Cadillac Vs. Chrysler : CTS Vs. 300 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac Vs. Chrysler : CTS Vs. 300 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Really I do not understand 300C to CTS, A Bonneville GXP with the North Star engine is the same size ...
    airbalancer is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Cadillac Vs. Chrysler : CTS Vs. 300

Really I do not understand 300C to CTS,
    A Bonneville GXP with the North Star engine is the same size and cost
    From an early post

In Canada the Bonneville SE bases at $34,500 and the GXP base with the Northstar is $46,200
    The 300 base $31,500 and the 300C base $44,220
    This would be a fair between car of the same price and size

300c GXP
    Engine displacement 5.7L 4.6L

Engine horsepower 340hp @ 5,000RPM 275hp @ 5,600RPM

Engine torque 390ft.lbs. @ 4,000RPM 300ft.lbs. @ 4,000RPM

Engine bore x stroke 99.6mm x 90.9mm (3.92" x 3.58") 93.0mm x 84.0mm (3.66" x 3.31")

Compression ratio 9.60 to 1 1 0.00 to 1

Max. towing capacity when properly equipped 907kg (2,000lbs) 454kg (1,001lbs)

Exterior length 4,999mm (196.8") 5,146mm (202.6")

Exterior body width 1,882mm (74.1") b1,885mm (74.2")

Exterior height 1,483mm (58.4") 1,438mm (56.6")

Wheelbase 3,048mm (120.0") 2,850mm (112.2")

Front legroom 1,061mm (41.8") 1,082mm (42.6")

Rear legroom 1,021mm (40.2") 965mm (38.0")

Front headroom 983mm (38.7") 983mm (38.7")

Rear headroom 965mm (38.0") 947mm (37.3")

Front hiproom 1,450mm (57.1") 1,415mm (55.7")

Rear hiproom 1,419mm (55.9") 1,433mm (56.4")

Front shoulder room 1,508mm (59.4") 1,499mm (59.0")

Rear shoulder room 1,465mm (57.7") 1,483mm (58.4")

Passenger volume 3,018L (106.6 cu.ft.) b2,939L (103.8 cu.ft.)

Campare the # from Autodata and you can see from price point and size the 300 should be compared to the Bonneville andnot CTS and STS.

Why do people compare an 300 to CTS please tel me WHY?

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

I agree with the above post, Cadillac doesnt really have a direct 300C competitor, and at 50 large for the only way to get a V8, the 300C looks better on paper at least.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    The best? Ever?
    You live a deprived life. That's all I have to say.

Dont take it wrong.....lol.....Ive driven Benzes, we have a Bimmer......and Ive driven Q45's........and when I say the best Ive driven Im really saying it in a comparative manner....meaning price....amenities....way it drives for its price all gets into the equation......its alot of car for the money....and its the best example of that...ive ever driven......remember im only 16 too.....so i dont get to drive expensive cars everday.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Next person to compare the 300C to the PT Cruiser will get backhanded.

Do you like it that much???? HAHAHA..............im just sayin that people could car less about the PTCruiser now.......and it was the hit back then........I think the 300 will age just like it.......it'll have a following but the majority of the public will quit noticing it after a couple.

Have you guys gotten the new car & driver?????? It compares the Crown Vic (of all cars) against the bonny V8......and the 300C...........it ends by claiming the 300 the victor by far.......and they really beat down on the bonny because of its highest as tested price and crappy interior.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Out of those three, I agree that the 300C is the hands down winner. The Crown Victoria has to be one of the most archaic cars on the road today, and the Bonneville suffers from being FWD (and a Pontiac ) which even the fabled Northstar isn't going to fix (and is 10 year old Northstar technology really that impressive anymore?). To compete with the 300C in my opinion, it would need RWD and the 320hp VVT N* at the very least.

As for the comparison, I completely agree that the 300 shouldn't be compared to the CTS. But it keeps happening.

Anyone have the numbers from the last Road&Track (I seem to have misplaced mine) where they compare the V6 versions of the CTS and the 300?

The 3.6L VVT V6 CTS comes out way ahead of the 300 V6.

The 3.2L V6 (base engine) CTS could probably outrun the base V6 300 in reverse. That one does 0-60 in over 10 seconds. There are full size farm trucks that would give it problems.

The only 300 worth buying in my opinion is the Hemi C version. Without that engine, it loses much of it's charm. In premium mode, the 300 is the best bang you can get for the buck, the rest of the lineup is just 'more of the same' from Chrysler.

Agree totally......as the CTS to 300.....well alot of buyers look at looks and price only....those are the ones that compare them.....

Agree also on the 300C......the base model should be droped.....with the concorde taking its place.....Chrysler is a tad more upscale then other american companies such as Chevy/Ford/Mercury............and by having that crappy 2.7 in the engine bay it takes away from the guy who has a 5.7.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

*backhands gothicaleigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954
    Do you like it that much???? HAHAHA..............im just sayin that people could car less about the PTCruiser now.......and it was the hit back then........I think the 300 will age just like it.......it'll have a following but the majority of the public will quit noticing it after a couple.
    I like the 300, I violently despise the PT cruiser. There are few cars that make me wince when I see them on the road, but the PT Cruiser is the worst. The ONLY thing PT had going for it was styling (and not everyone liked it), other than that it was an expensive, cramped neon with a differant ass. The 300 has less extreme styling and alot more than just styling going for it.

