I need help/Info regarding Acura - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, I need help/Info regarding Acura in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Actually, I know of at -least- one professional service shop in Atlanta with heavy volume that specializes in luxury imports ...
    Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Re: 1SICKLEX

Actually, I know of at -least- one professional service shop in Atlanta with heavy volume that specializes in luxury imports (especially Lexus and Infiniti). They get MORE than a FEW ES300s requiring engine replacement and they DO NOT reccommend the vehicle. You are shopping used -- how much do you really trust the previous owner? Dont put your faith in a brand or your hopes in someone who is dumping their vehicle; base your decisions on reality. Reality says that most people are lazy about oil changes, rendering an otherwise excellent vehicle a risky long-term choice. Get records and receipts as proof of OCI or move on.

It doesnt matter if a recall is voluntary, as it is typically done to retain long term customer loyalty and high satisfaction ratings (and avoid lawsuits) in the face of quality concerns. You'll note that GM and Ford often do the same, so the type of recall issued has absolutely no bearing on the level of mechanical urgency.

And while this is entirely subjective, Toyota/Lexus styling is about as exciting and compelling as Martha Stewart.

The I30 was replaced a few years ago by the I35. The independent suspension you complain about was lost with the I35 when cost cutting became a priority (though power and torque output increased, unfortunately causing torque steer to become an annoyance).
    So check out the I30. Again, I suggest basing used vehicle purchases off facts instead of anger-driven fanboy rants.

The J30 has transmission issues of great concern. Few people flush their transmissions and install auxilary coolers. Add to that the fact that the drivetrain from a 300ZX is now burdened by a heavy luxury sedan.

And of course many of these cars will be discontinued. Thats the essence of a used car. Model continuity has no bearing on parts availability, satisfaction, or quality regarding the vehicles being discussed. Perhaps you should have read the original post: "I am looking for a nice, reliable used car for her."

You'd also be happy with a last-generation Acura TL. No, they arent exciting by any measure, but they operate and perform like a quality set of tools. Perhaps not thrilling, but never disappointing -- in that regard, always satisfying.

1toycad is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: I need help/Info regarding Acura

Thank you all for your replies and great advice (keep it coming)

Buying a used car (for your kid) is like dating. You have to kiss a lot of dogs before you find your true princess

As for Jesda's comment:

And while this is entirely subjective, Toyota/Lexus styling is about as exciting and compelling as Martha Stewart.

Personally, I find Marthat to be very sexy. She has all that money, she owns a great business and she has been in jail. Grrrrrrr

I will keep your advice in mind. I am still focusing on either a mid 80's Benz diesel (with low mileage) or a Japanese import. I really like the Acuras and Hondas, not too sure about Toyotas.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I've owned three Acuras-- '87 Legend, '90 Legend, '97 RL. My mother had a '92 Legend, which is the same generation you are considering.

They ARE great cars, very reliable, but I think they declined a little in build quality and reliability since '96. If I'm not mistaken, the '95 Legend you're looking at was built in Japan, which (to quote Martha Stewart) is a good thing. With Hondas and Acuras, always look for a VIN starting with "J".

227,000 is too high for me on ANY car at ANY price. If you can find one under 150,000 I would jump on it, and the $5500 price would seem about right if the interior is well preserved.

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

This is the best car I ever owned: '90 Legend LS.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Get a "cone bone"... Mid nineties Taurus SHO baby!! LOL, Sorry, I had to bring that in here. Actually those arent bad if you can find one in good shape.

I dont know about your Mechanic friend Jesda, but I hear nothing but praise from Camry/ES300 owners, dealers and general Mechanics. It is always THE car they would get for their wife/child if they needed to. Ive known several people with Camry's that love them to death and ride them like 3.00 whores. Ive known many MORE people with Infiniti's that have had issues with them, especially with the first severely underpowered QX4 and the bland I30. I like the new G35 and FX, but would stay away from just about anything else from Infiniti except some of the mid nineties Q's. I have the same feelings about Infiniti styling that you do about Lexus styling, so I agree its totally subjective. In my eyes, the new Q looks like a beached whale or something, the proportions are completely off and those lights make it look hideous. The LS on the other hand, while certainly about as exciting as a box of oat bran, is properly proportioned and has flowing body lines and a truly sumptuous interior. Infiniti has a lot of "stick on" looking wood, even on the steering wheel.

