1975 Battle Of The Silken Giants - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 1975 Battle Of The Silken Giants in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have that magazine, too. Road Test, May, 1975. It was an interesting comparison, even if they were a little ...
    Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Re: 1975 Battle Of The Silken Giants

I have that magazine, too. Road Test, May, 1975.

It was an interesting comparison, even if they were a little too harsh to the Coupe de Ville.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    I'll agree with that. As to the downsized engines, I believe an 80-84 Brougham does 0-60 in 22 seconds. With that type of acceleration, one bought in 1983 might be crossing the 1/4 mile line right now.

Brian
    The 80-81s were 368 powered and guaranteed to be faster than the POS 4100 cars that followed.

Quote Originally Posted by 90Brougham350
    DopeStar doesn't even have the car yet! Let's let him pick it up and see how the 4100 looks.

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The 80-81s were 368 powered and guaranteed to be faster than the POS 4100 cars that followed.

Pardon me, I forgot that of course, 80 and 81 were 368s. And after I saw an 80 Brougham Coupe at the yard last weekend...shame on me!

Brian

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

eh, while I agree witht he fact that quality dropped in the late 70's and 80's, I still stand by the fact that my '79 DeVille runs, and runs great.... I could use it as a daily driver if I wanted, most all the stuff on it works too, so GM had to do something right because the thing is still around and kicking ass.... can't say the same for imports from 1979....

Also, while I would say the HT4100 and 307 did nothing for performance, I can't say anything for the 368, but I imagine it wouldn't be TOO bad (consdering the engines that followed)

But to say the 425 was a dog.... eh, I can't say that... sure it is smaller then the 472/500, but it is also in a smaller and lighter car. It also gets better gas mileage then a 472 (10mpg vs 14mpg etc...) and I guess runs cleaner (like I care about emmissions though) but even my stock 90k 425 in my '79 DeVille with the 2.28 gears has more then enough power to put any "grandpa" car statements to rest.... because of a limited amount of power.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Part of the 425 getting better mileage happens to be the cars they were in weighed a half ton less than the 500/472 cars.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop
    well I think cadillac has always been a symbol of "wealth" and it formed this 'old man' persona a while back when the only people who could really afford the cars were 'wealthy'. i think the switch was made because other companys and cars started getting more expensive which was a bigger sign of wealth. with all these luxury brands to choose from, i'm not surprised cadillac isn't the 'leading' luxury brand of car. what, a rolls royce phantom costs around 400,000? new cars, new symbol of power. the 'old man' persona just stuck.
    true. i talked with my grandmother once and she said the reason she wanted a Cadillac was because when she was growing up in the 50s, that was the car to have, and she always said she would own one some day.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.