I need help/Info regarding Acura
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, I need help/Info regarding Acura in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ...
    1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Question I need help/Info regarding Acura

Greetings fellow Caddy brothers and sisters. I need some help/advice regarding a future car purchase.

My youngest daughter just got her driver’s license and I am looking for a nice, reliable used car for her. I have mostly owned Caddies and Benzes so that is where my experience lies. We bought a used Benz 300TE wagon for our oldest daughter when she got her license. Now, however, we want to go with something that is less expensive to maintain and insure. So we have expanded our search to Toyota, Honda, Acura, Nissan, Mazda, Volkswagen, etc.

We want a car that is not too big, but also not itty-bitty tiny. This morning on the way to work I saw a nice looking 1995 Acura L sedan. The car looks good on the outside and from what I could see inside, the interiors are in very nice shape. I called the owners and he is asking $5,500.00 OBO. The car, however, has 227K miles (mostly freeway miles he assured me).

From my own experience with the cars that I have owned I now how far engines can be driven before expensive repairs begin to crop up. The 1991 420SEL has over 250K, and I drove a 1984 300SD (Benz diesel) until it had nearly 300K. My wife’s 2002 Yukon has 200K miles on the odometer (we drive it EVERYWHERE). The two Benzes all ran fine and the Yukon’s engine is still sweet.

But I know nothing about Acuras, except that the timing belt should/must be changed every 100K or so. If the timing belt fails, it forces the valve guides into the cylinders and pistons and the engine is shot. Fortunately, changing the belt is fairly inexpensive (about $300.00).

Can anyone out there with Acura experience tell me whether this is car is worth my attention or whether I should pass up on it. And, if I decide to get it, what things should I look into.

I had considered the Catera, but I read that they have so many problems that I decided to pass up on them.

I would greatly appreciate any help, assistance, suggestions, whatever you have to offer.

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: I need help/Info regarding Acura

That's a lot of mileage on the Acura.. Maybe have a mechanic give it a real good once over.. Do a wet and dry compression test, even.. Honda / Acura cars do last for a long, long time - but that IS a lot of mileage...

Otherwise.. I'm not all that knowledgeable in regards to the Catera - but aren't the later models pretty reliable? I thought Cadillac got most of the bugs out by then...

I'd stay away from Volkswagen.. I'm guessing you're considering the Passat? Or the Jetta? My Wife used to be a service advisor for Volkswagen and said the vehicles were very unreliable..

I don't know about Mazda but you can't go wrong with Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus or Nissan/Infiniti. Still, the nice ones are very expensive - even for 1995's..

The only other Cadillac I can think of would be the CTS, but that might be over your budget.. The Lexus ES300.. Check into that.. My Aunt has one, a late 90s, and she loves it...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

When you get a car that's 10 years old and has a quarter-million miles on it, it's condition depends LARGELY upon how well the previous owner maintained it. Obviously there has been some maintenance or the car wouldn't have made it this far...but it sounds like a crap shoot. I'd say he's asking far too much money for that car for starters, unless he's put a lot of new parts and work into the car recently. If if were me I'd want something newer, with fewer miles. I believe you can get a lot more car for your $5500 smokes. JHMO

I'm not sure what you mean by "an L Sedan," it's one of the following: TL, or Legend L Sedan. Estimates on wholesale value / person-to-person value / and high retail are as follows:

1995 TL in clean condition: 1953 / 2758 / 4100

1995 Legend 4dr L sedan clean condition: 3049 / 4022 / 5665 (this includes auto tranny and keyless entry. Add $100 to base price for cd player, add $150 for leather seats). Good luck, hope this helps.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

5500 for 230k? Ripoff at any speed.

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    5500 for 230k? Ripoff at any speed.

Kev

1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

OK...moving away from the specific Acura that I saw for sale.

How are Acuras in general?

Toyotas?

Hondas?

What should I look for (as trouble spots) in any of the above three brands?