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

the only thing that makes the 300C better is RWD. the base price for the 300C w/o the hemi is 23k. thats less than half of what the CTS costs. and not everybody races their cars and need big engines. and the 300C has a lot more interior room. of course chrysler will always be the wanna be Cadillac. but i would much rather have the chrysler (until Cadillac goes back the rear wheel drive, thats what in 08?)

Randy_W is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 93fleetwoodlowlow
    the only thing that makes the 300C better is RWD. the base price for the 300C w/o the hemi is 23k. thats less than half of what the CTS costs. and not everybody races their cars and need big engines. and the 300C has a lot more interior room. of course chrysler will always be the wanna be Cadillac. but i would much rather have the chrysler (until Cadillac goes back the rear wheel drive, thats what in 08?)
    I don't know how to break the news to you, but the CTS is REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!

RBraczyk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I would like everyone to take a second and look at weight. Somethin tells me that 300C is much heavier than the CTS.

Chrysler 300 - 3721 lbs.
    Chrysler 300C - 4046 lbs.

Cadillac CTS 3.6L - 3694 lbs.
    Cadillac CTS-V - 3847 lbs.

As for the difference in performance?
    Remember that the CTS has 5 gears to the 300's 4, and puts out a decent amount of more horse when compared V8 to V8 and V6 to V6.
    Also, the Sigma chassis is one of the most advanced in the world. No surprise on the handling difference.

the only thing that makes the 300C better is RWD.
    As mentioned above, the CTS is RWD.

The base price for the 300C w/o the hemi is 23k. Thats less than half of what the CTS costs.
    The base V6 300 doesn't have enough power to get out of it's own way. The CTS starts at about $30k for a base model and goes to around $43k. Hardly 'less than half'.
    The only way you can get less than half is if you consider the CTS-V price, but for it's $50k, you're getting 3 times the car of the base 300.

But i would much rather have the chrysler (until Cadillac goes back the rear wheel drive, thats what in 08?)

How about 1997. That's when the Catera came out in RWD.
    2003 - CTS in RWD
    2004 - XLR and SRX in RWD
    2005 - STS in RWD
    2008 - DTS in RWD

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

the new caddies are to small for me. i only drive big body rwd cars. thats just how i like em. i guess i didnt pay attention to the CTS being rwd. and Cateras are too small.

DVDT is offline Cadillac Owners Member

My next car will probably be either a CTS-V or a 300C SRT-8. I think this is a fair comparison because they are both V8 RWD high performance 4 door sedans that are likely to be similarly priced.

I currently drive an '03 CTS with the lux/sport package. I like the car very much. The looks have grown on me, but the ride and handling are really great for what the car is.

I rented a 300C for 3 days two weeks ago and was very impressed. The car accelerated well, though did not feel as quick as I had hoped. It also drove very well for such a big car. It felt tied to the road, but again not as much as I had hoped. In one of the recent car mags, the author of the article complained that the car was a bit too harsh or stiff. I don't see that at all and wish that it were more so. It did not feel at all as athletic as my CTS. I could not feel what it was doing as easily. Also, there was a kind of rubbery feel to the car as it went over uneven pavement. Going over similar pavement, the CTS transmits more harshness, but to me in a good way. I feel like I know exactly what the CTS is doing and where the limit is. I am hoping that the SRT-8 version of the car feels much better.

The 300C felt much much larger inside and much more high end. To me, the interior is a lot classier looking than my CTS. I say that based on visual impact and on the feel of the surfaces. Also, the 300C had a lot more electronic toys such as bluetooth. I think also just the size and space of the interior gave it a more expensive feel.

I also like the exterior styling of the 300C SRT-8 better than the CTS-V. I like them both a lot, but there is just something about the SRT-8 that just grabs me.

I test drove a CTS-V a few days ago too. It really impressed me too. The ride and handling compromise I think is perfect for the type of car that it is. It does a superb job of making me feel in control of the car. At the same time it rides much smoother than a BMW M3 (which I have also test driven). Add to that the punch of the engine and wow! Acceleration wise, it felt very strong, to the point of being explosive or scary if you don't watch it.

My toy is a '99 Viper. I enjoy that car very much and drive it strictly for fun. The CTS handling and acceleration are no comparison to it, but if I HAD to drive the Viper every day...... it would get old in a hurry.

My daily commute is through a major city. It is nearly all freeway. In the morning it is 30 to 80+ mph. On the way home however, you never know what you will get. I can generally plan on at least 2 to 3 days per week of stop and go sub 10 mph traffic for at least 30 minutes one way. Driving a stick in this type of traffic gets to be a real pain after a few weeks. Is there any talk of an automatic CTS-V coming out?

So.... CTS-V or 300C SRT-8?

In summary:

300C SRT-8 plusses over CTS-V (for me):
    More room inside
    More luxury
    Higher quality feel
    Auto trans option
    Exterior looks
    425 hp 6.1L Hemi (I have a soft spot for Mopars)

CTS-V plusses over 300C SRT-8 (for me):
    Superior ride and handling balance (making an assuption here)
    Superior handling
    Manual trans fun factor for times other than stop and go traffic
    Lighter weight
    More manuverable car (I have to parallel park a lot)
    More of a young man's car image
    Superior chassis
    Superior fit and finish
    It is a Cadillac (the name now has value to me again)
    400 hp LS6 (which to me is more attractive than an LS2)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.