Saturn Redline VS. SRT-4 VS. Modded Rice
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Saturn Redline VS. SRT-4 VS. Modded Rice in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; By modded Rice I mean Civics, as most of them that I've seen on the street probably aren't close to ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Saturn Redline VS. SRT-4 VS. Modded Rice

By modded Rice I mean Civics, as most of them that I've seen on the street probably aren't close to the 250 hp the Redline has. I heard that the SRT-4 is faster, but that was a while ago.

Should Cadillac make a smaller car to compete with these? This is a growing market. any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Re: Saturn Redline VS. SRT-4 VS. Modded Rice

No Cadillac shouldn't enter that market, the Redline "IS" slower then the SRT-4, and the Redline is a POS. Recalls out the ass. SRT-4 > Redline

Randy_W is offline Banned

If you're talking about the ION Redline, it has 205 h.p., not 250, big diff, it also weighs 100 lbs more and doesn't even sell in the same niche as the Neon. The VUE Redline does have a 250 h.p. Honda engine.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

2nd gen BLS could fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy_W
    and doesn't even sell in the same niche as the Neon.
    I was told that the Ion Redline was created either to take sales away from the Dodge, or fight Rice. I would have thought they were in the same niche.

OK, it needs the Honda engine to kick Mopar butt.

freefaller07 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

How about the CTS-V? I believe that to be in the same market as the SRT-4. There is an obvious winner in that battle. Cadillac power all the way. The CTS is currently Cadillac's smallest car correct? GM I believe is really out on the limb with saturn. That seems to be the branch where they try all new things and experiment. The saturn branch seems to do things a little differently and more money is now spent there because of the drop off of the Olds branch. Long as GM keeps making those caddys im happy.

Quote Originally Posted by freefaller07
    How about the CTS-V? I believe that to be in the same market as the SRT-4. There is an obvious winner in that battle. Cadillac power all the way. The CTS is currently Cadillac's smallest car correct? GM I believe is really out on the limb with saturn. That seems to be the branch where they try all new things and experiment. The saturn branch seems to do things a little differently and more money is now spent there because of the drop off of the Olds branch. Long as GM keeps making those caddys im happy.
    Ya, we're discussing Saturns future in that Lounge right now, in the "axe" thread, check it out.

I agree that the CTS-V is the smallest Caddy, but is it in the sub-compact-compact class? I think that's what the others here are? The V would totally kick them and is like a luxury Musclecar imo. I've always felt that it's Cadillac that is like the "experimental division." With new ideas like magnetic steering, night vision, etc. I think that's why more people complain about Cadillacs because there is more on them to go wrong in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

Cadillac I agree is the "experimental division". That is the division with success. The ideas that come out in Cadillacs are genious and are known to work. They have succeeded in all the ideas that were put to their cars. The saturn division is more I would say the guinea pig division. Trying many unperfected ideas resulting in several recalls and poor reliablity. Cadillac is perfected in all there wonderful ideas and there guaranteed to be of the upmost quality. That is why we pay good money for Cadillac's and we can buy Saturn's dirt cheap. Once again you get what you pay for.

The CTS-V is nowhere near their league. You can't even see their league from the left seat of a V. 50K vs 20K.

The Ion Redline needs about 30-40 more HP to keep up with an SRT-4.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville

The Ion Redline needs about 30-40 more HP to keep up with an SRT-4.
    What could be done to get that extra power out of the Redline w/o spending too much money? Would it be more difficult to get that extra power from a 4 as opposed to a V6...

Saturn's are not made to be fast. At best they are maybe "stylish" cars that offer slight performance but more or less economy. IMO of course. If you want cheap performance head over to the pontiac division. "Driving Excitement" is the motto there and they offer plenty of half way decent cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    What could be done to get that extra power out of the Redline w/o spending too much money? Would it be more difficult to get that extra power from a 4 as opposed to a V6...
    It's the supercharged ecotec, maybe it would appreciate a bit more boost and 91 octane or maybe nitrous on top of the boost. GM built an 850hp turbo ecotec so a lot is possible.

It's pretty much always easier to get more power out of a bigger displacement. More cyls doesn't mean more displacement necissarily, like the 3.4 Tarus SHO V8 compared with the Typhoon/Cyclone 4.3 V6.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The Ion has the worst interior of any car I've ever had the displeasure of sitting in. Its not the layout, its the quality. Blech. Gotta love that Ecotec though!

I'd like to see Pontiac offer a small car that isnt a rebadged Cobalt (Pursuit).

http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/...tid=24878&pg=1

"The new powerplant shares the base engine's general architecture, which has proven to be sound, and enhanced it with a high-strength steel crankshaft, oil-cooled lower-compression pistons, sodium-filled exhaust valves and additional components needed to withstand the strain a blower adds. Also, the GM Performance team developed a high-flow air intake and exhaust manifold for freer breathing. The car's cooling system was improved too, with a larger radiator core and bigger cooling fans. The result is pure, unadulterated mechanical adrenalin, designed to put that childlike nervous giggle back into your life."

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by freefaller07
    How about the CTS-V? I believe that to be in the same market as the SRT-4. There is an obvious winner in that battle. Cadillac power all the way.
    Your an idiot. Your comparing a $50k+ car to a glorified Neon that costs around $20k!? LOL!! :drinker But the Ion Redline's stock supercharger is maxed out on power. From what I have heard that even doing a pulley upgrade would blow the supercharger. Once again GM drops the ball with yet another car that could have had some promise to it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.