Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP! in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by majax Don't Jinx yourself Sandy Ralph, have you been in the STS? Which interior did you like ...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP!

Quote Originally Posted by majax
    Don't Jinx yourself Sandy

Ralph, have you been in the STS? Which interior did you like better? I think the RLs interior is nice looking(though I have only seen pictures). I think I would rather have the STS though. I dont like the back of the RL the front is okay. It does have really impresive AWD that can like send all the engines power to any one wheel if needed.
    Well, I sat in a new black V6 STS in the showroom, but the only reason I didn't like the interior was because it was in black. I like lighter colors. The RL had a good sense of quality and seemed well laid out though.

Damn, I'm lovin' this new computer.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

HAHA cool dude, I guess your going to be on all night. Maybe I can stay up hahaha

Here is a good article on the RL, and an interior shot:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=183&n=157

"The RL's styling resembles a mini-Maybach..."

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I could've sworn it was a Grand Am from that angle.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

The styling of the Maybach is nothing to get all giddy about either...yuck....lol

I like the RL, as used car it would be nice....but like any other car I would never buy it new.....Acuras are known to loose value extremely fast.

Sandy, lets just hope Ford puts the new Hurricane in the Towncar.....Towncar+hurricane=370hpbeast

bmxbiker88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

im not worried about the Acura beating a caddy. :coolgleam

fast66 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

I would never buy an acura. maybe a lexus or an infiniti but never an acura.

Has anyone testdrove one yet??????

Impressions?

Ok, here is a good article and decent pics:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/pw/05rl.htm

The interior is looking more Cadillac, especially with real wood, etc.

Guinness4h2o is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Re: Northstar Vs. New RL with 300 HP!

Nothing beats the Northstar. I can't believe this is even up to commitee. There hasn't been an engine since it's introduction that has revolutionized the way automakers design their powerplants. It was the first ever production 32-valve V-8. Can you lose all the coolant out of that Honda V-6 and still get home without overheating? You can with the Northstar.

As for the loss in power, various modifications have been made to increase fuel economy and reliability. I don't know about you, but I'm fine with losing a few ponies to save some money on gas and maybe even shop time. If this were a sports car, we'd have some serious problems. The Northstar in the XLR still puts out 320 horses at the wheels. It's a different application.

The Northstar still consistently has the most power/fuel effciency ratio of any V-8 on the market. As far as engineering goes, this new Honda V-6 is excellent. It would appear that Honda has gotten the maximum out of the V-6. When they move up to a V-8 and start to steal the Northstar's thunder there, then we can talk. That's unlikely. Cadillac just keeps taking a good thing and making it better. There's no replacement for displacement my friends. The Northstar has a much flatter torque and power curve than this V-6. It's power is available across a boarder range of engine speeds. Not only that, but the larger displacement allows for lower RPM torque. Like I said, this is one hell of a V-6, but that's the problem. It's a V-6.

Cadillac...Breakthrough

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I think it's a hot looking car in person. Saw one in black the other day and it really looked good. The car is a lot for the money IMO, and the engine is no slouch either, with a 6.5sec. 0-60 time.

evilrussian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '83 SDV, '91 SDV

I'm not a huge fan of a new RL, didn't like the previous either. TL on the other hand is something I'd go for, if I had the money. As far as Honda engines go, I'd say that a V6 actually feels like a V8, '03 TL Type S can do a quarter in mid 14s, that's with a 3.2L 260HP 6 cylinder.

I think that Acura just doesn't have a need to build a V8. If they did they would have done so already. They simply continue to impress people with amazing technology, quality craftsmanship and some of the best driving experience IMO. Hey, I used to be a Honda basher too, until I bought one and realized that there are many reasons people like those cars.

I'm still suprised no one here has test drove one to talk about any comparison with a Caddy, including MYSELF!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Its about as exciting as a toaster. Although, my toaster is kind of exciting. Its a GE "digital" toaster with a special bagel mode.

Jesda's Toaster: 1
    New Acura RL: 0

90Brougham350 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)

Honda / Acura will never build a V8, because that's not what driving a Honda is all about. Honda has always been about frugal quality, not about building to compete. I'm not a Honda vehicle fan by any means, but they make a darn good 2 horse trimmer, but with their current president, who feels that "fullsize American trucks are wastefully large" or something like that, can't remember the exact quote, Honda has no reason to build a V8. When do you except to see a Honda / Acura in the same class as say, a 7-series BMW, Lexus LS, or Honda ever building full-size pickups? I don't, at least not for a long time, which is why the Northstar will continue to reign. I don't need to re-list all the advantages the Northstar has, we all know it's a marvelous engine, but there's something that can never be re-stated too many times, there's no replacement for displacement. That's why I love Chevy Big Blocks!

Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.