stock CTS-v vs modded SHO
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, stock CTS-v vs modded SHO in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; First off, just let me say WOW, those Caddy's are very sweet! Love the look off that front end, and ...
    turboSHO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

stock CTS-v vs modded SHO

First off, just let me say WOW, those Caddy's are very sweet! Love the look off that front end, and those brakes are amazing!

Anyway, I met up with a friend of mine who had recently purchased an 04 V. He was returning from a trip around the country (literally, starting in Mass, going to Wash, Cali, where he pulled on his friends M5!, Grand Canyon and back towards me). We met for some burgers at a local joint, and I took him for a ride in the SHO (he was a SHO owner previously). Well, as I am seeing him on his way, we decide to see how the two compare. Now, let me set this up first, so as not to set of any alarms. He had two passengers, I had one. He had lots of luggage, I had none. He was stock 400hp, I am far from stock, and making a lot of power (custom IC'd turbo system).

First race in low boost (8psi), I am in third gear (assume he is as well) @ 55mph. We held even for about a second, then the SHO starts walking. As the boost reaches full potential I am pulling away decently. Grab 4th and I have about a car on the V. Once in the 4th the pull continues up until we have to slow for upcoming traffic. All in all, from 55-110 I may have grabbed about two cars. V held it's own quite well.

Next race I decide to give her full boost, and we start in 2nd gear. This one was a little more lopsided. Going from about 40 we go on three honks again. Again, his instant power holds him even for a bit, but as soon as the turbo is fully boiling I start walking, and hard. SHO is up a car when I grab third. Third is pulling nicely and it looks like I get another 2 cars in 3rd. Grab fourth and just put some nails in the coffin with anothe 2 cars. Final tally, from 40-120 about 5 cars, but again, stock V (with extra weight) vs heavily modified turbo SHO. And trust me, I would trade the SHO and my left nut in a second for the Caddy. Very sweet ride.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

haveboost is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: stock CTS-v vs modded SHO

Sounds like alot of fun. But that's the beauty of a turbo. Weight does have alot to do with it. Maybe one day you should try it again when you're both empty. I'm sure it will be a little more fun.

dmn8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is still a Taurus

thebigjimsho is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Yeah, it's still a Taurus. But some of us aren't so lucky to have the cash or just don't want to risk being snooty and thus don't drive a V.

I have been lucky enough to own both. Now the V may hand the SHO it's lunch but it's not as fun to rev. And unless you're talking a S/C Mallet, noone here is touching the TurboSHO.

Sorry to have to embarass the V community, but don't bother racing a white Gen I SHO with a black hood. And he's a friend of mine. So sorry it's only a Taurus.

globed70 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

If he's a friend, then why did you invite him here to spin his enticing tale of pulling so many car lengths on a V (or M5 for that matter)? Is this somehow of interest to the regulars here?

Hey James, thought you might be here.

No, BigJim did not invite me here, I just thought I would post the race and video since it was with the Caddy. Never been a fan, but the V has changed my mind. Beautiful car, and I am stoked that the domestic companies are finally making a serious contender for those European uber-sedans. Meant no disprespect, and not here to troll, only interested in sharing and learning.

SHO Continental is offline Cadillac Owners Member

SHO Continental is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by turboSHO
    I just thought I would post the race and video since it was with the Caddy.
    You make good videos..
    I always liked your "sho_speed_project" video..

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

10 links and 200 posts later... no video.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Big fan of SHOs here, sawyour post in the other section here. Nice kill, and I'dlove to see your car!

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamin
    10 links and 200 posts later... no video.

Sorry sorry, but I have not been home since the race. As soon as I get home the vid will be made and I will send it to someone to host. You should see something by Monday night.

When I still owned my '92 and before I decided to s/c it, I attended the '99 National SHO Convention in Atlanta. I knew the previous owner of the Turbo SHO.

And as a fairly new mod, on a 98 degree day, 1000 ft above sea level and on street tires, I saw that thing spin and spin and spin its tires even more AND STILL turn in a mid 13 sec at 109mph.

That was before TurboSHO invested in increasing boost, improving the suspension and getting better rubber. And if you ever thought our Vs were hard to launch, try dragging a 400hp+ FWD car.

And there IS a video. My brother was in the car and he had the camera.

CadV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2

Wheres the video you promised???

Cough Cough

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

I'll believe it when I see the video.
    This thing has been posted on multiple forums now and none of them have seen a video either. It's a tall tale without proof.

Other sources:
    http://www.shoforum.com/showthread.php?t=33830
    http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/ind...?showtopic=9138
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=20039

I've owned a SHO, own a V and frequent both this forum and SHOforum equally. A tall tale? No. Unless you don't believe me then I guess you'd have to question whether I even own a V. I guess I just paid someone to take that picture of "a" V on Beartooth Pass in the Rockies. And I'm just hijacking someone else's info on wheelhop issues, oil temp quandries and the feel of autocrossing a V.

By the lack of response to my posts, I guess many must feel that way. Is it thebigjimsho forum name? I owned a SHO for years, have it for an aol name and my name on SHOforum. It's me.

That video exists unless my brother messed up in recording. Believe me, I'd rather edge out any SHO after working my ass off for nearly a year, selling the SHO AND trading in my Accord to pay for a V. But there are many supercharged SHOs getting well over 400hp TO THE WHEELS. There are many videos floating around of track prepped SHOs mingling with some high-priced exotics......and beating some. Tim has 1 of maybe 2 FI SHOs that are turbos. His dyno numbers are legit. The race is legit. If he gets the time to have the video hosted and running, you'll see. Don't believe me if you choose. It's up to you.

And I would love to see the video too.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.