Honda Cadillac challenge - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Honda Cadillac challenge in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Sorry but there is no way a s2000 could even give a CTS-V a race in any situation. Those s2000 ...
    STi-Vs-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Honda Cadillac challenge

Sorry but there is no way a s2000 could even give a CTS-V a race in any situation. Those s2000 are way over rated. Though it is fun watching my wife try to race me in the V vs. my STi. Thats just a no contest!!!

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

why are we even comparing honda to cadillac??? there is more to a car than how fast it goes. :rolleyes2

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

The only reason the speed/handling thing came into being is that it's the only thing Honda has going for it, well not really going for it, but it's the only comparison to be made.

Guinness4h2o is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Post Re: Honda Cadillac challenge

This may in fact be the most sophmoronic debate in the history of automobiles. However I accept the challenge of trying to make some sense out of it. Cadillac is, and always will be, the most comfortable automobile for your money. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. If you want to go fast, get a Corvette or a Porsche. Besides, I find that fast cars are a waste of time and money. If you're important enough, people will wait.

"Speeding don't bring nothin' but accidents and tickets"-Micheal Vick, Dub Magazine.

Don't try to impress me with numbers and stats of an S2000. It's a Honda. That's all it'll ever be. What I, and many of the other people on this forum, want is comfort. The Northstar V-8 is the greatest internal combustion engine on the planet right now. It delivers the optimium power and torque for the vehicles it's applied to, as well as excellent gallonage (talk to me about mileage vs. gallonage sometime) for the size and weight of vehicle it moves.

For those of you that would be inclined to pass a Cadillac off as unreliable, think of this. My Coupe deVille is twenty-five years old, with 125,000 miles on it. I'd like you to call me when your Honda turns 25 and let me know how the old girl is doing.

Hondas have no history, no attitude. Think about how many songs that you've heard Cadillacs mentioned. These cars have been there through everything. How many times have you heard about a Honda in a song? A Cadillac's history alone is worth its weight in gold...

1905-1st fully closed body
    1908-Dewar Trophy, 1st car w/interchangable parts
    1909-1st stnd closed body
    1912-1st self-starter
    1915-1st mass-produced V8
    1929-Synchro-Mesh transmission, eliminating gear clash, 1st to offer security glass stnd
    1930-1st V16
    1934-1st ind front suspension
    1940-1st automatic trans
    1954-1st power steering stnd
    1957-1st quad headlamps, 6-way power seats w/memory, auto door locks, air suspension
    1964-Industry 1st climate control
    1965-Automatic load leveling steering
    1969-1st closed cooling system
    1978-1st digital engine management
    1980-1st microprocessor to control ignition, fuel injection and vehicle diagnostics
    1992-1st 32-valve V8
    1997-OnStar
    1998-Adaptive Seating
    1999-Night vision
    2004-Electro-magnetic adaptive suspension
    2005-1st car w/Dolby 5.1 Surround sound

Cadillac...Break Through

Gallonage vs mileage... well mileage means miles per gallon, gallonage is a word you made up that seems to serve no purpose.

danbuc is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '87 Jeep, '10 Thruxton, '00 Duc 748, '01 748R (853cc)

You know the Geo metro had 11.5:1 compression ratio in that dinky little three cylinder it had.

I have seen first hand what happens to an S2000 when the driver doen't know what he's doing. There was a guy a my school who brought his in for a day, and he almost ended up in a ditch exiting the parking lot. I haven't seen the car since.

I think the fact that the S2000 redlines at about 9000rpm says something. You might as well be riding a motorcycle. The car really isn't very practical for street use. It's really belongs on the track where you can keep a relativley constant rpm level between gears. You can't do that on a road with traffic lights. Plus, if you wanted it to be fast all of the time, you would end up beating the living hell out of the car. The high revving V-TEC engines that those cars use, cannot be pounded on like that all of the time. My northstar on the other hand can take it. I can spend my whole day just flooring it from light to light. I'll need a new set of tires, before I'll need a new engine.

My friend has an Integra GS-R which redlines at 8000rpm. I've never seen anyone leave a traffic light so slowly in my life, than this guy in his integra. When I asked him why he shifts so slowly, he quickly replied, "Cause I don't want to beat the s**t out of my car, OKAY!". That says it all. They are great for short, but sweet runs around town. Not very practical at all.

