SL55 AMG Versus V...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, SL55 AMG Versus V... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; First of all I know the SL55 is faster than the V but I had to see how much faster... ...
    Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Cool SL55 AMG Versus V...

First of all I know the SL55 is faster than the V but I had to see how much faster... The SL looked great, it was eigther new or it had just been detailed and the top was down. The guy driving it was eigther in a rush, excited with the new car or just an agressive driver so I knew he'd go if I provoked him a bit . So I race past him in 3rd to get his attention and maybe 10 seconds later I see him nail it from about 70 - 100 ft. behind me. I was in 4th AC was off and downshifted to 3rd (approx. 5500rpm). I can tell that he's gaining real fast by the time I shift into 4th (nailed it by the way) and lets just say I didn't pull on him like the M3, in fact he started to steam on by at about 90 - 100mph but alas another car was in his way. I was going to get a serious beat down, which I expected and this was from a roll... forget about off the line .

OTHER info: AC was off, it was 60 degrees F, and I had a bit more than 3/4 of a tank of gas and two golf bags in the trunk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cts-vette is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: SL55 AMG Versus V...

The important point and moral of the story is YOU HAD FUN!

So what he would have been crawling up you @$$, his car did not sound better, did not feel better, MAY have looked better (but i doubt it)

Lets just say the V ROCKS!

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

a supercharged sl55 puts down 469 hp. according to motor trend, they are about a full second faster on the quarter mile than the V, and only 6-7 tenths faster to 60. if you can attain factory acceleration (4.6 0-60, 13.0 1/4), then the V will be much closer, but still fall short by about a half second. that said, any supercharged vehicle putting down that much power is going to pull pretty well.

now if you put a "modest" blower on your V...

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Is anyone planning on SC their V with a roots type or ATI style blower?

I just wanted to add that the SL55's exhaust could have been modified. While I was behind him at the light I could clearly hear his exhaust burbling?

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

That's how the AMGs sound my biz partner almost pulled the trigger on an E55 and I test drove the CL55. You can definitely feel the power at throttle and the thing gets going FAST (the E55 and SL55 are the 2 fastest 55-series AMGs, no idea whether the 65s are faster) in no time at all. E55 and SL55 should be running 11s with no modifications. A pulley and some other work (chip I guess?) and they cruise. But yeah they would get eaten on a road course with tight turns. Only reason I would consider the E55 is because the V doesn't yet come in SMG. The interior fit & finish on the CL55 I drove was very nice, and the E500 was nice as well.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    a supercharged sl55 puts down 469 hp. according to motor trend
    According to my 2005 AMG brochure, the SL 55 has 493 hp, 516 lb-ft of torque and does 0-60 in 4.5 secs.

The E 55 is the one with 469 hp, also with 516 for torque and also 4.5 to 60 mph

SL 65 is the beast. Twin rurbo V12 604 hp, 738 torque and 0-60 in 4.2 secs.

bryce3 is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

Like Ralph said the 65 is the one you have to look out for. If you search it on the Motor Trend web site you can find all the info these cars. The E55 runs a 12.69 1/4 mile and the SL55 only runs a 13.0 flat. A slightly modified V could run with either of these two but I thought I saw the 65 run int 11's???
    -Sean

NIK
    NIK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V

Now the question must be asked - how much do the 55 & 65 cost?

V-Beach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 2008 E63 2008 GL550

Quote Originally Posted by NIK
    Now the question must be asked - how much do the 55 & 65 cost?
    As the old saying goes " if you have to ask....."

NIK
    NIK is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '99 De Ville, '05 CTS-V

Exclamation Re: SL55 AMG Versus V...

Respectfully, you're missing my point - they have to be 20K to 30K more than a V, right? Can you imagine what that amount of money would do to a V (if put into mods?)

Cal

$85k for an E55 with the same equipment as the V. Starts at 79.9k I believe.

SL55 is into the $120-130k range if I'm not mistaken. It STARTS at 122k, and that is without xenon etc, as all benzes are. SL65 is a whopping 180k MSRP. CL65 is 1k cheaper.

From the E55 boards stock cars run in the high 11s often. Not sure why MT is unable to match owner times on a stock car, who knows. The cars have a lot of power and can put it to the ground in a straight line very effectively.

But a V with a 447ci and a blower would still be barely cheaper than an E55, and would basically smoke anything on the road other than 447ci blown Z06s.

V-Beach is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V 2008 E63 2008 GL550

Quote Originally Posted by NIK
    Respectfully, you're missing my point - they have to be 20K to 30K more than a V, right? Can you imagine what that amount of money would do to a V (if put into mods?)
    So now you have an $80,000 Cadillac and no warranty, the fastest thing about that car will be the depreciation. Somehow in my book that's a poor comparison to an E55, but hey, I guess I missed your point.

The Benz accomplishes what a modded V does without voiding any warranties and without knowing how to turn a wrench. (good for us guy's that are mechanically challanged and I know I'm not the only one here) Yeah, it costs 80 grand, but for a stock 4 door 11 second car that's the going rate.

Cal

Agreed, the V would end up costing you more money in the long run, your ROI would be meager at best. E55s retain value very well.

All depends if you just want ridiculous speed with or without good handling and that nice american torque.

etcCanuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Spend 60k or more on a car and depreciation is gonna kick your a$$ no matter what the car....

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by etcCanuck
    Spend 60k or more on a car and depreciation is gonna kick your a$$ no matter what the car....
    unless you are fortunate enough to purchase a f50/enzo... the price goes up instead of down

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.