This thing has gone somewhat un-noticed... C55 AMG vs. CTS-V
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, This thing has gone somewhat un-noticed... C55 AMG vs. CTS-V in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I went into my local caddy dealer today to look at a possible lease, and funny enough, I stumbled across ...
    Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

This thing has gone somewhat un-noticed... C55 AMG vs. CTS-V

I went into my local caddy dealer today to look at a possible lease, and funny enough, I stumbled across one of the few cars thats made me crane my neck in a while. Some guy in the Cadillac parking lot had a MB C55 AMG which I didnt even know existed yet (I knew of the C32, C43 and C36 only... all somewhat blah in light of their competition). So I looked up the specs and its pretty impressive. Despite only having 362hp from its 5.5L V8, it still manages to achieve a 4.5 second published 0-60 time and thats with a SLUSHBOX, which might be a turnoff for many, but a real bonus to some. This automatic is called a speedshift, and apparently yields as good if not better performance than the stick in most stickshift cars (though not as good as the M3 SMG unit). Retail sticker is 55k putting it just in the sights of the CTS-V, and in the same ballpark as the M3. Aside from those of you who yes we know... will only buy domestic, what do you think about it? I am very tempted to at least drive one and see what its all about. It supposedly doesnt have the same road feel as our venerable V's or the M3.

With so much talk of the CTS-V in comparison to 300's, M3's, Vette's and even the S60R, this new addition has gone somewhat un-noticed. MB Doesnt help much by not promoting their cars at all. Has anyone driven this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: This thing has gone somewhat un-noticed... C55 AMG vs. CTS-V

Nice car alright. Some of these newer MB's are getting pretty nice. As I've said before, today, there are an aweful lot of nice sport sedans to choose from out there.

Yea I know, gone are the days when you had to have 80-100k laying around to get this kind of performance and a decent amount of luxury.

CTSV05 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I would imagine this is a very nice ride, I'm sure its up to the MB standard and the price is there as well.

You must drive one to see the difference or you won't be content.

As for me, I'm proud to be finally driving an American car that is as impressive to drive as to look at.

homer403 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

As the previous owners of one of these Mercedes.... you will love the performance, but it will spend more time in the repair shop. The electrical problems alone rendered the car dead for one month straight where they gave up and replace the whole car electrical harness at a cost of $5,000.00. And get this, it still didn't fix it. They then replaced every electrical component twice and still couldn't fix it and then the car wouldn't start because of a drain on the battery which it killed every morning. I found that other owners had major electrical problems too. The Nav/Command center was replace 3 times at a cost of $2,000 per unit. I was told that mercedes lost money on my car.... granted they gave me a Mercedes to drive. There is a reason why Mercedes's JD Powers survey is near the bottom. That's why I got a V car. I hope one day to return to Mercedes but not until they improve in the JD Powers survey. By the way, I hear the new E55 has the same electrical problems. One fix Mercedes is trying to do is to install two batteries in their cars and trucks, as will be seen on the new M class and on other cars. Also, some of the new adaptive controls features found in the E class will not make it to the new S class, said something about their confidence in their electronics if they won't put it into their new flagship after horrible reliability in the new E class.

Again, let me state... I love Mercedes but you will go crazy with the "out-of the-blue" electrical problems.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by homer403
    As the previous owners of one of these Mercedes.... you will love the performance, but it will spend more time in the repair shop. The electrical problems alone rendered the car dead for one month straight where they gave up and replace the whole car electrical harness at a cost of $5,000.00. And get this, it still didn't fix it. They then replaced every electrical component twice and still couldn't fix it and then the car wouldn't start because of a drain on the battery which it killed every morning. I found that other owners had major electrical problems too. The Nav/Command center was replace 3 times at a cost of $2,000 per unit. I was told that mercedes lost money on my car.... granted they gave me a Mercedes to drive. There is a reason why Mercedes's JD Powers survey is near the bottom. That's why I got a V car. I hope one day to return to Mercedes but not until they improve in the JD Powers survey. By the way, I hear the new E55 has the same electrical problems. One fix Mercedes is trying to do is to install two batteries in their cars and trucks, as will be seen on the new M class and on other cars. Also, some of the new adaptive controls features found in the E class will not make it to the new S class, said something about their confidence in their electronics if they won't put it into their new flagship after horrible reliability in the new E class.

Again, let me state... I love Mercedes but you will go crazy with the "out-of the-blue" electrical problems.
    I have heard the same thing A friend who has worked for many years in an MB service department has commented on how much their quaility has degenerated in recent years.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Mercedes AMG is putting some serious numbers down... I too have heard about gremlins, but not first hand from an owner, only from forums. One knock on the E55 is the "strange" feeling of brakes/steering, as well as being a bit sloppy in the handling department. Probably depends on what you want to do. If you're looking for something that accerates very well, that handles high speed trips well.... and you don't care as much about carving through the twisties, then perhaps you should go test drive a C55. Make sure to let us know what you think.

V-Max Guest

Like Homer403, my Mercedes AMG had too many gremlins and poor customer service representation. The AMG line-up sure packing the power now though.

Norm

ylwjacket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I thought about these, but the back seat and storage were too small. I needed three real seats in the rear, not 2. And, the additional legroom.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Not suprised about the shifting in the auto. All auto trannies shift faster than all manuals, its the torque convertor that makes the difference. They can make the auto's faster than a manual but the stall needed would kill fuel economy and cuse the engine and tranny to run hotter.

RobzBLKV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The interior is a step up from the normal c class and the car is well put together, imo. But it's much smaller than a V and it doesn't handle nearly as well. They go like hell - in a straight line. But - they only come with automatics. You mentioned some of us only want to buy from the U.S. (which I was happy to be able to do), but some of us won't even consider a car that comes auto or smg only (that would be me).

I would also have reservations about the quality - Mercedes is at an all time low for quality right now and it's not all from the disaster that was the ML series.

drdsgolf is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm very happy with my V, but I certainly considered the E55 AMG featured at my local dealer, black on black. It is a beautiful, high-powered comfortable 4-door sedan. The sticker price put it out of the competition--they usually want 85-90 large for it.

ds

I agree on the quality thing. I dont know what happened with Mercedes, they were very good up until about the late 90's, roundabout the time the ML came out, and the S Class was restyled. I dont understand it, and they better get their act together soon on this because as seen here, its really starting to hurt their image and appearance. I no longer desire an S Class in any way shape or fashion. I have officially gotten to the point where after looking at the STS yesterday, I would now consider a well equipped STS over the current S-Class.

Fuggetaboudit is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I second the electrical gremlins on the Mercedes which I have and am experiencing first hand. My benz sits in the driveway since buying the V. It had been in the shop for 20 days during the first year of ownership, I drove it to work yesterday because of the snow and I noticed a new electrical gremlin acting up. The lease on the benz is up in 6 months and I'll be eager to turn it in. I too looked long and hard at the E55 but couldn't say was 40k more car....

Bob in NY is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I drove a C55, lots of power, excellent handling although a firm ride and heavy steering. Nice V-8 rumble too.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.