 with the six) after a day off road in it i was sold on them ....then the last facelift was applied to the cherokke and made it into a very handsome SUV ...it may have been just a nose and tailight change but it did wonders for it ...when i lived in alaska i test drove a few ...but i never got the guts to go ahead and order one up ...now i live in florida , no reason to have one here ....
    Hey, OT question....

in Augest I will be moving to Clearwater... for 2 years. After that I am not sure where I would go, I think I would like to stay in FL though....

but for my next car, I am torn between a sports car (Z28) a luxury car (CTS?) a sporty sedan car (Mazda6) or a truck. I really would like a truck... either a Silverado, a Tacoma or a Cherokee....

but in that section of FL... are there many places to go offroading or 4x4? since that would be the main reaon why I would want to get a truck (not to mention trucks are really cool) but I would sure like to go off roading alot....

that is my biggest decsion.. do I want another car... or a truck? it would probably be 2-3+ years before I get another car though....

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    but for my next car, I am torn between a sports car (Z28) a luxury car (CTS?) a sporty sedan car (Mazda6) or a truck.
    You know you just listed a luxury car AND a sporty sedan in one...

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

the CTS?

I dunno... I don't consider it a luxury car (why did I use that as an example?) I am a tradionalist though.... I wouldn't mind rocking a newer Town Car.... but.... I gotta have some spunk with my cars....

honestly, if it was practical, both with cost, and storage, my next car would be a 1955/1956 Coupe DeVille Convertible... and I would just drive my Olds daily until the wheels fell off.... but that isn't practical...

I also want a 1968 Coupe DeVille Convertible... but that isn't practical....

I am thinking, after tech school when I start to pay off my student loans and get a good job... I was a "NEW" car... atleast newer then 90's or something.... retire my current fleet... but I just don't know what I want... I wan a pickup, and a sports car... and a luxury car (but not one that trys to be all 3!) so I will have to decide... I mean, I already ave luxury cars... so scratch that... then maybe I could find an older pickup (I love '92-'96 F150.... the 300 I6 is a sweet engine too) and bv then (in FL atleast) I could pick up a truck in nice shape for cheap... so spend a could grand, get a nice 4x4 pickup for work and offroading, and then a newer sports car...

that Saturn Sky really catches my eye.... alot.... that and a ~1995 F150 would be a sweet combo... I would definitly be happy..... I would still have the '93 and '79 DeVilles too... and the Olds... if it is still around....

maybe thats it... stick to an older, cheap truck and a newer sports car...

I really want the truck though.... depending on the price (of the Ford) in FL, I may get one sooner rather then later

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

"Play", the 60Th Anniversary Model was based upon the SPORT.
    You needed to get the Limited for Leather. there was no Leather Package....
    Ours is Silver with Charcoal leather. Actually called Silverstone, a silver-GREY actually, metallic.

Dual Power Heated Reclining Seats, Dual Power Heated Folding Mirrors, Am Fm Stereo, Graphic Eq., Cassette & CD Players, Infiniti Audio with AMP & Subwoofer, Cruise & Tilt, Leather Wheel, 16" Tire & Wheel Pkg., Roof Rack, Rear Wiper/Washer, Deep Sun Screen glass, Pwr. Locks, Windows, ABS Braking, Full Size Spare & matching wheel, Light Group, Convenience Group, Protection Group, Dual Ill. Vanity Mirrors, Heavy Duty Battery, Pwr. Steer. Cooler, Tranny Cooler, H/D Radiator, 27-Piece Add'l. Int. Wood Kit, Cargo Mat, Cargo Security Cover, Sentry Key Security System, Overhead Trip Odometer & Compass & Trip Computer, Ash Tray & Lighter and "Selec-Trac" All Wheel Drive System. Purchased from a dealership that sells on average 84 cars a year, or 7 a month, with a 4 stall service department, 1 salesman, 1 manager, 1 office person, 1 clean up guy and 1 owner, accessable at most times, and lives in town.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Wolf
    Hey, OT question....

in Augest I will be moving to Clearwater... for 2 years. After that I am not sure where I would go, I think I would like to stay in FL though....

but for my next car, I am torn between a sports car (Z28) a luxury car (CTS?) a sporty sedan car (Mazda6) or a truck. I really would like a truck... either a Silverado, a Tacoma or a Cherokee....

but in that section of FL... are there many places to go offroading or 4x4? since that would be the main reaon why I would want to get a truck (not to mention trucks are really cool) but I would sure like to go off roading alot....

that is my biggest decsion.. do I want another car... or a truck? it would probably be 2-3+ years before I get another car though....
    there is a few places to go "muddin" thats about it ...humvee guys go up to oclala , i guess there are some imported rocks there to climb on ...but coming down ehre from alaska ...the offroad scene is more exiteing in a grocery store parkinglot ....

im my opion you cant go wrong with a Z28 Convertible or a Z28 T-TOP ..either way , if you get something down here make sure the top can come off ....one thing ive hated i still havent had a car with even a sunroof down here ....i wanna let the rays in damit !!!

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I'll take the chinese one.

Night Wolf... put a nitroused 5.4 in a town car and be done with it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.