Cadillac Vs. Honda : Yes, another absurd comparison. - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Can a Honda be considered 'High End'?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We call them Acuras.

14 25.00%
  • Yes. Look at the Prelude and Accord.

3 5.36%
  • No. Simply no.

19 33.93%
  • No. Even the Acuras aren't truly high end.

20 35.71%
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac Vs. Honda : Yes, another absurd comparison. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by davesdeville Cadillac vs Honda? Ahahahahahah. :rolleyes2 What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^...
    Randy_W is offline Banned

Re: Cadillac Vs. Honda : Yes, another absurd comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Cadillac vs Honda? Ahahahahahah. :rolleyes2

What he said.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I think it was a mistake for Honda to VTEC their luxury cars. Torque is what a luxury car owner expects to feel. My '90 and '97 Legends felt pretty good when you stepped on them. Can't say that for the RL or the TL's that I "borrowed."

I think VTEC is fine for a 4-cyl. car that isn't going to do much without it.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Elvis
    I think it was a mistake for Honda to VTEC their luxury cars. Torque is what a luxury car owner expects to feel. My '90 and '97 Legends felt pretty good when you stepped on them. Can't say that for the RL or the TL's that I "borrowed."

I think VTEC is fine for a 4-cyl. car that isn't going to do much without it.
    Perhaps a V8 VTEC might help? Isn't that what's in the Pilot. I wonder how well Honda would do if they tried to dressup a Pilot to compete with Escalade or Navagators? Could they compete?

sidenote: Last year I test drove a base Civic LX with the 115 hp engine= completely gutless. Then the same day I drove the Civic SI coupe (in Canada it gets the 127 hp engine, and the SIR is 160 hp Acura engine from the RSX) anyway, the VTEC was much, much faster, and revved much quicker, despite them only having a 12 hp difference! So there must be something to those VTECs, and I'll bet a V8 VTEC would be nice.

etcCanuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

What the hell do you need a VTEC V8 for???? You have a reardrive northstar v8 with variable valve timing. Take one for a rip and see if you care about VTEC anymore....

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

at 148k miles and 15 years old, i would be very impressed to find any honda that looks and drives like my caddy. also i believe the base price on the 1990 sedan was $27k ive had nothing but the best of luck with this car. ive replaced an alternator and a starter both at 145k. in my mind this car screams reliable.

ill never say that my car is fast, in fact ill say its slow. its not built for speed. it was made to be pampered, driven nicely, and look gorgeous in the process. whether im driving at 7 or 70 im floating down the road. cadillacs are impervious to rough roads. after working for 9 hours, or sitting in a movie theater for 2 hours (i hate theater seats) theres nothing i could look forward to more than plopping down on my ever so soft leather seat and cruise home.

a kid at work has a 93 prelude, red. its a GIRLS CAR!!! he added an MSD ignition, coffee exhaust and a wing that matches no car and will have a negative performance effect if any at all. he wanted to race my caddy cuz i told him it was a v8 with about 180hp. his reasoning, "just to see how many horses he was pushing"....i declined to race, and my response.

i dont care how fast youre going, im driving outta here in a caddy. i win.

comparing these cars is pointless. if you wanna put thousands and thousands of dollars into a 140hp engine and make it sound like a yellowjacket thats fine. as for me, ill only be found cruising in the highest level of comfort cars can offer. cadillac

chuckdobbins is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 97 deville

i feel better now

Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

nicely done chuckdobbins :coolgleam
    yeah, caddies are "impervious to rough roads". i was driving down a street and they were rebuilding the road and it was very beat up and rough, along side me was a honda accord (not too new) and we both hit bumps, now i was just floating along like nothing was there, but he was bouncing all around his car like a ping-pong ball . now those moments make you a proud cadillac owner :coolgleam

when honda (or any other japanese company) comes out with a 4000lb car that has a thick steel unibody and a steel chasis that won't snap under the torque of a powerful v8 engine, then i'll say it's luxury. oh and it has to have a very soft supension too. lexus doesn't count because when they started they took apart an S class merc and looked at how it's made and did a japanese remake, hence the lexus ls430 = merc s430.

