SL55 AMG Versus V... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, SL55 AMG Versus V... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Ralph According to my 2005 AMG brochure, the SL 55 has 493 hp, 516 lb-ft of torque ...
    illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

Re: SL55 AMG Versus V...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    According to my 2005 AMG brochure, the SL 55 has 493 hp, 516 lb-ft of torque and does 0-60 in 4.5 secs.

The E 55 is the one with 469 hp, also with 516 for torque and also 4.5 to 60 mph

SL 65 is the beast. Twin rurbo V12 604 hp, 738 torque and 0-60 in 4.2 secs.

that should be for the new SL 55 amg...i was going by the 2004 motor trend that was covering the 02' SL 55 .

still a freak of a car though.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by illumina
    still a freak of a car though.
    True, until it breaks down and they charge about 5 times more for parts over a Cadillac. I've posted good links on that.

etcCanuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Modern Cadillac parts are no cheaper than Merc parts.... AND mechanics dont want to work on either car....

Quote Originally Posted by etcCanuck
    Modern Cadillac parts are no cheaper than Merc parts.... AND mechanics dont want to work on either car....
    Really, the last time I checked GM didn't charge $3550 for 2 cat converters! $1500 each (U.S.Currency)

p.s. "Merc" is MERCURY. MB, Benz or Mercedes is MERCEDES BENZ.

CLICK ML class and go 4 down:enjoy!

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/mlclass.php

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

p.s. "Merc" is MERCURY, MB, Benz or Mercedes is MERCEDES BENZ.

It's funny you'd say that because I was thinking the same thing when I originally posted (almost called it a Merc SL55). Someone should put a MERCury racing 1075hp big block in their V .
    http://www.mercurymarine.com/1075sci

This is also partially unrelated to this thread: I saw a Lotus Elise in light Blue this afternoon in Newtown Sq, PA. And back in late June the porsche dealer across the street got a black Carrera GT. It's bar far the coolest sounding car I've ever heard in person (I have pictures on my cell phone that I'll try to post). It was shipped to Colorado in an all black extended trailer that looked like a landscaping equipment trailer. My brother looked inside and an Aston Martin and Laborghini were there as well. Yes, the guy who drove into the trailer stalled a few times .

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks

It's funny you'd say that because I was thinking the same thing when I originally posted (almost called it a Merc SL55)

I know what you mean, and it just doesn't sound right. Some guys were calling the Fleetwoods FWD's which was confusing because it could also mean front wheel drive. We straightened them out.

I don't get to this section too often but I was wondering, is there any talk of offering the CTS-V with an automatic transmission in the future? I was curious because the Corvette ZO6 can be had with your choice, why can't they offer it for a luxury car? I think all the MB's have automatics.

PneuBird is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Automatic in a "V"...........Heaven Forbid.......The Horror!!

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

I know what you mean, and it just doesn't sound right. Some guys were calling the Fleetwoods FWD's which was confusing because it could also mean front wheel drive. We straightened them out.

I don't get to this section too often but I was wondering, is there any talk of offering the CTS-V with an automatic transmission in the future? I was curious because the Corvette ZO6 can be had with your choice, why can't they offer it for a luxury car? I think all the MB's have automatics.
    Corvette Z06s are not available with a slushbox.

If must have an auto, buy a STS-V.

Cal
    Cal is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Despite what people are saying the V needs an SMG. The M3 sells well because it has that option, and even though it's a poor substitute for a manual in most opinions, in my experience it's bearable at least and very fast at best.

And from my experience so far Cadillac parts are very reasonable for the V and service is not outrageous.

Really, the last time I checked GM didn't charge $3550 for 2 cat converters! $1500 each (U.S.Currency)

p.s. "Merc" is MERCURY. MB, Benz or Mercedes is MERCEDES BENZ.

CLICK ML class and go 4 down:enjoy!

http://www.mercedes-benz-usa.com/mlclass.php
    No, but how about $5000 to change a headgasket (timeserts are extra and no guarantee that it will be good), or $250 for a remote keyless transmitter ($40 for a buick), or $285 for sparkplugs and wires, or $85 for a kit to put your rain-sensor back on. GM does have cheaper parts on average than Mercedes-Benz, but unfortunatly they dont use these low cost parts in Cadillacs. (All Canadian Currency)

PS If you go to a Mercedes forum you will find that many people call them Mercs, and these days it seems there are more mercedes on the road than mercury anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by etcCanuck
    and these days it seems there are more mercedes on the road than mercury anyway...
    Not in Saskatchewan, all I see are those '89-99 Grand Marquis and maybe a couple of MB's a month. Remember, you live in a rich Province because your Provincial govt. lets the wealth trickle down the taxpayer in the form of reduced taxes, grants to build, etc. We have enough natural resources here but the NDP are crooks and make many bad investiments that the taxpayers have to bail them out all the time! Therefore increased taxes=less expensive cars!

I know that Cadillacs cost more for parts and service than a Pontiac or Chev, etc. In fact, they even advertize in the paper for our dealership that "Cadillacs and Vans extra." (for tune ups) However, I think if you check around, Cadillac parts are a bit cheaper than the upscale European parts. Labour is high for anything nowadays.

Not in Saskatchewan, all I see are those '89-99 Grand Marquis and maybe a couple of MB's a month. Remember, you live in a rich Province because your Provincial govt. lets the wealth trickle down the taxpayer in the form of reduced taxes, grants to build, etc. We have enough natural resources here but the NDP are crooks and make many bad investiments that the taxpayers have to bail them out all the time! Therefore increased taxes=less expensive cars!

I know that Cadillacs cost more for parts and service than a Pontiac or Chev, etc. In fact, they even advertize in the paper for our dealership that "Cadillacs and Vans extra." (for tune ups) However, I think if you check around, Cadillac parts are a bit cheaper than the upscale European parts. Labour is high for anything nowadays.

There are definatly more MB than Grand Marquis around here, The ones that are here usually have Saskachewan plates on them. As far as parts go I agree that the Cadillac parts are a bit less pricey than MB, but not signifigant enough to make the Caddy more attractive on a service stand-point. (Even though there is a GM dealership in every $hit town, yet most of the "technicians" dont want touch it)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.