Cadillac IS better than Lincoln... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac IS better than Lincoln... in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; hey, i still wanna do detailing at the lincoln limo place... plus those guys can import cheap LMFAO @ the ...
    orange is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Cadillac IS better than Lincoln...

hey, i still wanna do detailing at the lincoln limo place... plus those guys can import cheap

LMFAO @ the trunk lid thing.. man now i want one just for that AHAHA

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

'Ya, it "stuns" the onlooker!

Them =
    Me =

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Sandy... the TC has the 4.6 SOHC...

...the same engine used int he Mustang GT

There is a HUGE aftermarket on that enigne

go add 60hp your own way and have a hot-rod Lincoln

I will admit, I do like Lincoln.. alot... in the 90's the Connies had alot of problems, but that was it... I REALLY like the styling of the late 70's Continental... classic American luxury... out '79 Continental limo is a sweet car for looks... I love the nose... just massive...

I like luxury cars... most of all, American luxury cars... I am just very partial to Cadillac... the LS is nice, but with a 3.9L V8 and not much aftermarket... eh...

... I really have a thing for Town Cars though, the last style witht he swept-back nose was nice, and this new one too... honestly, while Cadillac is trying to go Euro and chase after everyone else, Lincoln is staying true to it's American roots, and I really like that... Ford dosn't care either, becuase it dosn't need Lincon.... in fact all Ford needs to stay alive, and do very well is the F150/Taurus/Crown Vic/Exploerer... those 4 models alone sell more then most other brands total...

the Town Car.... bascially an upscale Crown Vic... has always been V8, RWD, full frame etc... soemthing to be siad about that... my grand father used to have an '87 TC... that car rode very nice... now he has an '03 Grand Marquies...

I think throughout history, Lincoln has always had a better ride then Cadillac... but Cadillac has (or had) "that Cadillac ride" that only Caddy's had...

I remember going to Florida, and the service to pick us up form the air port and drive 30mins to the hotel was Florida Town Car... drivers used their own personal cars... IIRC it was a '97 or so.. the newer style... it had 250k miles on it, all orignal.. I was surprised... the car rode so nice too... I dunno what it is.. even my '93 has thqat connected to the rode feel.. the Lincoln had a very nice soft ride...

I always throw out Ford jokes... too fun not too... in reality I don't mind Ford at all.. they make plenty of nice products.. I like the F150 ('93-'96 being my favorite years) and the Town Car... I may even consider a Town Car as a next vechicle... as I have previosuly... the fac tthat the enigne is just shouting to be modded is nice...

AElayyat is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 85 Fleetwood Brougham, 90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS

I know it all comes down to personal taste and all guys but the thing is I just got too use to Caddys, my dad always had a Caddy and you could say I got the Caddy gene. Somebody made a good point about saying that Lincs are staying true to the RWD full-size American luxury car idea and that is why am not really excited about the new Caddys.

Honeslty, like I said, Cadillac has comepltly gone away form it's classic Cadillac, while Lincoln has stayed... they know there is no need to chase after the Euro brands....

2005 Town Car

I didn't use the DeVille, as it is still not updated... although the current gen did away with almost all of the classic DeVille signs as well... '99 was the last year for some, but '93 was really the last year for the classic DeVille...

So here is the '05 STS

While it does look nice.... there is nothing at all classic, or traditional American about it... the only thing that Cadillac has kept, and they say it themself, although I woudln't go that far becuase it really odsn't resemble it.. but the "egg crate" grille...

Give me a Town Car and a Miata... and I am keeping my '79 and '93 DeVille's.... I'd be set....

One of the coolest things in the Town Car is something 95% of people will never use. It's another of those "HEY..look what I got" things. In the trunk and BUILT IN to the floor of the trunk is a LARGE removeable Picnic Basket!! It has sections with dividers, is insulated, has a tight fitting insulated removeable top and a built-in bottle opener. With top ON, it's large enough for two people to sit on, and it will hold 225 pouinds! When installed into the trunk, it dissapears out of sight! We removed it when we took our son back to college. We were able to transport his entire rooms' contents in the trunk and make but one trip. Was speaking with another father who came in a Mercury Mountaineer and actually had less stuff & had to make 2 trips ! We even brought two area rugs, computers, TV all the bedding & clothes, and an air coditioner and wire racks & towels and a stereo. No sweat. The air shocks kicked in and leveled us immediately. With wife & I aboard total weight was well over 5,000 pounds. Rode as good as my 5,300 pound 1973 Imperial used to.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

The town cars have nice interiors but the back of it looks very awkward to me no offens to you Sandy. Sayin Cadillac does not do the true American luxury car anymore well, Cadillac is the American luxury car company. What Cadillac makes is the true American luxury car.
    Night wolf- I see what you were getting at though and that is that Cadillac does not make 8,000lb tanks anymore. The market for that kind of luxury car is not as big as it was 20 years ago. People want a quality, agile, comfortably sized luxury sedan now. Sure, there is still a market for a full size luxury sedan and there will always be one as long as I am alive. But Cadillac had to change the DeVilles styling after making it the way it was for so so many years they had to change. I want Cadillac to grow and all and be its own self, not be like Lincoln pretty much and just be the epitomy of a crown victoria or whatever else. Sure those town cars are great I like them, but I would take a 2005 STS anyday over a Town Car.

