Towncar vs. Brougham
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Towncar vs. Brougham in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I'm wondering what people think about a comparison between the '89 Towncars and the '90-92 Broughams. I know the Towncar ...
    90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Towncar vs. Brougham

I'm wondering what people think about a comparison between the '89 Towncars and the '90-92 Broughams. I know the Towncar was redesigned in 1990, but the Brougham underwent some pretty big changes in '93, which is why I chose this comparison. My best friend had a white 89 TC, I have a tan 90 Brougham. Thoughts?

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Re: Towncar vs. Brougham

I don't know this for a fact, but I believe the 90-92 Fleetwood Brougham handled a little better than the previous years. If what I've read is correct, this is where Cadillac initially began taking some of the "floaty" ride out of their cars. Still, the Brougham drove very smoothly - as did the 94-96 (which handled even better). So, the Town Car is probably (bearly noticible) the softer riding car, while the Brougham is the more powerful car. Otherwise, they were both very similar. The Town Car got an exterior update on that 1990 model year, but I don't believe anything else had changed. Drive train and interior were the same as in 1989. 1991 changed the interior and drivetrain...

I don't mind being corrected if I'm wrong.
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Over the years I have owned 5 Imperials, 3 Cadillacs & 3 Lincolns. Take it from me, the three of them had far more similiarities than they had differances! Where they were different, the differences were so slight that a 3rd place in one area would hardly be noticeable, even when compared to a first place. What stands out in my mind follows:

Smoothest ride = Lincoln
    Best Seats = Imperial
    Most Nimble = Cadillac
    Quietest Engine = Cadillac
    Most Raw Power = Imperial
    Quietest Engine under Full throttle = Imperial
    Easiest Resale = Cadillac
    Largest Trunk = Lincoln
    Best Braking = Imperial
    First in little stuff breakling = Lincoln
    Most knowledgeable Service Techs = Lincoln
    Least knowledgable service Techs = Imperial
    Biggest Depreciation = Imperial
    Made the neighbors most jealous = Lincoln

ReagansRollsRoyce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

To Sal on the 90-92 Brougham, I would agree, except the 90 was probably a little slower than the 90 Town Car because, if I'm not mistaken, the 90 Brougham still had the Olds 307 whereas 91-92 went to the Chevy 305. I say the 90 Town Car was faster only because the 302 on my former 87 Grand Marquis was definitely faster than the 307 on my 87 Brougham is, and they were still using the 302 in the 90 Town Car. Make sense?

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Yeah, that makes sense.. I thought there was a 350 option for the Brougham but I could be wrong... In that case, the 302 would be the stronger car...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

You're correct, you could get a 350 in a Brougham with either the Coachmaster or the Tow package, and I can definately feel a difference from my 90 Brougham to my friend's 89 TC.

ReagansRollsRoyce is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham

Good point, with the 350 the Brougham would definitely be faster.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

To be honest, I'd be hard pressed to believe that even the Olds 307 powered Caddies were slower than the same year Lincolns. The Town Car's were always slow. In '90, the Cadillac had a LO5 350 TBI engine from the Chevy truck line as an option. That stayed until '94 when the LT1 came onboard, and that engine stayed until the death of the RWD car in '96.
    As for the differences, I'd agree with Sandy that the two were far more similar than different. The two car companies kept it that way due to a very heated rivalry. IMO, the following held true:

1. Softest ride = Lincoln
    2. Best ride = Cadillac (the Town Cars always had a more floaty ride)
    3. Best handling = Cadillac (the T/C didn't handle worth a damn until after the Fleetwood was gone)
    4. Most powerful = Cadillac (other than the HT4100 years)
    5. Most durable = Cadillac

Also IMO,
    The '91 & '92 Brougham was the best car you could ask for. Classic looks and they were the most trouble-free of any other year, with the possible exception being the '95.

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

I have a 85 Fleetwood Brougham, that has been in the family for 11 years. And about 9 years ago we had an 84 Town Car, the only thing that the Town Car had over the Caddy was the power (5.0 vs 4.1, self explanitory right there), but every where else the Caddy won, no question.

Another comparison, my friend's brother rode in my 89 Sedan DeVille and to his testimony it rode better than his friend's 95 Town Car. (Now the Caddy 4.5 will give the 4.6 a nice run for the money).

This is just my opinion, as I grew up riding in Caddys.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

i owned a TC (95 or 96, didnthave it long enough to find out) for a week. i sold it cause it had transmission problems and air bag problems (wow what a shock ). anyways, it didnt compare to my 93 Brougham. it was a whole lot slower and it made me a little nauseated (ok i know that aint spelled right) everytime i drove it. my mom and dad sat in the back of it and were sick by the time i got to the resturant 10 miles down the road. now, i have drove the 98s and newer and they are real nice. rides real good (dont get me wrong, no Fleetwood or anything) and id buy one in a hearbeat.

I have to admit, there's some fine Town Cars out there, but I just have to go with the Brougham. However, one thing I think even any Lincoln enthusiast would have to admit though, is the styling on the 89 TC. It's far boxier than the Brougham, and the rear deck is huge! leaving only a short little trunk that's 8 feet deep. The Brougham just has the classy look, especially with the quarterpanels into the tail lights.

Brian

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

I like the 1986-89 Broughams designwise more (over the 1990-92) because of the four headlights, it just looks more classic. But if i had to get a 1986-92 Brougham, it would be the 1992 model because of the 350, ABS, lower body moldings and preferably in the D'elegance package, overall in the '80's and '90's i like the fleetwood/brougham more but between 1974 and 1979 i would have to go with the continental/town car because of the better grilles, unless its a 1974-76 Talisman, and i never did like the lines on the '77-79 brougham.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

LMAO to you guys comparing the "speed" of american luxo barges......hahhaha.

What ever happened to that guy with the 500CI 1992 or so Brougham?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Ultra slow or whatever his name was? That guy had an 80.

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

what about the 1995 Town Car V. The 1995 Fleetwood?
    Heres how it boils down for me:
    Power/ Acceleration- Fleetwood
    Exterior Design- Town Car, except i do like the fleetwood's rear end more, but i do think the exterior looks rather "whaleish"
    Interior Design- town car, i dont like the 1991-96 GM B- Body interior, i think the dash is too big, plus the town car has much more info available in it's instrument cluster
    Reliability- Town Car, but the fleetwood is a very close 2nd
    Seats- Town Car has very cushy seats, well atleast in my friend's 1991 Executive Series
    Ride- Town Car, i hear the T/C is smoother but the fleetwood "handles" better
    Trim Lines- Town Car, executive , signiature, cartier v. the fleetwood, brougham
    Manufacturer- Fleetwood---Well duh! im a cadillac man
    Fuel "Economy"- Ha! well i'd have to say the T/C would have better "economy" because its got a 4.6 v. the 5.7
    Driveability- Town Car, smaller blind spots and traction control for the minnesota winters.

So all in all, i would probably take the 1995 Town Car.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.