Chrysler 300 SRT-8 VS 2005 STS
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Chrysler 300 SRT-8 VS 2005 STS in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Any thoughts from anyone? I think I'd go with the 300 , all the same features alot more power and ...
    RealmCenter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Chrysler 300 SRT-8 VS 2005 STS

Any thoughts from anyone? I think I'd go with the 300 , all the same features alot more power and for less money. And nothing to do with the fact the new STS looks like a big CTS, much the same way the new XJ8 looks like a big X-Type
    Darren
    '97 STS
    '86 IROC-Z
    '02 Town&Country

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: Chrysler 300 SRT-8 VS 2005 STS

the SRT-8 is the performance version (if you will) of the 300C rated @425. a standard v-8 STS is rated @320 hp. wait until the STS-V comes out and then see which one kicks ass...they will be rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 430 hp...supercharged.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I am probably going to sell my 2003 Town Car & get a SRT-8. Only thing I don't like is it's only going tocome in either Black OR Silver. (BLAH) I want a white one with chromed rims, and very slight tint on side windows.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

If you're going to drop $40k+ on a new car you can have it painted.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    I am probably going to sell my 2003 Town Car & get a SRT-8. Only thing I don't like is it's only going tocome in either Black OR Silver. (BLAH) I want a white one with chromed rims, and very slight tint on side windows.
    I've noticed that. Time was when red was also considered one of the "performance colors" but times change I guess. Chrysler is just following in the footsteps of the CTS-V.

RealmCenter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The problem is, the SRT-8 and the STS V-6 are more closey priced, even the base STS V-8 is more, let alone the STS-V. So comparing the SRT-8 to the STS-V isn't exactly fair. That's why I was just going off the STS V-8
    Darren

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=23977

this is why caddy may be more expensive...quality counts folks!

inkwell is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thought you might want to hear from someone who actually owns a 300C. Had it 9 weeks now. Love it. I originally went looking at the cadillacs. The price tag on the XLR made me gag, the manual tranny on the CTS-V made me pass. The price of the seville makes it an unfair contrast with the 300C and probably with the SRT-8 as well. I have not seen,driven or considered a seville so I am not responding to the narrow comparison of this thread but thought I would post anyway in case anyone could use the info and feedback I had to offer. I currently have a deposit down on the first black SRT-8 (would really prefer the "cool vanilla" of my current 300C but wont take a silver one) to arrive at my dealer, sight unseen. So needless to say I am pleased with my current 300C. Fit and finish are a notch above previous chrysler offerings. Style is subjective but this car has gotten me more attention than anything since my '87 Grand National. It is a hard car to get used to as sight lines stink and it just seems much bigger than it actually is, tho it is large. Power is respectable in the launch for a 4100 pound car, but its "passing gear", midrange power is excellent and top end never seems to peter out. If driving without looking at the speedometer, it seems to settle in most comfortably at 80, much like autobahn sedans from BMW and Mercedes. The road feel is somewhere between the traditional caddy/Lincoln sitting on a couch at home feel and the road feel of the mercedes/BMW. I like the ride and usually have not liked the ride of the german sedans. Comfort is top notch. Only other comment I would make is that the "quality" poll reflects a chrysler that is only starting to feel the effect of the Mercedes side of the company. Mercedes has a hard enough road keeping their rep and quality while introducing its own line of less expensive models but Chrysler has taken a huge step forward with the three Mercedes inspired models. Fit and finish improvements in the Pacifica, Crossfire and 300 are promising for a company I still remember more for the shoddy K cars than the old 426 hemi. Only time will tell if the long haul will prove the promise. Anyone who has any specific questions can email me and I will try and respond promptly.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Quality was mentioned. Have you seen all the problems mentioned on the CTS forum here? Seems like everyone who has one is having many problems with them.