Sandy did you look at the Seville?

I looked at it, but I didn't want bucket seats. If I go for the SRT-8, it has to have buckets, so that's the stumbling block.
    You need to go to your local Lincoln dealer, and take a 2004/05 out for a test drive! I did take out a 2003 DeVille DHS. It has more power than the T.C. ~ the T.C. is smoother and has waaay better braking. They are equally quiet, but the Town Car has a much nicer interior, richer & more elegant. The Town Car also has better seats and REAL wood, not faux wood. More toyzz on Town Car like power lowering & closing trunk, automatic raising hood upon being lifted 2", not a choice of glove box OR CD changer, but the availabilty of both, glove box hinged compartments in both front doors, keys that "know" which driver is approacing it, and align the seats, adjustable pedals and stereo stations to THAT person's choices .... and the picnic basket, are among reasons that they are selling 85,000 a year of them. Try one, THEN critique it.

Cadillac is the American luxury car
    I would go on a limb to say Cadillac WAS the American luxury car...

I am not tlaking about FWD or RWD, full frame, or unibody, 3,500lbs or 5,500lbs... to the averge person, they can care less...

... I am tlaking about traditonal American styling cues on cars, that Cadillac does not have anymore (agian, not counting the current DeVille, and even that is closing in quick)

things like, long wheelbase, but even longer length of car... I know that putting the wheels on the corners of the car helps in handling... but c'mon, a luxury car... I like to see FEET, not INCHES of the car after the rear wheels... I like to see a huge trunk lid, not something stubby...

Everything today is for aerodynamics... or to look sleek.... that is one of the biggest reason why I love my '93 Coupe DeVille so much... it truly is the last of the traditional Cadillac's.... classic proportions between the fender, door and rear quarter panel, big trunk lid, actual chrome bumpers, chrome door *handles* with seperate push button, the rear window is small and vertical, the hood has the classic raised-in-center design as Cadillac has ALWAYS had (although not as extreme as the '79... it is definitly there) the big chrome grille with cross-hatched patterns, the mini-fins, the slim vertical tail lights, the 2 reverse lights next tot he rear license plate with chrome surrounding it, I also like to be able to see the whole hood and frot of the car while sitting in the seat... I can go on and on... and that is just the exterrior... move to the inside, and while i like the 90's interrior of Cadillac better then the 80's (which my car is based off of) I still have the classic simple horizontal dash, big horizontal speedo, bench seats etc.... like I said, I can go on and on with that car....

The new Cadillac's don't have any of that... they go for the small BMW look, and feel... which I do not like.... 3 and 5 series BMW do not appeal to me at all... they try to be sporty, while being a luxury car... more-so on the 3-series... THAT is my major gripes... don't get me wrong, I am still a die-hard Cadillac fan, and I do not mind the new models.... but when it truely comes down to who has retained the classic Amserican.... not only style, but design, and driving experience... the credit goes to Lincoln.... 10 years ago it would have been differnt... today, it is Lincoln by far... and I do not see Ford changing Linclon, much less the Town Car to go fight BMW and MB anytime soon... and they are still selling plenty... sure alot are fleet sales... but there is nothing wrong with that either....

The only thing on the new Town Car I do not like *that* much, is the back... the tail lights seem a little too big for the back of the car... other then that, they are very nice and elegant.... they don't have that snobby, Hey look at me, I just bought a $50k car, look to them... but when you stop and actually look at it... there is alot of styling going on...

... In fact the biggest problem with Lincoln is reliability... 10 years down the line... the rear air bags blow out.... that auto-hood lift feature may get weak over time etc... but under all the flashy stuff, it is a Crown Vic... which is a very, very reliable and dependable car.... which is why if you want a truely relaible car without the flashy Lincoln tuff, get a Mercury Grand Marquies... more upscale then the Crown Vic, but dosn't have the expensive things that will go bad witht he TC 10-15+years later... but like anything, if you take proper care of it, the car will last... and parts/maintenace on a TC is cheap enough, that even replacing the rear air bags after 10 years will still not offset the extra cost and maintneace in owning a Lexus or Aura or Audi... parts for those things are so damn expensive...

...eh, every day I am getting less and less Ford vs. GM, and more and more Domestic vs. import... I will stick up for Ford, just like I do Chyrsler... and I truely like the Town Car, I am not going to try and fool myself by saying that I don't either...

...Although, if I did have... say $10k to spend right now on a used car, it woudln't be a Town Car... simply for the fact that I already have 3 cars with the classic American touch to them... I do get tired of bench seats, colum shift, simplest dash after awhile... which is why for $10k I would get a '98+ STS or ETC... and if i could get a manual in either of those, I would

another neat thing that was killed off with my car, was the bumberetts... I think they look really cool, and give the car an attitude kind of look while still being classy.... I also consider them to the a trickle down effect of the big bullets in the 50's....