I still have my vote in heavily for the ES300... it is a car that will not disappoint, so long as its been taken care of.

1SICKLEX is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Lexus GS 450h...others..

Re: 1SICKLEX

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    Actually, I know of at -least- one professional service shop in Atlanta with heavy volume that specializes in luxury imports (especially Lexus and Infiniti). They get MORE than a FEW ES300s requiring engine replacement and they DO NOT reccommend the vehicle. You are shopping used -- how much do you really trust the previous owner? Dont put your faith in a brand or your hopes in someone who is dumping their vehicle; base your decisions on reality. Reality says that most people are lazy about oil changes, rendering an otherwise excellent vehicle a risky long-term choice. Get records and receipts as proof of OCI or move on.

It doesnt matter if a recall is voluntary, as it is typically done to retain long term customer loyalty and high satisfaction ratings (and avoid lawsuits) in the face of quality concerns. You'll note that GM and Ford often do the same, so the type of recall issued has absolutely no bearing on the level of mechanical urgency.

The I30 was replaced a few years ago by the I35. The independent suspension you complain about was lost with the I35 when cost cutting became a priority (though power and torque output increased, unfortunately causing torque steer to become an annoyance).
    So check out the I30. Again, I suggest basing used vehicle purchases off facts instead of anger-driven fanboy rants.

The J30 has transmission issues of great concern. Few people flush their transmissions and install auxilary coolers. Add to that the fact that the drivetrain from a 300ZX is now burdened by a heavy luxury sedan.

And of course many of these cars will be discontinued. Thats the essence of a used car. Model continuity has no bearing on parts availability, satisfaction, or quality regarding the vehicles being discussed. Perhaps you should have read the original post: "I am looking for a nice, reliable used car for her."

You'd also be happy with a last-generation Acura TL. No, they arent exciting by any measure, but they operate and perform like a quality set of tools. Perhaps not thrilling, but never disappointing -- in that regard, always satisfying.
    I'm sorry, I do have a 92 ES 300 MANUAL with 209k on the odometer. I also help run www.seloc.net, an Atlanta based car club. Finally I am a super-mod on www.clublexus.com and www.lextreme.com I know a lil about Lexus and their issues . There is no tremendous sludge issue. Its with a few models. And even with sludge (which does not cause engine failure) the rest of the cars are pretty flawless for used cars. They are the most reliable cars in their class.

Yet you recommened the last gen TL? The one with the tranny recall? HIDs stolen with a crow-bar and 2 minutes of time. The one that rattles like a baby rattle, chips paint and cracks leather like a kit kat?

You cannot go wrong with a used ES 300 nor a used Legend, with decent maintenance. :coolgleam

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/lexus.html

Doesn't sound like the ES 300 is so rock solid to me:

"These engines should get at least 200,000 or more. They say it's because of lack of maintenance. I have all my oil change receipts and offered to send them and was told if I send them in they would present it before the service dept. people and let them review the problem. I was told the car is too old and has too many miles. I do not feel this is a problem of mine and this is no different than the problem they had with the 1997 thru 2002. They know they have had a problem with these engines in the past, they just don't want to take mine under the warranty."

Seems like the dealership wants the business of changing the oil. The sludge problem is still a mystery however, and there have been cases where Toyota refuses to replace the engine! Never heard of this on a Cadillac.

http://yotarepair.com/How_to_prevent_sludge.html

If it came down to it I'd take an Acura over a Lexus/Toyota anyday!

1toycad, personally I'd look for one with lower miles.

http://forum.mpt.org/messages/9/1966.html?1037940140

"Toyota owner until his 99 Camry which developed sludge and Toyota refused to cover it under their warranty and blamed his stepfather for the sludge. His stepfather stopped making payments to Toyota Financial Services who repossessed the car. After getting a lawyer, etc. Toyota was forced to buy back the car, reimburse the owner for all expenses and reinstate their credit rating which had been virtually destroyed when the car was repossessed. So you see, this Toyota thing goes much deeper than the slippage in quality; it goes into a definite lack of integrity on the part of Toyota corporate leadership. And that's scary."

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Toyota's warranty extension on the engines was a very smart business move, and a good effort to retain customer loyalty.

I tend to agree on the latest Q45. Its too blobby. Like something from the sea! I do like the new tail on the refreshed 05 Q45, although now it looks exactly like a Bonneville.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.