CTS-V vs. GTO - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS-V vs. GTO in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; You omitted the world's first sport utility wagon, the American Motors (AMC) Eagle Wagon and the Corvette ! .I think ...
    Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Re: cts-v vs. GTO

You omitted the world's first sport utility wagon, the American Motors (AMC) Eagle Wagon
    and the Corvette ! .I think (being serious now) that we are all by-products of our formative teenage years. Growing up, we lived in a very wealthy town, however this town of 20,000 residents also had a poor side (that of course boardered upon a much, much poorer area. We were like a dozen homes over into the wealthy town, so...we had "THE" address, without the typical home and/or income. I recall being 15/16 and watching all the kids of the rich being dropped of at school (Jr & Sr High) in the AM in Dad's & Mom's Cadillacs, Imperials, and Lincolns. Granted, I was a car-nut and these cars impressed me, greatly. I wanted one, as well. The ~HOT~ cars of the day, the muscle cars were okay, but the body temperture only rose a couple of degrees over them. However, when a black LeBaron, Fleetwood or Continential cruised in, I melted. This "stigma" never left me. My 1st car (at age 26 (I earned the $$ for it) was a 1972 Imperial LeBaron, followed by a 1973 Coupe DeVille and since then there have been 4 Imperials, 3 Cadillacs & 3 Lincolns. All through my 20s, 30's, 40's I drove that type of car.
    I guess you might say, "First impressions die hard" ~ When I was in my late 20s & early 30's I was always defending my purchase to friends driving the HOT car of the day. Now, that we are all into our 50s, they have caught up to me But, I have remained loyal to the domestics, while they are more inarmoured with the German/Japanese/Swedish offerings, to a great extent. I wish Caddy would bring back the Fleetwood name, and that Chrysler would re-enter the luxury class, with a killer car like the rumored Cadillac 16.

Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy
    You omitted the world's first sport utility wagon, the American Motors (AMC) Eagle Wagon
    and the Corvette ! .I think (being serious now) that we are all by-products of our formative teenage years.
    Totally agree. Growing up in Florida, "nice" cars were fun to drive low utility sports cars and Muscle cars. The "out of towners" and tourist were typically older and drove Caddys & Lincolns.

I guess I'm a young Buck on this site since I'm in my 30's, but I have a history of buying American Muscle cars, and in recent years have really enjoyed more utilitarian cars that are still "fun" Like the Audi S4 and BMW M5. Most of my friends have Bimmers and Mercs in "M" or AMG spec, but with my American performance roots the new CTS-V is tugging on my heart strings like no Caddy has done previously. In that reguard Caddy is doing a good job of pulling me into the fold and away from the Germans. Right now I have a Lincoln Town car as a "Salesman's" beater, a 1998 TA with 0 RWHP (Blew out a wrist pin earlier this summer) and a CBR-600RR rice rocket. The CTS-V would be a good way of getting two cars out of the driveway for me.

At any rate, I moved to Atlanta 6 years ago which is a very superficial "LA wannabe" type town in many ways. Most of the Caddys here are "all Bling'ed out" with 22" rims and Chrome Spinners.

b4z
    b4z is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 Standard SrX grey/black

I test drove a GTO several weeks ago and here are my observations:
    Remember I own a SRX which is a Sigma based vehicle and GM's most
    up to date platform.

The steering was very light. I was expecting more effort. It felt more like a luxury sedan's steering than a GT.

The brakes had long pedal travel and felt a little soft.

The body structure was not in the same league as a Sigma.
    It felt pretty good overall but there was some cowl flex when I crossed a curb.

probably not fair to ask a late '90s designed Pontiac to feel like a a new cadillac but I was not blown away by the GTO.

The '05 GTO interests me but the CTS-V is a better vehicle.
    The GTO is 17K less, which is a good selling point.

Trilio is offline Cadillac Owners Member

There should be no comparison between the GTO and the V. They are totally different cars that happens to be sold by the same corporation and share the same engine block. Both are great cars in their own right but very differerent in their market segment and category. I prefer the V because of its style, refinement, exclusivity, interior accomodations AND interior. [ I guess I'm in the minority but I love the under stated class of the V's interior.] This car is my perfect car but the GTO is great too, just very different.

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

I like both the GTO and the CTS-V, but my wallet likes the GTO. You know, most wallets never get to enjoy exclusiveness.

Actually, the STS-V is my choice, but forget about it!!!$$$$!!!$!$$!$

argoldst is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I have read more on the 05 changes for the GTO and really I am shocked.

The only difference (minus styling opinion) now between V and GTO is side airbags, remember seat settings, climate control, bigger trunk w/ rear folding chairs, XM radio, and Onstar.

I really want the V but I don't know if the above is really worth 15k to 20k more

I need help making a decsion before I hit the :drinker

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Every road test I have seen says the GTO is not in the same class handeling wise as the V. They say the GTO is not a very tight car and you can feel all 3800#;s of it while cornering. Minus out 2 less doors and the DVD/NAV and a few other things, not to mention who says the V will not get a HP bump as well for 06, in fact it MUST get a hp boost in 06.

Shinkaze is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by argoldst
    I have read more on the 05 changes for the GTO and really I am shocked.

The only difference (minus styling opinion) now between V and GTO is side airbags, remember seat settings, climate control, bigger trunk w/ rear folding chairs, XM radio, and Onstar.

