60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Sandy , I know your lurking ..... We all know a little about the 60s era caddys Only a few ...
    Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons

Sandy , I know your lurking .....

We all know a little about the 60s era caddys

Only a few of us have seen chryslers awnser as the imperial

Only reason i started this is i got to thinking about a White mid 60s Imperial Lebron i alomst bought for 200 bucks a couple years ago, and there wasnt nothing wrong with it except it was in a junkyard (dont know why it was there)

The car was very interesting , even down to the headlamps which were encased in behind glass that looked like it had a defroster element in it .And of coarse some huge mopar engine to propel what looked like 25 feet of 1/2 inch thick steel.... Seeing this car started my thing for big american cars ....

So how do they compare featurewise ? Price ? Price now ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Re: 60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons

New, the Imperials always had more features than the comparable Cadillacs. They were also more expensive. Today, there are many Imperial clubs (I founded one - left it, then re-joined. At one time (single) I owned 6 Imperials.
    I recently found one long lost on the web, in Osolo Norway!! Still a trophy winner, looking great! ('68 Convertible).
    I don't know what else to tell you, so ask. I wrote a book on Imperials, that was published, and for which I won the very respected "Golden Quill Award" for Automotive Journalism. My family owned & drove Imperials exclusively, from 1957 until 1978, we got a new one every single year. There were beginning in 1970 always 3 Imperials in our driveway, Dad's Mom's and mine.
    We never had a "bad" one. Many modern day automotive inventions were first on an Imperial !
    Swevel Seats on the 1973 GM intermediates first on Imperial in 1958.
    First Auto Dimming Mirror on Imperial
    First Treansistorized ignition on Imperial
    First Headlamp washers & wipers on Imperial
    First Tubeless tires on Imperial
    First No Tube Radio on Imperial
    First Platinum Tipped Spark Plugs on Imperial
    First 8-Track
    First Cassette
    First (and only) in car Cassette Recorder!

Only car to ever have the Federal US Government access a jewerly tax on a car, as their emblems were so finely minted, the US Govt. declaired them to be Jewels, and not emblems.

In 1958, the Queen of England came to America on a visit. The then President (I think Ike) asked her what she'd like to take home with her from America, and she said, "An Imperial" and he gave here an Imperial Limousine.
    and on and on and on. List I have list 81 firsts.

People who are into them (warning here) are HARD CORE to the bone. I am different. I appreciate all cars, love all cars (especially AMERICAN ones) !

PS: The Imperial you speak of - from your description is a 1964. Did you notice the "eliptical" Steering wheel, semi square (or flat) at the bottom ??
    http://www.imperialclub.com
    Here, First:-
    http://www.imperialclub.com/Articles/74-75WPC/index.htm

YES ! it had one of the most unsusal steering wheels i ever saw , really it was one of the most unususal luxo type cars i had seen (this includes a coulpe rolls royces ive worked on over the years) ...maybe if i find another it could be my next project ....

i guess some in the 50s had hemi engines from the 300 cars?

i need to look for that book of yours , as my american car history book(s) doesnt give good covnerage of these cars and i hardly ever get a chance to look at any of them (outside the gastly k car based versions)

By the way , what do you imperial folks think of those early 90s imperials ? seemed to much like a dodge dynasty for me

how are they doing nowadays on values ? are they worht more than a similar era caddy ...ie investment standpoint ?

We think that it was an utter disgrace of the name. Only a few of the people in the club own them, and even they say that that only bought them out of a token gerture to the glory days!

I sent you a portion of the book. It's out of print, now.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

This is one i considered buying, only about 2 miles from my house. Its a 67.

1967 Crown Sedan in Consort Blue Metallic. Probably with dark blue cloth upholstery.

Make sure she is not burning any oil, and the engine is quiet & smooth. She'll probably need shocks. The steering radais is very w-i-d-e. You may NOT like that. Drive it a bit to see if you can live with it. Don't 'ya luv those taillamps ??? I had the same car in a convertible, in light green. 10 MPG ya know. 440 4-bbl. & Torqueflite Tranny.

Just got done with the links , good writeup on that dude !

Not knowing much about cars from the 70s (outside corvette) i thought nothing at that time had any advanced feature (corvette never did much) and that only cadillac in the eldo had techno advanced cars ...

pretty interesting cars , all the way thru the '75 death sentace

Owners tend to be fanatics (I am, but not to the extent of some!!) and also unbelieveably knowledgable. The National Imperial Meet of 2001 was only 17 miles from me. I went. It was awesome! Would you believe 400 + Imperials? From as far away as Oregon (I am in New Jersey). Several cars boat-shipped from Norway and 1 from England! Did I say fanatic? It tokk us (me & the wife) 2 days to see it all. Washington D.C. sent Eisenhower's Imperial and Frank Sinatra's was there along with Singer Jack Jone's Imp. The Shriner's Org. was out in full force (Imperial is their "official" car). Quite a time. (I went in my Caddy as I no longer have even 1 Imp. Meetings, seminares, films, old commercials, a formal dinner/dance, a band, a magician, outside under the stars at night a combo band. They REALLY do it! Fanatics, and lovin' every moment. Even as an ex owner and one of the original members, people from long ago still remembered me. That felt good.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Well you were dead on about the imperial. I would like to get it, but a new motor sounds better

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Nice '74 imperial that you had Mr. Block, how long did you have it?

As for Dynasties, my cousin has an '88 and it has 450,000 kms or 279,000 miles and all it needed (for major work) was new head gaskets. It's still the original transmission!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Nice '74 imperial that you had Mr. Block, how long did you have it?

As for Dynasties, my cousin has an '88 and it has 450,000 kms or 279,000 miles and all it needed (for major work) was new head gaskets. It's still the original transmission!
    that has to be the first time ive heard of a front drive chrysler holding onto its tranny above 100,000 miles

I had the 1974 2-Dr hardtop from 1974 until 1975 - 1 year. I bought the '74 on impulse. It was in stock and it was "LoVe" at first sight. I soon regretted not ordering it, as it have very very few options. My 1975 was nearly identical, but with all the options. The 74 had black crushed velvet interior, while I went for the bordello look in 75 with cranberry crushed velvet interior, and added a power sun roof, chromed mags, dual pwr seats and loads more "toyzz" ~ I kept the 75 until 1982 when I bought a bright gold metallic Imperial Coupe (the bustle back one).

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Stoneage_Caddy
    that has to be the first time ive heard of a front drive chrysler holding onto its tranny above 100,000 miles
    We're all shocked in my family. My Dad who hates Chryslers with a passion (calls them junk compared to GM or Ford) even had to admit that 1988 Dynasty must have done something right. I should mention, though, that his Dynasty had a new tranny installed under warrenty within 6 months of being new. But still..

Sandy, did you experience any leaking with your sunroof?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Not too familiar with 60s cars, but in the 70s the Imperials seemed to be evenly matched against the Fleetwoods. The Imperials generally had a bit smaller base price, and sold less than the Fleetwoods. If I had to rank them I'd say the Fleetwood was the nicest car, followed by the Imperials, followed by the DeVilles.

No leaking sun roof, and never had a problem with the car from 1975 thru 1982.

Dave: No

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.