You also have to remember, that if you drove a golf car into it by accident, you insurance would probably have to total it. It may be fun, and it may be fast, but it's certainly not safe. It wasn't designed to be a safe car in the first place though. Just look at the miata. You could die in that thing if a bike messenger ran into you.

It's all about what the car was built for. The S2000, in a sence it the peppy little Jaguar of the late fifties and early sixties against the classic american muscle. It's the small, light, and powerful car, that is competitively priced amd very unsafe. Thats what it was deigned for.

I agree that Honda in no way could ever be coompared to Cadillac. I wouldn't count Acura either. Until they can build a car like the 1995 Twin Turbo Supra, the Skyline GT-R, or any of thse great import sports cars, they will always be a ricer. Plane and simple. Oh yeah, the NSX doesn't count cause that thing is a POS.

All in all, I think the S2000 is more closely compared with cars such as the Neon SRT-4, the Saturn Ion Redline, and even the new Cobalt. That's the type of car it has to comptete with, not a Cadillac. I'd like to see someone in an S2000 race the new STS-V. That would make for quite a show

evilrussian is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '83 SDV, '91 SDV

Lol, I've got best of both worlds. I have my reliable, economical Acura for everyday street driving and my gas-guzzlin', tire-shreddin' big ass boat Caddy for weekends! Damn, I got it made

Hells Yeah! Now all you need is a big truck to drive off road.

Angry Re: Honda Cadillac challenge

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Gallonage vs mileage... well mileage means miles per gallon, gallonage is a word you made up that seems to serve no purpose.
    First off, I'd like to thank "davesdeville" for giving me the chance to explain this sadly ignorant misconception, as well as setting himself up for utter intellectual disaster. Second, I'd like to tell everyone to read this entire post before replying, as I can embarass you as well.

Since 1978, the EPA has measured mileage in the lab. Yet most true car guys will say those EPA city and highway numbers are totally bogus when compared to what customers will actually see. The city route simulates a 7.5 mile stop-and-go trip with an average speed of 20mph at a temperature of 75 degrees Fahrenheit. The EPA actually drops this figure by 10% to make their measurement realistic to actual numbers. However, your mileage will be different. Your trip may be shorter, your outside temperature may be higher or lower, maybe you accelerate or brake harder than the test pace, and maybe you're stopped longer in traffic, etc... To give an idea of how these factors may effect you actual mileage, just a change in trip length can change your number 10 to 15 percent. For exceptionally fuel efficient vehicles, cooling loads are high compared to those of propelling the car. They suffer larger drag on fuel consumption in higher temperatures. At 85-95 degrees, the smaller engine vehicles could lose maybe 20-25% fuel economy(that means our big Cadillacs can actually get better gas mileage than Hondas if the conditions are right). Mileage is a dream. It's lab results. They don't hold true in the real world.

There's also another illusion in mpg numbers. If you drive one of those big 500ci(8.2L) V-8 engines as those seen in the Eldorados of the mid-70's, your might be rated at 10 mpg by EPA standards. Now if in real life you only get 9 mpg you can shrug it off by saying "That's only 1 mpg". If you drive a hybrid that drops the same 10% to 45, you complain of bad mileage. Where gallonage comes in is that the mileage statistic tricks you into thinking how far you can get rather than how much fuel you actually burn. When the hybrid drops to 45-mpg instead of the listed 50, a 100-mile trip consumes less than a quarter of a gallon more than expected. Compare that to the Eldorado that got 9 mpg instead of 10, it's 100-mile trip burns 1.1 more gallons.

If the EPA started rated fuel economy in gallons consumed over 100 miles of travel, as the Canadians and Europeans do (see, I didn't make the word up, it does serve a purpose. I'm also aware they would use litres consumed over 100 kilometers, so don't try to be smart by calling me out on that either), everyone could see that 11 gallons per 100 miles of travel for the Eldorado is a big deal next to the 2.2 gallons used by the hybrid. That's gallonage for you.

Thank you for trying to act smart Dave, but now you should go and hide from the people in this forum who will no doubt laugh at you.

This knowledge proudly brought to you by a sophomore in mechanical engineering at RPI in Troy, NY.