I see YOU also WANT a "Cool Vanilla" {White} one, as do I. I'd also go for other colors as well, if they were available. (Repainting a brand new car is not an option) ~ That popular Silver-Green I'd get, or a bright red (Corvette Red) or even a Pearl White. Black is too hard to keep clean, for me. Always dusty. I'd have to go with the silver, or wait for the 2nd year & hope for more colors.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

Maybe after a couple years they'll start giving people more colours to choose from. I like the cream coloured 300Cs too. I don't like the way silver or black look on them at all.

DGUT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    the SRT-8 is the performance version (if you will) of the 300C rated @425. a standard v-8 STS is rated @320 hp. wait until the STS-V comes out and then see which one kicks ass...they will be rated somewhere in the neighborhood of 430 hp...supercharged.

The 300c for just over $40,000 you get 320hp @5000rpm & 390pf of torque @4000rpm (for the standard Hemi). AND all wheel drive if you want it (with better gas mileage than my Eldorado). The STS is over $65,000 for a non supercharged version. The SRT-8 is 6.1 liter Hemi. I can put one hell of a big supercharger on a 300c for $25 or $30 k. My next automobile will probably be a 300c.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

"Have you seen all the problems mentioned on the CTS forum here?"

I will check that one out.

A lot of us agree that your going to find people posting about problems on the net then just simple 'my car is fine.' I have seen a couple or more posts in the CTS forum praising their cars.

It is kinda weird that a $40,000 has more power than a $60,000 one. The reasons are the 300c puts all its money into the drivetrain and not so much into the car itself. There is more expensive materials and engineering in the STS. Higher quality performance and handleing in the STS.

300c V8 Hemi ($30,000)
    Horsepower @ RPM340@5000 Torque @ RPM390@4000
    17/25 mpg or 17/24 for AWD

STS V8 Northstar (50,000)
    Horsepower @ RPM320@6400 Torque @ RPM315@4400
    17/26 no AWD mpg.

So it is evident that the 300c has more hp and equalish mpg to teh STS. They weigh very similar. So the 300 has a bit more power but it does not like I said earlier the overall quality of a 50,000 car like the STS. I think I best put it as the STS asses its competition very well and the 300 is not its competiton. If you put the STS up to a 5 series or A6 you have a close call. If you put any of those three against the 300c you will se the 300 has more power and blah blah blah and a better value. All the 300c to me is some decent car that got a good engine thrown into it. No Tuscany leather or milan carpet. If you just want a major entry level luxo car with power then there you have it. Stop comparing it to Cadillacs esp the STS they are not in the same market. If you want to compare compare to the CTS. Ever get inot a Cadillac and have fun playin with all the gadgets and hidden compartments. Thats not in a Chrysler.

The headrests in the 300c look bad to.

we need crash tests for this thing now.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

You have to be to think one of these looks like the other entirely. All car manufacturers have their look. All BMWs share looks. All Chryslers share looks!

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I went and looked at the 300 when it came out, sat inside, felt all the materials.

Compared to my 12 year old Infiniti Q45 with 192,000 miles, the Chrysler was like a giant tupperware bin. The grain on the dash looked like it came out of an old Dodge Dakota, the leather felt like someone stretched a chewed up piece of bubble gum over some foam, and the carpeting was identical in feel to my brother's 1983 Toyota Tercel. Everything inside felt cheap and insubstantial.

I wouldnt doubt its driving dynamics and looks, but inside it was crap. The cost cutting glaringly obvious.

The Kia dealer was nearby, and I took a look at the new Amanti. To my surprise, the Kia's body panels were tighter, interior materials were a big step up, and overall fit and finish was superb. Of course, the Amanti is hideous to look at and probably drives like an old Buick.

My next luxury car will be a CTS, G35, or M45.

-Jesda

JoeKr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT

One difference must be the handling. I test drove the 300C and the CTS before purchasing. What I was looking for was a "sport sedan". A stiff suspension was a requirement. Though, the 300C has the great engine, it's ride - though competent for a sedan that size - was not comparable to the CTS.

So, everyone talks about power to weight ratio, accelaration.... what about the other things that make driving fun or pedestrian..... body roll, slalom times, etc....

JoeKr

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.