While looking at these, keep in mind the proportions of the cars, as well as the wheelbase in compairson to the overall length of the car, obviously they got smaller as time went on, but compare the size of a door to the fender, or trunk lid to hood etc.... if you look hard enough, you will find MANY styling cues that have styaed over the years...

.... various Cadillacs:

1955 Coupe DeVille

1967 Coupe DeVille convertable

1979 Sedan DeVille d'elegance

1993 Sedan DeVille (nice color choice and those are my favorite factory wheels)

1996 Sedan DeVille

2004 DeVille

2005 CTS

2005 STS

Obvisoly styling has changed over the years, but it is easy to see what things have been kept where... these are just randmon cars on ebay too, not top model or anything special... the current DeVille could pass as being traditional... in some ways... but the new "wave" (as show by the CTS and STS... and probably the DTS in a few years0 have nothing in common at all... these are just the sides... front/back views further prove this point...

The rear air bag suspension in the Town Car will blow out in 5 years, not 10, but there are ways to make them last much longer. The cars in Florida & Calif. & Texas last 4-ever. Two choices here. Don't use it when road salt is present (hard not to do) or easier, have the underbody washed with special attention to the bags monthly from the first usage by the town/county of salt on the roads, until Springtime. This does wonders for promoting their life.
    I usually get a new car every 4 years, so it doesn't affect me. Still I do it at least twice a winter, indoors of course.
    I like that slate Bronze sedan de Ville you pictured!! My favorite Caddies are the 1993 Coupe & the 1993 Sixty Spcl. followed by the the RWD Fleetwood Brougham of 1992 and the 1967-1970 Eldorados

believe it or not, that '93 has a cracked block, and went for next to nothing on ebay.... the 2 tone is...different... and the car looks differnt without any special roof on it too...

... there was a '93 Sedan around here, from Florida, I took pics of it with my cell phone.. it was in bad shape though, but smae color as mine...

Out of those cars, i would want the '55, then the '67...... the '55 Coupe DeVille is on my "must have before I die" car list.... actually it is 2nd... first is a '59 Eldorado convertable... if all goes well, one day I will have both of those sitting in my garage... alongside a '93 Coupe DeVille and a '79 Sedan DeVille

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

Sandy , why the 1993 Coupe and Sixty ?

I talk to alot of people who dont care for them saying "there too boxy" or "there too small" , alot of downsize cadillac haters i guess

I understand the Eldos you choose , and the fleet brougham (very good taste on that one)

But youve owned some impressive rides , the Imperials included . Was the 93 caddy becuase of the low numbers ?

Dont get me wrong , i like them too , they scream cadillac alot louder than my 94 , the proportions for me are easier to stomach than my 94's "swelled up when it got wet" look but out of all the years and all the model generations why the 85,86-93 style ?

I tend to like "Lasts" - providing the "last" is last of a long and respectible & honored brand or model. The '93 Coupe was the final Coupe de Ville, a line that began in 1948 or 1949. The Sixty Special for the same reason, only the year was 1938. They are not all that boxy, and are definately NOT small.

The Imperials. I wish I had every one my folks owned. What a set. Yes, they were fantastic cars....but....who knew? When I was 17 & went to the State for my drivning test, I showed up in a new 1964 Imperial LeBaron, all 235 inches of it. I parked it perfect on the first try. The supervisior said he could not do it! Yes, the Imperials were the best of the best.
    http://www.geocities.com/genaris.geo...fix/64leb4.jpg

the '93... yeah, it is kinda boxy... but that is what is nice about it... it has the look of a calssic Cadillac... not something a liberal complaning about aerodynamics and gas prices would do...

.. small... yeah, the '85-'87? (the ones with the HT4100) were even smaller.... for me personally... the '93 is "ok" size... honestly, I feel very comfortable in my '79... I think the size is nice... and that (besides the 80's Broughams... same car) are the only cars that I drove, that I never felt were too small... the '93 Coupe is actually 3" shorter then a Sedan... all 3" are lost in rear seat leg room.... look at a 4 door version of my car.. the rear doors are bigger then the front... But, something interesting... check the length of a 1993 Sedan DeVille.... you'll notice it is only about an inch or so shorter then a 2004 DeVille.... they are not all that small... I think most of it has to do with the older styling... '94 they raised the belt line, gave it more of a "cleaner" look and such...

I think the car for me is a '64 Imperial like Sandy has pictured

I have a simialr story... except i was 16, and the car was my mothers '89 Brougham... the guy made me do a 3-point turn on an old service road to an abonded factory... the car is about 20 feet long, no lie this road had to be 25 feet wide... there was a steep cliff on one end and a cement wall on the other... I made the turn withuot any problem at all... needless to say the guy was very impressed...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.