CTS-V vs. GTO
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS-V vs. GTO in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; What do you guys think of the Pontiac GTO? The 05 model is going to have the same specs as ...
    argoldst is offline Cadillac Owners Member

cts-v vs. GTO

What do you guys think of the Pontiac GTO? The 05 model is going to have the same specs as the V and it is 20k less!!!

I test drove it on Saturday and I have to say that I was thoughly impressed.

The GTO has no "toys"(navi, xm, etc.) but does have the most comfortable seats I ever sat in, in ANY car.

I have a deposit on a 05 v but I am thinking of changing over. Your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Chuck C is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: cts-v vs. GTO

I'll tell ya...I really like the interior of the GTO...leaps and bounds nicer looking than the CTS (hint to GM, yet ANOTHER complaint about the ugly interior of the CTS). I've read many sources that suggest the V is more nimble, plus I like the exterior styling more. SO are you ready to pony up an extra 20K for a similar car? For '04, the GTO was differentiated enough from the V to give Cadillac stellar sales of all Vs produced. In '05, that may be a different story.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If you want a pure muscle car, GTO. If you want an American M5, CTS-V.

You can get your kids to soccer practice alot easier in a V.

Geno is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Orginal owner; 2004 CTS-V

It all depends on what you want. Just remember, there will be a GTO in every town in America (probably lots of GTO's). As for the "V", does the term "blue moon" mean anything to you.

So yes you pay more, but you get all the extras and exclusivity.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned styling yet.
    The CTS has it in spades. The GTO is like everything else... very bland bodystyle.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

When you add the goodies on the V that simply aren't available on the GTO, the V is a bargain in comparison. 14" 4-piston Brembos, tire pressure monitors, moonroof, navigation, On$tar, heated seats, LS6, StabiliTrak, g-meter, etc.....

The GTO is arguably a worthy replacement for the Camaro/Firebird but it is not in the same German sedan fighter class as the V.

For the record, I must be one of the minority that likes the V interior since everyone else hates it.

bryce3 is offline BAD EMAIL ADDRESS

I just got my reflash done today at the local GM dealer and they had a black GTO w/ a 6spd. there. So I'm waiting in the service area shooting it with the tech's and I ask all about the goat. Now these guys see every GM performance car out there and in there opinion the V is leaps and bounds better than the GTO. I guess it comes down to what you prefer, basic cable or digital with the ultra deluxe package????
    -Sean

doc-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

gotta agree with gothicaleigh
    its a suped up neon
    if you want to save 20K, go for it tho
    hell the srt-4 will even go 0-60 under 6 sec.

Dreamin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 V

Come one.. the GTO is a great looking car...

lasstss is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Thats not far off. Just a little shorter. I checked one out at the local cruise. Great interior. Really tough to get in that back seat. Just like a camaro, a little more leg room though.

Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

If performance specs are all you care about, then the GTO is a better value for sure. That said the GTO rides on a chassis that is a whole generation older than the CTS-V (The old Catera platform actually), and as mentioned above lacks all the goodies and features that make a CTS-V a good value. The GTO's trunk is worthless, the back seats are impossible to get into, and despite being a two door, it weighs almost as much as the V too. The V has a nicer interior (higher quality materials that are more firm and solid to the touch), and comes standard with everything that a GTO doesn't even offer as an option.

I do like the idea of a 2005 LS2 GTO, but the V still appeals to me as the better car all facts considered. AS for styling, I can't say that I love the look of the CTS-V, but a least it makes some sort of s statement, while the GTO just fades into the background and begs to be ignored.

The GTO is a good car, don't get me wrong, but I think the CTS-V is worth the price premium. I think the only thing I can really fault the CTS-V on is the stigma of driving a Caddy, and the fact the interior, while nice, isn't as nice as the Merc CLK or audi S4. Minor criticisms to be sure.

-Adam

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

"" the stigma of driving a Caddy ""

There is a stigma of driving a Caddy? Would that be a "good" stigma or a "bad" stigma? I dunno, when i was in my 20s & early 30's I aspired to
    own & drive a Cadillac. That dream came true in 1988, again in 1993. Then, well I sorta went off to Lincoln, as I wanted RWD. Still own, drive, show and pamper my 9,000 mile '93 Sixty Special, so, I am not aware of any negitive stigma. Maybe positive...

illumina is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '98 Buick Regal LS - '91 Caddy Seville - '87 Caddy Seville!

i say that both cars are fine. i like the GTO's price range and performance, and i like the CTS' stlying and refinement. both are fine looking in my book. and i should also mention that both cars are exellent performers on the road. but in the end, i would go for the caddy...

ctsvinman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

guys, I must say the the GTO does blend in and to me kind of (I say kind of because this pains even me to say)...looks like a Cavelier or even worse.... a Hyundai or some other vehicle that fits in that category.

Don't get me wrong, I would drive a GTO if 2 doors and a small back seat with excellent GM perfomance were all I cared about. (I had a 98 SS purchased new and sold last year).

For the record I am NOT saying it's an ugly vehicle by any means, again I would drive one, but the simpliest way to put it.....it just does nothing visually to differentiate itself from so may other mid sized 2 doors out there.

Needing a 4 door, I have no choice but to go with the 2005 V.

Not sure why so many people think the interior of the V is ugly, looks fine to me. Have you seem the "busy" dash board in the new Bonneville...? Talk about ugly.

VinMan out

PS: I hope I didn't offend any GTO owners, that was not the point.

Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    "" the stigma of driving a Caddy ""

There is a stigma of driving a Caddy? Would that be a "good" stigma or a "bad" stigma? I dunno, when i was in my 20s & early 30's I aspired to
    own & drive a Cadillac. That dream came true in 1988, again in 1993. Then, well I sorta went off to Lincoln, as I wanted RWD. Still own, drive, show and pamper my 9,000 mile '93 Sixty Special, so, I am not aware of any negitive stigma. Maybe positive...
    Well pretty much every car has some sort of stigma. Being from Florida and living in Georgia now that "stigma" is very much of a 20mph, won't turn off his damn blinker, silver hair, moved to Florida as he waits to die, ready to retire senior. In Georgia the Stigma is "Yo, Gangsta got the Bling! You biatch, check dem spinnas". But hey I own a Trans Am which has a much stronger Red-Neck Stigma so it would be a bit of an upgrade for me

Other stigmas:
    BMW: Hi I'm a ***** and my car is god, all other cars suck and should get off the road.
    Audi: Chris Bangel is the devil, BMW's suck, all other cars are tooo gregarious and lack the all powerful AWD.
    Mercedes: (High End) I make $100K a year and believe that makes me rich.
    Mercedes (Low End) I make $40K a year but want something that makes me look like I make $100K a year.
    Ferrari: Neuvo Rich
    Aston: Old Money
    Volvo: My wife won't loan me my balls so I can buy something fun.
    Pontiac: Hi I'm white Trash!
    Dodge Neon: Hi I'm friendly White Trash
    Dodge Neon SRT4: Hi I'm an annoying kid that comes from White Trash
    Ford: Time to go out into the fields and plant some crops
    I could go on but you get the point, every car has a stigma (good and bad), it just happens that the Caddy stigma is pretty strong down here and the CTS-V is a bit of a break from the mold.

DISCLAIMER: the above was meant as a joke, if I offended you with said joke you really need to step back and reconsider your sensitivitiy levels.

-Adam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.