Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, V versus M5 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; ultimatecarpage.com had a thread recently regarding how the CTS-V stacks up against the new M5 that is due out next ...
ultimatecarpage.com had a thread recently regarding how the CTS-V stacks up against the new M5 that is due out next year.
Most comments were favorable toward the M5 even though the higher price was supposed to be taken into consideration.
I doubt that would be the sentiment here. What does everybody think?
Here are my observations
1) V has a big advantage as long as the M5 is only a "paper car". i.e. can't buy it today
2) New 5 style is ugly. Especially true as viewed from the front. This is the angle from which the V is especially impressive
3) V handling is extremely competitive with M series -- a point that seems lost on the ultimatecarpage crowd
4) M5 is very pricey for any advantage versus the V
5) V is distinctive. M5 is not all that different looking from other 5 series
6) Jingoistic to say it but it feels good to drive and American car -- especially one with series performance credentials
1. BOTH M5 and V are distinctive but yet not very distinctive... look wise. The CTS V looks like a CTS from the rear but with dual exhaust, the M5 looks like a 5 series from the rear but with dual exhaust. The CTSV looks like a modified CTS in the front, as does the M5 look like a modified 5 series in the front.Get my drift? The design is taken the same way on both cars, use the regular CTS or 5 series... but do minor upgrades to make it look racey.
Apparently the M5 goes 0-60 in 4.5 and the CTS-V does it in 4.9? When the super-v comes out.. that'll change.
I really dont know why so many people dont like the design of the 5 series...
I think its one of the best designs in a while. Ofcourse, the CTSV has its act goin on too..
In my book, if I were a true enthusiast with the money to burn... id get the M5.. if I was a boulevard cruising family orientated guy with a need for speed, wanting the abillity to go out on track days... the CTSV would be the way.
Kind of an idiotic thread when you consider that the CTS-V is an exact performance match for the previous M5... the conversation would be better stated comparing previous to new M5, rather than bringing the whole german vs. american car thing into it. And people who look at 0-60 as a performance indicator of super sedans either really don't understand much about cars or don't have a reason to buy something that powerful.
And a 507hp 7-speed paddle shift car is meant to do one thing very well, cover long distances at very high speeds. I don't anticipate that many will appreciate it very much around town.
As a BMW guy and the owner of an 01 M5 that I love, I have a couple thoguhts:
I am impressed with the V and even more impressed after a test drive. It does not make me want to get rid of my M5, but if I had to get a new car, the V would be it. The affordability of modding for power is perhaps the best thing of all about the V. You can also mod an M5 for power, but it costs huge money.
As the upcoming 05 M5, while I admire the engine and its handling capabilities, it is just plain too ugly to drive. Bloated and odd looking. Bigger than the previous 5 in all dimensions. Did I mention bloated and odd looking?
Also the cost of the new M5, while not yet know for sure, is going to be upwards of 80K, which makes the V seem like a better deal.
There is no doubt in my mind that the upcoming 05 M5 will be an awesome machine, but I just can't get over the ugly.
The CTS is not all the pretty either, but a V in black does look pretty good. I am really looking forward to seeing how the V will look once there are some decent aftermarket wheel choices out there. It is fun to lurk on this site since the V is just starting out and all the fun stuff, like seeing B&B develop the exhaust system, reminds me of when the E39 5 series came out in 96/97 and when the M5 hit the US in 2000.
Thanks for a great place to lurk. I may get a V in a couple years, or I may just have to keep my 01 M5 forever. No disrepsect intended, but the E39 M5 (00 to 03) is one hell of a car.
Yes, it would be more fitting today to compare it against the E39 , the CTS V that is. And i had intended to put that in my original post until i fully read what the comparison was about. Both cars are truely awesome machines.