60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; 3.0 V6 Automatic - and yes ive often thought about trying to mess with the 3000gt/stealth versions ... they are ...
    Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: 60s Era Cadillac VS Imperial Lebrons

3.0 V6 Automatic - and yes ive often thought about trying to mess with the 3000gt/stealth versions ... they are practically the same engine, just things are slightly modified for chryslers liking's- locations, designs etc. The Chrysler version is SOHC. The true-breed Mitsu is SOHC in low performance optioned cars but DOHC in high (like the turbo model).

This tells all about the differences (Plus it has tons of information for other MOPARS)
    http://www.allpar.com/mopar/3.html

The automatic still shifts fine and the engine is ok - the car was stolen before i got it, and ran through its paces-(burnout etc) but still survived. Only problem now is its running a lil rich and has a weak idle if rev'd. Probably an injector(s). Im surprised it works to this day and nothing was stolen except for some CD's (this is before i got it).

RealmCenter is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ahh Chyslers, my first love

Just thought I'd interject with my prior Chryslers all of which I LOVED (worked as a tech at a Chrysler dealer for several years before switching to Jag)
    1973 Dodge Polara Custom 4-door Hardtop
    1978 Dodge Monaco 2-door
    1988 Shelby Z (x2)
    1987 Shelby Lancer 172/800 5-speed (intercooled TII)
    1996 Chrysler LHS (sold before I bought my STS had 188,000 miles on it)
    2002 Chrysler Town&Country LXi (wife's)
    almost bought a 1992 Daytona IROC R/T (TIII) couldn't drive it home due to leaking fuel tank
    Still want a 1986 Omni GLHS!
    now I'm down to my STS and my '86 IROC-Z
    Regards,
    Darren

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I had a brite red one for a 'demo' for one month.
    1992 Daytona IROC R/T was nothing compared to my 1993 Stealth R/T

mmm Stealth R/T :coolgleam

Another mitsubishi switch around. lol.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

ahhh turbo chryslers ...man those were great

I still wish i bought that 90 LeBaron VNT i found

I had a family friend who had a LeBaron turbo , lived in montana and they would 'rap it out constantly.. fun fun fun.

(btw, the rich fuel situation was fixed with a new batt- i had to jump the car because the battery had a dead cell making it 7 +/- volts. Once the new battery was in and the computer got itself streight the car runs right= money saved)

rich situation ? what on the catera ?

the lebaron i had could have stood to run a little more rich ,esp when i got the occaional "overboost" lamp

My Shadow.. its older electronics are finiky. Even though it has SMPFI

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by JefferyG
    mmm Stealth R/T :coolgleam

Another mitsubishi switch around. lol.
    Always wanted one of those Stealth R/T's. I even went to our capital city back in '90 I think it was to see them when they first came out. In the last year of production ('97?) they had a pearl white twin turbo with red leather seats I drooled over.

Is it true that the Mitsu engines have thin gaskets and burn oil after only a few thousand miles? I've heard bad things about the newer ones and they are 18 billion is debt (or so I've heard) The Japanese are much too proud to let them go bankrupt and would probably bail them out or find investors.

1996 was the final model year. 446 were sold. The new color for 1996 was ORCHID !! 32 were sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Always wanted one of those Stealth R/T's. I even went to our capital city back in '90 I think it was to see them when they first came out. In the last year of production ('97?) they had a pearl white twin turbo with red leather seats I drooled over.

Is it true that the Mitsu engines have thin gaskets and burn oil after only a few thousand miles? I've heard bad things about the newer ones and they are 18 billion is debt (or so I've heard) The Japanese are much too proud to let them go bankrupt and would probably bail them out or find investors.
    Its problems with the valve seals, atleast for the 3.0 engines (which was in the stealth etc.)

This jeffery is a REAL shadow ....
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...493286603&rd=1

found it doing my usual search for VNT cars

an01sts is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Ther is another Dynsaty that broke the over 100k before tranny problems. My mother's 92 with 256k on the clock. A water pump, and it had a relay that it kept eating up, probally a half dozen of these 5 buck parts. Never even had an alternator or a timing belt. Oh yes, a sway bar and a few sets of pads drums, rotors, and a few batteries. She got rid of it in 2000 because the tranny craped out.