Thanks.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Hondas and Acuras are generally good cars. Give them the once over: Check all body lines to see they're straight, look where the car is normally parked to see if the car leaks fluids. Give the car a good shake to see if you can elicit a rattle from the underbody of the car. Run your finger over the paint to check for uniform feeling...also look closely for uniform color and new clear coat (to see if its been repainted). Check under the hood and in the trunk to see if body panels have been replaced (look at spot welds and color/overspray). Check the pedals to see of they're excessively worn (hard driving). Lastly make sure all things work properly: roll all windows down and up (sunroof included), adjust all seats and mirrors, check radio cd/casette, and check ac/heater. Turn wheel lock to lock. Pull the dipstick and look at the oil (I'm leary of fresh oil/fluid changes b/c they can be hiding something). Obviously oil shouldn't have antifreeze or metal flakes in it. Any mechanic can give a car this once over for you, and maybe do a compression test on older/high mileage car to check integrity of cylinders and rings. Also look at the engine itself to see of there's oil leaking/seeping from anything (this is worthless if the engine compartment has been cleaned).

Here's a good link to follow:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ght=buying+car

ben72227 is offline Banned

Hondas and Acuras are (overall) well built cars, and most of the 90s models were perfect in terms of reliability. As for Toyota, I know that the mid 90's camrys had engine problems, mainly with the EGRs in them. EGR = Exaust Gas Recirculation, i think.

Might I recommend a Lexus ES 300, since you're looking at Acuras too. They are great cars and they are luxary like Acura, but they are Lexus = more refined. Also, you could look into an Infiniti J30 or a BMW 5-series (im talking about mid 90s models, just to clarify)

1SICKLEX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Lexus GS 450h...others..

The Acura Legend was the best Acura ever made. Made in Japan, rock solid, 200hp V-6, top quality car before Acura decided to go the cheap/value route of things.

Also look at the ES 300 another indestructable car.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The ES300 and Camry with the same motor are prone to sludge. A lot of owners neglect oil changes, so proper maintenance makes it a non-issue, but how much you really trust the previous owner's word? Lots of ES300 engine swaps are taking place now.
    Nice cars, but overpriced in the used market.

Check out the Acura Legend, Infiniti I30, and early to mid 90s BMW 5-series. The J30 is a nice car, but owner neglect makes the transmission prone to early failure. Avoid any DaimlerBenz product made after 1995 (or 1999 for the C-class).

And what Sal said about VW/Audi.

-Jesda

1SICKLEX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Lexus GS 450h...others..

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    The ES300 and Camry with the same motor are prone to sludge. A lot of owners neglect oil changes, so proper maintenance makes it a non-issue, but how much you really trust the previous owner's word? Lots of ES300 engine swaps are taking place now.
    Nice cars, but overpriced in the used market.

Check out the Acura Legend, Infiniti I30, and early to mid 90s BMW 5-series. The J30 is a nice car, but owner neglect makes the transmission prone to early failure. Avoid any DaimlerBenz product made after 1995 (or 1999 for the C-class).

And what Sal said about VW/Audi.

-Jesda
    There sludge problem is overblown. It was a VOLUNTARY recall. Its rare for the problem to occur but as u stated, it is b/c of people not maintaining their cars, so yes, its something to look into.
    THe I30 is trash, horrible ride (no Independant suspension), it looks dated compared to the Legend/ES and the car is now discontinued.
    The early 5 is solid but be prepared to repari. The J30 has decent reliablity but is discontinued as well.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

ES300, enough said. I had it in mind from the very moment I saw the words "My daughter..."

evilrussian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '83 SDV, '91 SDV

I bought my CL with 58K on the clock and it has 90K right now. The only thing I had to replace was the weatherstriping on the bottom of the drivers door window, which had split I guess from me opening window too damn much. And thats about it. I'm very pleased with it and planning on running it to 250K at least. The reason I bought it because many of my friends had Hondas/Acuras and I only heard positive feedback about those cars. I even convinced my mom into getting an Acura. She traded her '00 TransAm for a used '01 TL and very happy with it too.

As far as that Legend for $5500 with 227K I'd say it's a ripoff, you can find something a lot better for that kind of money.

Kev

Here's a thought, take that 5.5k, find a nice, low miles, early 90's Coupe Deville for around 3k and put the 2.5k in a gas/repair/insurance fund for the daughter.
    Hmm?

Kev

Kev

By the way, I have 3 teenage girls here at home, 2 that are driving. When I first got the '89 DeVille they didn't like it. Then I let the 2 that can drive it. They changed their minds in a hurry. My youngest will be 15 the end of this month and guess which car she will be learning to drive in? (and she the last of the 'Cadi Haters').

Kev

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.