Cadillac...Breakthrough

Thumbs down Re: Honda Cadillac challenge

So it's mileage stated in terms of gallons per mile. It doesn't embarass me when you claim to have all the answers and spit out the same data in a differant format. :rolleyes2

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness4h2o
    If the EPA started rated fuel economy in gallons consumed over 100 miles of travel, as the Canadians and Europeans do (see, I didn't make the word up, it does serve a purpose. I'm also aware they would use litres consumed over 100 kilometers
    What do you mean by we "would use?" Our rating system, as far as I know and have seen on every new car, uses litres per 100 kms. Unless you are referring to some sort of laboratory testing that the general public is not aware of?

No need to be a wise ass either, feel free to share your info but we are not here to spite others in the quest to feel superior in some way or start a flame war because we have some knowledge on somebody.

p.s. Since you're into bragging, I've got a Psychology Degree, want to try to outwit me?

Go ahead, lecture me on the Canadian system of measurement, but lighten up a bit.

The way you word your sentences, the measurement could go either way! Just state one or the other.

I can't believe this stupid thread is still active. It was supposed to be about Honda.

Talking Re: Honda Cadillac challenge

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    So it's mileage stated in terms of gallons per mile. It doesn't embarass me when you claim to have all the answers and spit out the same data in a differant format. :rolleyes2
    It's not the same data in a different format. It's not even close to the same data. Like I tried to explain, mileage is a sick dream invented by the EPA. It does not apply to actual driving. Mileage doesn't factor in so many things that I don't even have time to list. For example, the fuel burned to heat the engine is fuel that doesn't take you any miles. Look, if you measure with gallonage, you have one engine warm-up over 100 miles, instead of one per 7.5 miles on the EPA cycle.

Gallonage is a much more accurate measurement of fuel efficiency. It's not mileage stated in terms of gallons per mile. It's how many gallons an engine burns over a 100 mile trip. As one gear head to another, I think people need to stop regurgitating what has been taught to them by ages of backwards thinking and think for ourselves for once. Do your own research, maybe I'll see you in Detroit someday.

The comments about embarassment were all made in jest, I just wanted to make sure I'd get a reply from you.

Cadillac...Breakthrough

The ***liters/100kilometers is an excellent point. If I switch to the MPG instant on my DIC and then switch to metric, thats exactly what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    What do you mean by we "would use?" Our rating system, as far as I know and have seen on every new car, uses litres per 100 kms. Unless you are referring to some sort of laboratory testing that the general public is not aware of?

No need to be a wise ass either, feel free to share your info but we are not here to spite others in the quest to feel superior in some way or start a flame war because we have some knowledge on somebody.

p.s. Since you're into bragging, I've got a Psychology, want to try to outwit me?

Go ahead, lecture me on the Canadian system of measurement, but lighten up a bit.

The way you word your sentences, the measurement could go either way! Just state one or the other.

I can't believe this stupid thread is still active.
    "Litres consumed over 100Km" is the same thing as saying litres per 100 Km.

Writing my reply in a "smart ass" manner was just my way of making sure I'd get a response.

What was I bragging about?

What does psychology have to do with systems of measuring fuel efficiency?

You spent at least $100,000 on an education you could have got for about $900 ordering books on amazon.com.

Where I go to school, psychology courses are the ones we take when we want to take an easy break from engineering. Half my classmates will have minors in psychology. Just think about applying for a job...major in chemical engineering, minor in pysch. The employer would just be thinking "What do you do?"

I'm just joking with you, your profession is a difficult and much needed one. Sorry you read me wrong.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Guinness4h2o
    If the EPA started rated fuel economy in gallons consumed over 100 miles of travel, as the Canadians and Europeans do
    I am well aware that litres CONSUMED over 100 kms is the same thing as litres per 100 kms. but the statement in question is the one I am quoting, and I believe it to be false.

It clearly states that Canadians use the measurement of gallons and miles, which is false to the best of my knowledge, as you know, we use litres and kms. That's what I'm discussing because your statement is in absolution.

I see now that you meant no disrespect to Dave, and the way you worded that, one might "think" that you liked labelling people as "ignorant" and prefer to "embarass" others from your post #24 in an attempt to feel superior. I would simply advise you to be more careful in the future.

When I was in Psychology classes, I would often work on my car and figure out my mileage to relax. Like I said, lighten up sparky.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.