Cadillac Vs. Honda : Yes, another absurd comparison. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

View Poll Results: Can a Honda be considered 'High End'?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. We call them Acuras.

14 25.00%
  • Yes. Look at the Prelude and Accord.

3 5.36%
  • No. Simply no.

19 33.93%
  • No. Even the Acuras aren't truly high end.

20 35.71%
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac Vs. Honda : Yes, another absurd comparison. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Maybe a good way to put it is, "Acuras have luxury, but they aren't luxury cars."...
    Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Cadillac Vs. Honda : Yes, another absurd comparison.

Maybe a good way to put it is, "Acuras have luxury, but they aren't luxury cars."
    Quick reply to this message Reply  

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

Sorry I missed this thread. I can tell you a lot about Honda/Acura, because that's all I've driven for the past 13.5 years.

NO "Honda" can compare with ANYTHING Cadillac has to offer.

The Acura TL compares favorably with the standard CTS. If I had a choice, I'd take the TL any day.

The RL is very comfortable, quiet, and luxurious enough. But if I had to take a 1000-mile trip I'd rather be in a Seville. The RL is also very BLAND. Not much power at all. If you want power and performance, don't give the RL a second look. Supposedly they're about to re-design it, but the competition will be the BMW 5-series and the Mercedes E-class. That's not a true flagship, IMO. Honda doesn't always try to do better. They try to do almost as good, but at a lower cost. They're into efficiency and reliability.

What you're supposedly getting with Acura is the Honda reliability. But now they're mostly made in the States anyway. Look at the serial numbers--if they start with a "J" they're Japanese, if they start with an "A" they likely came out of Marysville, OH. Japanese-made Hondas are (in my experience) MUCH more reliable than their American counterparts. I chose to spend $10,000 more for the RL in 1997 for this reason. I chose the 2000 Prelude over the Accord for the same reason. I was right.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

No. Honda doesn't make "high-end" cars with the Honda badge - they use the Acura badge for their "high-end" cars. An Acura RL is a very luxurious car. The Acura RL, Infiniti Q45 and Lexus LS430 are all intended to be luxuriously appointed vehicles. They have nice leather, they're comfortable, they're roomy, they're quiet, and they've got power (well, the new RL has power)..
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Acuras are luxury cars.

Just just don't float or have cushy couch seats like Cadillacs .

Elvis is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 Expedition

I used to say (joking) that my Acura Legends were "Japanese Jaguars."

After about a year with the RL I started calling it a Japanese Buick. The one area that this car excelled in was QUIET. There was a LOT of sound deadening material, and the only time you heard tire noise was in the rain when water would splash up in the wheel wells.

You NEVER heard the motor.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

with the new RL they will squeeze out 300hp out of a v6, now thats pretty impressive.

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Yes it is. Now you all might be jealous that in my young 17 years of age i have access to an S2000, which i may say is one of the fastest cars i've ever driven.The 240hp v-tec four banger is a force to be reckoned with. None of your cars will keep up with it. Well at least not most. With a redline of 9000 and sounds like a vette at 7000, i may say it is one kick ass car.

Slick V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I smoke them all day

I'm sure you do.

lev
    lev is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Let's see what threads I stumpled upon in other Cadillac groups on this forums

"Oil Leaking"- Cadillac SRX.
    "Dash Paint Pealing??"-Cadillac SRX. I decided to keep the spelling original.
    "Gm Recalls Cadillac SRX" - Cadillac SRX. Braking issues.
    "Wet Feet & Lousy Radio" - Cadillac SRX.
    "Paints Problems"- Cadillac CTS.
    "Any Major Problems On The CTS" - Cadillac CTS.
    "Cadillac Still Denying Rear Differential Problems" - Cadillac CTS.
    "Transmission Problem?" - Cadillac CTS.
    And somebody started a thread about a piece of glass falling out if his or her XLR between the door and C-pillar when the convertible roof retracts.

These are brand new cars, so poor maintenance doesn't fly.

We keep calling Cadillac a luxury car. But let's ask ourselves.... what is luxury? To some, it is another toy, another gizmo that you can play with and get bored after two or three tries. To others it is not spending time in the shop, thus not doing what you planned to do, wasting time, cancelling appointments, because the problem just appeared, it is not coming to the shop again and again over the problem that never duplicates itself when mechanic looks at it. It is ability to plan both your time and money on things and people and activities that make you enjoy lif, when the car darkens the shop threshold only for preventative maintenance.

