Jaguar XK8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Jaguar XK8 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Still stuck here in Japan, but iam looking for a car for when i go back to the states. I've ...
    DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Jaguar XK8

Still stuck here in Japan, but iam looking for a car for when i go back to the states. I've been looking at Jaguar's XK8, not the XKR those are out of my price range. XK8s have been going for around 20-25k. Really they are what the eldo should have been, they have a 4.0 V8 with 290hp(Rs are supercharged with 370hp) , rear wheel drive, 2+2 seating, leather and wood everywhere. Anyone have any thoughts or experiance with these cars?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Jaguar XK8

When Car and Driver compared this car to its Mercedes and BMW counterparts they found it wanting. It was basically more expensive then the others, and you didn't get more performance for your money. The C&D editors usually put performance at the top of their lists though. Of course they found the BMW M3 the best performance luxury sedan for 05. I think the XK8 is a beautiful car though, the design is a little dated. Jaguar is always a good choice IMHO.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Well... In the category for which it competes its now a bargain (SL, SC430, XLR are its noteworthy competitors). It doesnt seem to be made with the same level of solidity as the XJ for some reason, but as far as convertibles go, for 25 grand you cant go wrong. (Make sure to get a low mileage one, a high mileage Jag could eat you out of house and home in repair bills, even with their much improved reliability these days).

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Maybe it's too many bad memories of working on my mom's 84 XJ6, but I would stay clear of Jags. The styling isn't as definitive as it should be, it just doesn't hold up compared to others in its class, and like Playdrv4me already said, repairs, when they do come, will cost you an arm and a leg. And even though they're a Ford product now, contrary to popular belief there are still problems with the electrical.

Brian

68'Eldorado is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I read in motortrend that the new XK8 would be faster than the Sl500 in standard form and in XKR form, it would be faster than the SL55 AMG. They said this is due to its all aluminum body. It is definately a lighter car. Benz roadsters are too heavy.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

If you have money to spend on repairs, go for it. The electrical system in Jagaurs is crappy as hell. Almost 90% of all the newer Jaguars I've seen on the road have at least one headlight out, and that's just the beginning. A car like that is just a disaster waiting to happen. They may look nice, but they still have many problems. I'm starting to believe that Lucas still makes the electronics in them. It's may not be true, but it sure seems like it.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by 68'Eldorado
    I read in motortrend that the new XK8 would be faster than the Sl500 in standard form and in XKR form, it would be faster than the SL55 AMG. They said this is due to its all aluminum body. It is definately a lighter car. Benz roadsters are too heavy.
    A friend has an SL 500 that I had the opportunity to drive. You're correct, they're not that fast. Their 0-60 is over 6 seconds, but the car is damn nice. I guess my point is beating an SL 500 isn't a very hard trick.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

The reason the Jag XK series is still a contender, is because of its classic British styling and elegant interior design. I'd say those two virtues alone have kept Jaguar afloat over the last 20 years. You can get more car for the money anywhere else, but you cant get a Jaguar.

I believe most folks dont cross-shop between Jaguar and other brands very often. When you want a Jaguar, you go get a Jaguar. I suppose thats the upside to being a small niche brand.

The XK might have been my first choice a couple years ago, especially after the recent downfall of Mercedes-Benz build quality (and the SC430 is an aesthetic disaster). But now that the XLR is available, the XK8 looks even more out of date.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

I agree... however when I was up next to an XKR at the Caddy dealer the other day (obviously traded on an XLR for sure) it just evoked a feeling in me not many cars have lately. It has a very exotic feel and essence to it when your up next to it. The XKR at least.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

XK8 coupe..........the coupe has a style so unique ....convert nice too but Coupe is fantastic..

DeVillish is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If i got one, i'd get a coupe. Also i've heard that the XK8 was the first car that was made after the ford take over, and much better in overall reliablitity. I've got pleanty of time to reseach and make up my mind though. I just wish the Eldorado was RWD, problem would be sloved.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.