Speaking of Imperails, my parents bought a new 1968 Imperail--I belive it was a Broughm, Crown, something like that. Very similar to the 7 that's pictured. The grill was a little sharper angled, very similar to the lines of that era Impala.

Along with a 4D 64 Dodge Polara, with a 318 and push button slush box, I learned how to drive with the Imperail in 1974. (The Dodge was retired around in the early 80's @ 460k on the clock because the wiper linkage corroded from its firewall mount, making it so that you couldn't drive it in the rain. Other than that, there was nothing wrong with it: It had been through a few alternators and water pumps, and exausts, but the valve coveres had never been removed. Original tranny and the fluid had never been changed. Oil changes were @ 20k intervals, if that. It didn't burn a drop of oil, ran like a scaled dog, and would still easilly white smoke the tires. My younger brother also learned to dirve in it. He still doesn't have lots of foresight, but on the first day of his lisecene, he went out and burned off a new set of tires to the plys.)

The Imperail was my choice between the cars, even though the Dodge was the quicker out of the hole. All my buddies loved riding around in it. Off the line, it wasn't much, but on the highway, it would eat up any Cadillac on the road. I think that the clock had just hit 200k when my dad got rid of it. The eingine had never had internal work. The thing is that it was burining oil bad, even with new valve seals and had lost lots of its power. It was getting where the plugs would oil foul in a few thousand miles. Plugs were miserable on the car, and that was my job. Also, it always broke engine mounts, and they were braking long before I got behind the wheel. I know that I was the worse culprit, but even my mother would break mounts. The suspension was going to hell, even with replacment parts. Basically the car started to fall apart, including the tranny. I'm a GM man all the way, but I would like to see a GM of that era, clock 200k, let alone the almost half million miles without any engine tranny work. (I have a 69 Firebird with a little over a half million on the clock: 5 engines, 3 front ends, 2 transmission, 3 rears, and the second set of leaf springs. Tyical GM product.)

The 1968 Imperials came in 2 models: Crown and the LeBaron. The Crown was a 4-Door Ppst Sedan, or a 2-Door Hardtop, or a 4-Door Hardtop, or a Convertible. The LeBaron was a 4-Dr. Hardtop, only, and was the most expensive, with a partially enclosed small(er) Limo-type rear window, and padded vinyl roof. We never got THAT kinda mileage on ours. My Dad's lifelong best friend (used to call him "uncle") owned an I-C-P dealership 2 blocks down from my Dad's office. My folks got a new Imperial every single year from 1957 thru 1978. In 1978 he retired & sold the delaership, (a teeny tiny little old fashioned 2-car showroom. Every year he took back our Imperial and sold it as a "Demo", and we got a new one. The "old" one seldom had more than 5,000 miles on it. We usually got the LeBaron, but did have three convertibles: a 1961 a 1965, and 1968. The rest were LeBarons. The 1961 had the biggest fins ever put on any car, and was PINK !!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

@ An01STS:
    My best friend's Dad had a 1964 Polara convertible back in HS. I don't know if they still have it but they owned it since the 1960's. They said it was rare and they were suposedly going to restore it. It was black with a whitish (I think) interior, push button auto, and the 318 "wide block." I've seen the newer 318's but this was a lot wider. He told me the HP was matched per cubic inch. They also had a hard time getting 2 headlights in the smaller size because as you know there were 2 large and 2 small.

As for any GM cars not lasting like a Chrysler, my Dad was a mechanic and he had a 1968 Chev Belvadere with well over 150,000 miles and no problems! This was back in the 1970's and I still see that car around town! It was a 3 in the tree. The other vehicle at the Gulf service station was a 1956 Ford that we used as a tow truck. It NEVER brokedown but I cannot remember the mileage. Novas were also extremely reliable, and crash safe.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.