Swangin-&-Bangin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 03 DTS

The best Honda / Acura hands down was the 95 Legend Coupe... I think it was a nice blend of Luxury & Sport.... And for a car that is 10 years old, I haven't had any major problems with it... I love my Acura as much as I love me 03 DTS. I do think that the 95 Acura Legend Coupe was before it time. I remember when the new 2000 Devilles came out,,,, I thought that the corning lamp in the front bumper on the Devilles look just like the ones that came on my 95 Legend (see pic)..

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I've got a honda that can beat all your caddys.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Is it a car?

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Is it a car?
    Yahuh

tsmale is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1981 Fleetwood Brougham

I don't consider Honda to be "high-end". For that matter,neither do the Japanese.
    I spent 2 wks in Japan on vacation/meet family this past April.The streets are clogged with Toyotas,followed by Nissan.Mazda,Subaru,Honda etc.were in the minority.Most Hondas I saw were 1st generation Odyssey minivans.
    Acura is unknown in Japan.What are sold as Acuras in North America
    are "badge-engineered" Hondas with inflated sticker prices.
    Anyone for a Honda Quint Integra ?(Honest !!)

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

s2000s aren't very impressive. A 9000 rpm redline means nothing, except that you can get towards the end of the wall-clock sized tach you bought at autozone. I don't see it beating a CTS-V either, although it may or may not get by a 96 STS or ETC

The S2000 is a very quick little roadster that was designed to be used at the track. I agree that it posts Cadillac besting numbers in that area. The V comes close though and that is a good sized 4 door sedan. It's not as hard to get a small roadster/oversized go-kart to do post good numbers as it is a nearly 4000lb. luxury sedan.

When and if Cadillac makes a small roadster (maybe off of the Kappa platform or a small Sigma?), I have no doubt it will run rings around the S2000 and do so with style. Until then, there isn't a very good way to compare apples to apples, but with how close the much larger V comes to the S2000's performance my bet will be on Caddy.
    Maybe we can return to this comparison when the XLR-V comes out... at least they are both roadsters (although the XLR also is a much larger car).

Motor Trend numbers:

Honda S2000
    0-60: 5.8 seconds
    1/4 mile: 14.2 @ 99.9 mph
    60-0 Braking: 118 ft.
    Slalom: 68.6 mph

Compare the Slalom and braking numbers. If Cadillac can post Porsche-like numbers with a 4 door sedan, imagine what they could do with a small roadster:
    Cadillac CTS-V
    0-60: 5.1 seconds
    1/4 mile: 13.5 @ 105.3 mph
    60-0 Braking: 115 ft.
    Slalom: 65.0 mph

Wait, maybe we don't need a V version of the XLR to compete. These are pretty close for a roadster nearly twice the S2000's size:
    Cadillac XLR
    0-60: 6.0 seconds
    1/4 mile: 14.2 @ 101.4 mph
    60-0 Braking: 114 ft.
    Slalom: 64.0 mph

Cadillac STS (an even larger 4 door sedan):
    0-60: 6.0 seconds
    1/4 mile: 14.2 @ 97.5 mph
    60-0 Braking: 113 ft.
    Slalom: 64.4 mph

...and just to show how good this new Sigma platform is, look at how trackable even the SUV version is:
    Cadillac SRX
    0-60: 6.4 seconds
    1/4 mile: 14.6 @ 96.3 mph
    60-0 Braking: 122 ft.
    Slalom: 60.3 mph

Sure, not much will touch the S2000's supercar-like slalom numbers, but that owes heavily to it's very light weight. Still not a bad car if you don't worry about things like everyday living or adaptability. The CTS-V is an everyday driver that you can track. The S2000 is a track car that they let on the streets for the weekend.

To show how the above numbers add up in application, here are their Nurburgring times:

Honda S2000 (2000) - 8:39
    Honda S2000 (2004) - 8:30
    Cadillac CTS-V - 8:19

If you're not familar with Nürburgring, the north loop is about 15 miles in length and has more than 170 turns. Elevation through the track changes by more than 700' and parts of the road are inclinded at 11 degrees – this lap is widely regarded as the true measure of a car’s performance.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.