stock CTS-v vs modded SHO - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, stock CTS-v vs modded SHO in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Guys, Guys.... If you want to get into turbo cars that will put a hurting on both SHO's and the ...
    jdodman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS V (Then). 07 STS-V (Next), 11 CTS-V (Now)

Re: stock CTS-v vs modded SHO

Guys, Guys....
    If you want to get into turbo cars that will put a hurting on both SHO's and the V's, pick yourself up a 1986 or 1987 Buick Turbo Regal (aka - Grand National). I own one V and one Buick GN. The GN is one of the best engineered perfomance cars the General ever made. It runs 11.9 on an unopened motor and there are a few guys in my Buick club running 11.5's (I hope to get there before the fall is over).

Now granted, if you have to stop or turn the car, you will have your hands full. But, flat out straight line performance is awesome. 17 year old technology and a 6 cylinder to boot...Pins you to the seat with slicks or wins the burn-out contests wherever you go, on street tires.

I love the V but when it is time to go to the track, I take the GN...

And it looks 10 times better then a Ferd..

T_Dogg8 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2002 Escalade EXT 2003 CTS

what was the point of this?? two people bragging about fords on a cadillac forum?? why?? not saying your lying, but without a video, i don't think anyone cares. and if you put as much money into aftermarket parts for the v, it would be much better than the equivelant sho, and if not, at least you'd be able to pick up 3 ladies and take them to a 5 star restaurant without looking out of place :coolgleam

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Hey guys!
    You won't believe what happened last night. I blew away a V!
    He was close and hung with me for a while, but I edged him out at top end.
    Must be my TonyA system on my CTS...

Hold on. I got a video too that I will post soon.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Nevermind.......

turboSHO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The video is done (and has been for a while) I have two versions, a high res (26MB) and a low res (6MB). I just can not get anyone to host it. I apologize for not having it up already, but I have no hosting capabilities, and my usual helpers have not responded to my e-mails and messages. Sorry. If anyone can host let me know. I can not send through e-mail, but I can upload the vid directly. Heck, I would even send a CD of it in the mail to someone if that is what it takes. I really want to get it hosted, it is a pretty nice vid.

alright look thebigjimslow, i think you need to learn to take a joke. because i was only JOKING (hence the ''). all i was saying was, why post that?? you're bragging about an sho on a cadillac forum. if i remember correctly, looking at the sho forum, they weren't exactly bowing down to the caddy either. why come to a caddy forum to talk about how you smoked a v but you have no proof?? if that happened, good job to your friend, he did great work on his car and should be happy. but don't brag about it here.

vfour is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: regarding the GN

I bought a new '86 GN in the fall of '85. Poorest build quality I have ever seen. This was about the zenith of GM's quality problems.

Nevertheless, a fun car to drive, particularly in 1986. Off the showroom floor it was a high 14 second car and no match for today's great rides. A GN running in the 11's is highly modified.

Not to hyjack this thread...especially since this is not about GN's....BUT...

Sorry VFOUR, but you are dating yourself, and you are working with dated information...

I have an 87 running 11.9 in an UNOPENED motor. IE - Stock Heads, Block, Pistons, etc. There are several others in the Philadelphia / NJ area running better than me with identical set ups (they are better tuners)...Back in the late 80's early 90's they did not know then, what they know today about these cars... Simple bolt on's today with less than $ 2.5k outlay, and you are in the high 11's.

I do have modifications BUT the engine, and rear are all original..The changes I have are all bolt on's. Intercooler, Turbo, Injectors, fuel pump, Methanol injection system, etc

Back in 1986 the GN was a mid/high 13 second car, that is documented in several trade magazines, so either you did not know how to drive or you had engine problems as well as quality problems.

I won't argue the overall quality of the product (paint, etc,). I agree it was bad even by GM standards back then, but remember what this thread is about. And I stand by my original statement. The GN will smoke most cars and certainly any Ford Taurus with similar $$$ mods...It also looks a whole lot better than any Ferd I ever seen...

so you don't consider bolting on an intercooler, turbo, injectors, fuel pump, methanol injection and more, to be highly modified??

not trying to start an arguement, but adding all of that should drop your times a couple seconds, so it seems like you're both right.

Man - I even typed it in BOLD so you guys would get it this time.

'UNOPENED' is the term I use to describe my drivetrain. Another sentence worth noting is

'I do have modifications BUT the engine, and rear are all original'

My only point :
    Not many (if any) 6 cylinder cars using 17 year old technology (ECM) that weigh 3,800 pounds (with me in it ) run in the mid 11's without opening up the engine and rear..

i'm not arguing any of that and i'm not saying you were trying to mislead. i'm just saying that vfour said it would take a highly modified engine to run 11s, and your rebutle was saying your engine was proof you don't need a highly modified engine to run 11s, but IMO, your engine is.

I guess it gets down to symantics.

The motor heads I grew up with (and I restored/ raced a 1965 Buick Gran Sport with a big block Nail Head Engine, so I am no kid), consider it a big difference when you compare cars that have unopened engine, trans, rear - to ones that have rebuilt motors with different pistons, roller cams, headwork, different gears in the rear and modified transmissions, etc...

I would bet a Ford Taurus (I believe these were front wheel drive no less) would need MAJOR engine and trans work to hit similar #'s. But I will also admit to not knowing much, if anything about the SHO.

All I know is, I have every original part I ever took off the GN in my attic (hence the referrance to bolt-on's) and can return the GN back to 100% stock in 1-2 days, right in my garage.

Whatever - It is all good !!!

turboSHO is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jdodman
    I guess it gets down to symantics.
    You said "The changes I have are all bolt on's.". That is probably what he was referring to, as for many, bolt ons do not count as much more than an air filter.

I would bet a Ford Taurus (I believe these were front wheel drive no less) would need MAJOR engine and trans work to hit similar #'s. But I will also admit to not knowing much, if anything about the SHO.
    You will NEVER get a SHO to run your kind of numbers at a drag strip, they are not strip cars (high HP, heavy FWD manual cars, not good for stellar 60'). ALso, since they come NA, you will never be able to approach the ease of modability of a factory FI vehicle. But you can take a COMPLETELY unopened SHO (stock rods and crank are forged and are very strong) and 'bolt-on' a SC or turbo and see over 350whp at failry low boost levels (10psi). I know of a few guys pushing 445whp on stock blocks (they had head/cam work though) @ 15+psi.

As for me, I have forged pistons (lowered CR from 9.8:1 to 9:1) and EH intake with enlarged butterflies (maybe good for 20whp). Stock head/cam, stock exhaust manifolds, transaxle with Quaife added, otherwise stock. I put 430whp to the ground and 412ft lbs (@ 12psi). It all goes up in smoke at the line (with street tires), but on the highway there are not many machines that embarass me (I ran 115 mph traps with 383whp/359ft lbs).

Certainly not as easy as a GN, but still cool nonetheless.

Nothing like a sleeper !!

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Bumpz yo. Just to annoy Jim.

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.