You're right, Gothicaleigh, this is an absurd comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by lev
    Let's see what threads I stumpled upon in other Cadillac groups on this forums

"Oil Leaking"- Cadillac SRX.
    "Dash Paint Pealing??"-Cadillac SRX. I decided to keep the spelling original.
    "Gm Recalls Cadillac SRX" - Cadillac SRX. Braking issues.
    "Wet Feet & Lousy Radio" - Cadillac SRX.
    "Paints Problems"- Cadillac CTS.
    "Any Major Problems On The CTS" - Cadillac CTS.
    "Cadillac Still Denying Rear Differential Problems" - Cadillac CTS.
    "Transmission Problem?" - Cadillac CTS.
    And somebody started a thread about a piece of glass falling out if his or her XLR between the door and C-pillar when the convertible roof retracts.

These are brand new cars, so poor maintenance doesn't fly.

We keep calling Cadillac a luxury car. But let's ask ourselves.... what is luxury? To some, it is another toy, another gizmo that you can play with and get bored after two or three tries. To others it is not spending time in the shop, thus not doing what you planned to do, wasting time, cancelling appointments, because the problem just appeared, it is not coming to the shop again and again over the problem that never duplicates itself when mechanic looks at it. It is ability to plan both your time and money on things and people and activities that make you enjoy lif, when the car darkens the shop threshold only for preventative maintenance.

You're right, Gothicaleigh, this is an absurd comparison.
    Before you get all high and mighty, my old pal Lev, EVERY car company has some problems, ESPECIALLY HONDA and ACURA. I hate to be the one to break it to you. There are many people here who have not had trouble until the 150,000 mile marker hits, do a search in the early posts and see what I mean. Too bad you had some sort of trouble with yours, but if you're not willing to share what went wrong, (probably minor issues) don't try to mock the entire brand name that has come a long way in the past decade alone. Cadillac answers ONLY to LEXUS as proven by Goth, and numerous newspaper articles I've read. Why in the he** can't people get that into their heads?! The proof is in black and white. I guess people aren't ready to hear Cadillac will be number one very soon. The snoobs out there are not ready to hear their NEW Benz, BMW, Audi, Acura,Toyota is actually inferior to Cadillac this year, and the gap to Lexus is closing fast. Every one of those problems you mentioned can be cleared up under warrenty, the same cannot be said for Honda when they tried to hide a serious safety issue. Read on:

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/ACURA.htm

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...0300-7874r.htm

http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/Sto...?StoryID=10103

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=44905

http://www.texas-injury-lawyers.com/...ndarecalls.htm

http://earthrenewal.org/are_honda_au...safe_and_r.htm

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ar...p/t-13114.html

To me a luxury car is something that is not disposable after 10 years of usage, and not boring and powerless. The Toyota Camry has been called the best, most practical car out there, but you won't see me driving that boring thing unless I want to be like everybody else, and have no class.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Before you get all high and mighty, my old pal Lev, EVERY car company has some problems, ESPECIALLY HONDA and ACURA. I hate to be the one to break it to you. There are many people here who have not had trouble until the 150,000 mile marker hits, do a search in the early posts and see what I mean. Too bad you had some sort of trouble with yours, but if you're not willing to share what went wrong, (probably minor issues) don't try to mock the entire brand name that has come a long way in the past decade alone. Cadillac answers ONLY to LEXUS as proven by Goth, and numerous newspaper articles I've read. Why in the he** can't people get that into their heads?! The proof is in black and white. I guess people aren't ready to hear Cadillac will be number one very soon. The snoobs out there are not ready to hear their NEW Benz, BMW, Audi, Acura,Toyota is actually inferior to Cadillac this year, and the gap to Lexus is closing fast. Every one of those problems you mentioned can be cleared up under warrenty, the same cannot be said for Honda when they tried to hide a serious safety issue. Read on:

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/ACURA.htm

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...0300-7874r.htm

http://autonet.ca/AutonetStories/Sto...?StoryID=10103

http://www.just-auto.com/news_detail.asp?art=44905

http://www.texas-injury-lawyers.com/...ndarecalls.htm

http://earthrenewal.org/are_honda_au...safe_and_r.htm

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/ar...p/t-13114.html

To me a luxury car is something that is not disposable after 10 years of usage, and not boring and powerless. The Toyota Camry has been called the best, most practical car out there, but you won't see me driving that boring thing unless I want to be like everybody else, and have no class.
    You posted what is about the extent of what you would find for Honda/Acura issues...... now, do some research about GM. I didn't - you know why? I'd be here all friggin week posting different links.

But the thing is, you rarely..... RARELY see any GM vehicle (including Cadillac) with over 150k miles still in very good shape. Now, the new cars coming from them (ie CTS) may be different, and I hope they are. But it's nothing to see an Acura with over 200k and still worth 5-7 grand. I haven't even seen a Cadillac with that many miles. And I don't mean after an engine and transmission rebuild. I mean on a car that's got everything it came with from the factory except for routine maintainance (brakes, tires, belts, oil)

Erm...

