Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I know that we've had the discussion about Acura not being a true luxury car like Cadillac, etc. but DAYMN...what ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP!

I know that we've had the discussion about Acura not being a true luxury car like Cadillac, etc. but DAYMN...what I saw in the showroom impressed me today!

I checked out the new AWD RL (pearl white) and they are definately trying to compete with Cadillac IMO! It costs the same as a nicely equipted DTS ($70,000 Cdn.) and has power to match. It has the equivalent of Stabilitrack. The car actually "welcomes" you when you open the door. The remote keyless entry that senses your presence much like the XLR, or STS, etc. The only problem I had with it is that the front end looks identical to a little Mazda 3's.

Considering that the '05 DTS Northstar HP is down to 290 @ 5600 rpm, and torque is 285 @ 4400 rpm, I think this new RL must come close in accelleration times?

Here are the RL numbers:
    300 HP @6200 rpm and torque is 260 @ 5000rpm.

Weight for TL is 4001 lbs.
    Weight for DTS is 4047 lbs.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP!

http://www.acura.com/models/model_index.asp?module=rl

It's amazing what they are getting for HP out of a V6.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Why is horsepower down to 290?! I think 0-60 will go to the DeVille but it'll get close for the quarter mile. Beyond that has to go to the RL...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

I asked a Caddy dealer that same question about the HP and he said it might have to do with meeting emissions.

I wouldn't know how close to call these cars but with a sticker price matching a DTS and more technology to boot, they are sure trying to compete.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

that thing is ugly. i almost threw up when i saw it . and they want 70k? they have got to be kidding.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

That's 70k Canadian. Hideous car too.

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

With the Northstars 40 ft-lbs. better torque, it will be a better drag racer!

Bring on them Jap cars, my STS will shut em down!

Ormond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ex-Allante owner

Thumbs up Re: Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP!

I think the Acura is very impressive. There are no options, expect dealer installed extras (wood, gold trim, wheels), and the MSRP is $49,000. I didn't drive it, but the front seats are extremely comfortable and the dash is nicely finished. XM radio is standard, along with the navigation system that provides for real-time traffic reports in major cities. The system also transmits to your vehicle your service appointments and service bulletins for your review. The only area overlooked, that I know of, is the passenger seat. It does not have a height adjustment, and features 4-way power and power lumbar. I think that this car compares very well with the STS on price and features. Oh yeah, it is AWD to boot. Can you tell I like it?

I liked it too but I would have to drive it. I was wondering if anyone reading this might have taken one out for a test drive? I would love to hear some impressions, etc.

I noticed it was a lot wider than the TL, and overall seemed larger. I found my perfect seating position. That's true about the torque, it is down compared to Cadillac, but then the Northstars torque is down a bit too.

Many people feel that Acura is a poor man's Lexus, and I wonder if Acura could be truly considered a priemiere luxury car unless they get a V8 under the hood? As far as I know, Honda/Acura have never offered a V8, and if I'm not mistaken, the Pilot only has a large V6?

JimHare is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 01 Eldo ETC, 02 Deville SOLD!

Not sure that the absence of a V8 under the hood necessarily disqualifies you from "luxury car" status...Just ask most owners of XJ-6's...

lowscola is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): DeVille DHS

The 300Hp V6 should be more than enough, so the old RL not having a V8 isn't that significant as when the last gen had a ~227 HP V6. Other manufacturers should be worried that Acura will one day produce a V8.

Now if they could only work on the styling. It's seems like a very capable sedan but the styling is horrible for 50K. It looks like a big Accord. The styling is the only gripe I have about it.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I priced it out with the options I'd buy. It's $ 51,200.00 (USA).
    1. It's Ugly, looks like a honDUH
    2. It's overpriced.
    3. Lets not lose sight: It's a 6 Cyl Japanese small car.

I'll stick with my 2003 Town Car Limited Edition @ $40,000 and 215" long, 80" wide and room for 6 250 pounders, with a blouvard smooth, no wind whistles, luxury car ride. 5,500 miles & 18 months old, never been back for an adjustment, nor a "problem". Actually, I'd prefer the final year Catera Sport over that overpriced little Jap car.
    Ralph, I am surprised at you! Was it the Lunar Eclipse of last night ???
    or too much :drinker

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I like it A LOT. Nice design, powerful engine, good overall features. Waiting for the reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I priced it out with the options I'd buy. It's $ 51,200.00 (USA).
    1. It's Ugly, looks like a honDUH
    2. It's overpriced.
    3. Lets not lose sight: It's a 6 Cyl Japanese small car.

I'll stick with my 2003 Town Car Limited Edition @ $40,000 and 215" long, 80" wide and room for 6 250 pounders, with a blouvard smooth, no wind whistles, luxury car ride. 5,500 miles & 18 months old, never been back for an adjustment, nor a "problem". Actually, I'd prefer the final year Catera Sport over that overpriced little Jap car.
    Ralph, I am surprised at you! Was it the Lunar Eclipse of last night ???
    or too much :drinker
    I wouldn't call it small. It was a lot wider than the TL parked beside it in the showroom, and a little longer. The wheelbase is 2800 mm! Geez I hate the metric system! LOL! I just think it was a nice car but you really have to see one in person I suppose.

It's not like I would buy one over a NEW Caddy, especially if they are the same price.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I'll stick with my 2003 Town Car Limited Edition @ $40,000 and 215" long, 80" wide and room for 6 250 pounders, with a blouvard smooth, no wind whistles, luxury car ride. 5,500 miles & 18 months old, never been back for an adjustment, nor a "problem".
    Don't Jinx yourself Sandy

Ralph, have you been in the STS? Which interior did you like better? I think the RLs interior is nice looking(though I have only seen pictures). I think I would rather have the STS though. I dont like the back of the RL the front is okay. It does have really impresive AWD that can like send all the engines power to any one wheel if needed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.