I really want the V but I don't know if the above is really worth 15k to 20k more

I need help making a decsion before I hit the :drinker
    All I can say is drive them both and you'll quickly see where the difference in price comes into play. The GTO rides on the Older Omega Chassis (i.e. Cadillac Catera), while the CTS-V rides on the Sigma, so the Caddy is a whole generation newer. Plus the Caddy has 4 doors, a real trunk, many more options, nicer materials in both seating and other interio componets, all for about the same weight as the GTO.

Keep in mind too that 2006 will be the last year of this GTO, as GM is making a Zeta platform GTO in 2007, so if you buy a new GTO now expect to see your car depreciate like a rock when the 2007s come out.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: CTS-V vs. GTO

This really stinks. I only go in the CTSV section on this board. We are comparing the V to a GTO, ie: some people may be on the fence on spending the extra $$ to buy the V. It is totally V related and very relevant to the V only section. If we had to get our own section because CTS owners wanted their own section, why are you subjecting the entire board to have to read about this in the general section?

Sorry, you guys do a good, yet thankless job, but I think your wrong on this one.

AussieHolden is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkaze
    All I can say is drive them both and you'll quickly see where the difference in price comes into play. The GTO rides on the Older Omega Chassis (i.e. Cadillac Catera), while the CTS-V rides on the Sigma, so the Caddy is a whole generation newer. Plus the Caddy has 4 doors, a real trunk, many more options, nicer materials in both seating and other interio componets, all for about the same weight as the GTO.

Keep in mind too that 2006 will be the last year of this GTO, as GM is making a Zeta platform GTO in 2007, so if you buy a new GTO now expect to see your car depreciate like a rock when the 2007s come out.
    The GTO is not off the Omega line. And Zeta has been built by Holden.

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Its a modified V-Platform right now(yes the catera/omega had this but this version is pretty different)... but soon to be Zeta.. which is a mix of the Sigma and the V platform. By Holden, as AussieHolden said.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Check out these links:

http://www.media.gm.com/division/200...gto/index.html

http://www.honda-acura.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=150675

The '05 GTO will be kickin some serious you know what. From all the preliminary reports on the '05 Corvette, this LS2 is about as smooth and docile at idle and low speeds as a BMW, but turns into a giant monster when you hit the gas.

If you really need the heated seats, extra passenger room, and navigation system (I still don't think anyone who needs a navigation system for every day driving should be on the road), the V is for you. If you want pure muscle, performance, and could care less about the frills of a yaw meter and memory seat, the GTO is the way to go.

ben72227 is offline Banned

Aside from the powertrain, the GTO doesn't impress me. It looks well....bland... kind of like comparing a Shelby Mustang to a modern day Mustang....its just not nearly as good looking of a car. and if im riding a car thats as "good" as the GTO is supposed to be, i want to look like it. I want my GTO to be like the old ones; i want a JUDGE. I DON'T want to look like im driving a Chevy Cavalier knock-off. The CTS-V has a N* and thats good for me. Plus, its a Cadillac.

And, IMHO a Pontiac will never, ever carry the stigma that Cadillac carries. And for those who think Caddy has a 'old-man's car' stigma; maybe if im driving a '91 Seville Sedan thats true. But if im driving an '05 CTS-V with a N*, its quite different.

P.S. for those who were offended by my Mustang comments, i will say that the NEW Mustang looks quite impressive (from a visual stand point) compared to the current '04 model. But, i also must say that no matter how good it looks, you will never catch me in a Fix Or Repair Daily car. I'd rather drive a Honda than be caught dead in a Malibu MExx or whatever the hell its called.

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by ben72227
    Aside from the powertrain, the GTO doesn't impress me. It looks well....bland... kind of like comparing a Shelby Mustang to a modern day Mustang....its just not nearly as good looking of a car. and if im riding a car thats as "good" as the GTO is supposed to be, i want to look like it. I want my GTO to be like the old ones; i want a JUDGE. I DON'T want to look like im driving a Chevy Cavalier knock-off. The CTS-V has a N* and thats good for me. Plus, its a Cadillac.

And, IMHO a Pontiac will never, ever carry the stigma that Cadillac carries. And for those who think Caddy has a 'old-man's car' stigma; maybe if im driving a '91 Seville Sedan thats true. But if im driving an '05 CTS-V with a N*, its quite different.

P.S. for those who were offended by my Mustang comments, i will say that the NEW Mustang looks quite impressive (from a visual stand point) compared to the current '04 model. But, i also must say that no matter how good it looks, you will never catch me in a Fix Or Repair Daily car. I'd rather drive a Honda than be caught dead in a Malibu MExx or whatever the hell its called.
    the ctsv does not have a northstar engine.

AussieHolden is offline Cadillac Owners Member

This Monaro (GTO) car is no knock off from anything. It's in it's 4 series here in OZ. The shape has not been changed, Only updates inside and fron't minor rear very minor.
    We have options galor here. Now ponitac only took what they wanted so you can't blame the car blame them. the GTO looks better with no rear wing anyway.
    We have millions of ideas pontiac could have took, But didn't. The UK now get the car and have it in 2 versions standard and HSV model that's what pontiac should have done. I'll bring some pics if you guys havent seen them yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.