Oh and ya, add 7k to this

Yea thats the original motor. Lets see a honda do that.

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

I always wonder why the common arguement from the Honda side is the whole 100 hp per litre .....everyone always says WOW thats amazing ....

Fact is they have very little torque , very very little ......HP is just a selling point , means nothing .....The honda( like fast said) doesnt wake up till midway thru the rev band . Honda thru winding the engine up to wickedly high RPM makes there power , a lesson learn from there early motorcycles and there First F1 effort in the late 60s .The technology is nice to see but ANY and i mean ANY manufacturer can build a 100 hp per litre 4cyl (all motor/no forced induction) but they dont , the engines are a pain to learn to launch off the line for the typical driver ....Most of the time the makers try to make a more blaced engine , giving up HP to bring torque up ...Also Sacrificeing insane redlines for longevity (How many 300,000 mile b18s have you seen)

No one is ever amazed the RX8 can make over 250hp off 1.3 litres with again very little torque...why ? if we only count hp per litre this blows the honda away ....

When honda makes a S2000 with 250 hp and 250 lb feet from 2.5 litres or less then i will have more respect(er lots with one of my own in the garage) ....But right now only the little S2000 and NSX are desireable in my book based on how balanced they are once rolling .....Dont get me wrong honda's are great cars(and awesome motorcycles) but in the end they are equal to everyone .

Then again my opion doesnt matter because i thinka few diesels and the modern pushrod chevys are high tech (ls1/ls6/up coming vvt pushrod 6.0)

Not to mention I also love rotarys even tho they have no torque....

So can a honda guy tell me when and in what they will put a diesel engine in for me to buy in the US ?

Quote Originally Posted by fastball
    You posted what is about the extent of what you would find for Honda/Acura issues...... now, do some research about GM. I didn't - you know why? I'd be here all friggin week posting different links.

But the thing is, you rarely..... RARELY see any GM vehicle (including Cadillac) with over 150k miles still in very good shape. Now, the new cars coming from them (ie CTS) may be different, and I hope they are. But it's nothing to see an Acura with over 200k and still worth 5-7 grand. I haven't even seen a Cadillac with that many miles. And I don't mean after an engine and transmission rebuild. I mean on a car that's got everything it came with from the factory except for routine maintainance (brakes, tires, belts, oil)
    "The extent," I don't think so. Go to Google and enter "Honda Recalls"=137,000 posts There is more than enough Honda problems to shake a stick at.

"Honda Safety Recalls"=75,600

""Honda Serious Recalls"=11,900

Sure Cadillac will have a lot but they also have a longer history on the road, and I'm betting there are more of them made than Honda. Any owner with 150,000 miles is not going to expect much in the name of resale value anyway. If you don't think Hondas depreciate you'd better check out my thread on depreciation and see what people had to say. Hondas hold their value at FIRST, for a few years, then rapidly depreciate. The opposite is true for Caddies. Don't believe me, check your classifieds in the paper and tell me I'm wrong.

I cannot count the number of 1970's, 1960's beaters still on the road. We buy them up here for harsh winter driving. Up here, cars that are that old don't get fixed, not worth it. They are thrown aside and we acquire another. I'm talking about cars that have no fenders left from salt corrosion and WELL OVER 150,000 miles on them. We keep them running throughout winter with little to no maintenance. My Dad who owned a Gulf service station up until he passed away in 1980, had a 1968 Chev Belvadere (sp?) and the owner STLL drives it around!!! I grew up with that car. His tow truck in the late 1970's was a Ford half ton from 1955, and it never needed repairs! When we got rid of the Gulf, we didn't know what to do with the damn thing, it was always loyal and trustworthy. Not many cars are built to outlast the owner, but that Chev did. Our 1980 Pontiac Phoenix coupe V6 has 250,000 kms or 150,000 + MILES on it and the valve covers have never been off it. It is still on the original tranny with all but a servo spring changed along with fluid for maintenance.

The point is that most people would probably not keep a car past the 150,000 mile mark, but I rather have to fix a GM car than pay more for expensive import parts that are going to last just as long anyway. Another aspect to consider is parts availability. I've heard that most car manufacturers are only required to stock parts for a discontinues model for around 8 years. Well, after 24 + years on the road, we can still get new parts from GM for the Phoenix! Can you still get parts for a 1971 Corolla or Civic?? I'm proud to drive a Cadillac, anyone that says otherwise is just jealous and has no respect for history of a legend.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.