Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT? - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by Pimpin_Whity a z06 corvette has leaf springs and it beats the 911 turbo to a pulp on ...
    fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT?

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin_Whity
    a z06 corvette has leaf springs and it beats the 911 turbo to a pulp on the track, and i'm sure an "outdated" nascar would beat any of porches race cars too, old doesn't mean bad. and since when did porche start out as a "pure race car company", their first intentions were to build a light compact car with nice handling for the masses, so u need to study ur history and stop abusing ford because a magazine says that "american car companies are crap, the mustang is crap, the vette is crap, and we dont even get why they sitill try to make those crappy ass cadillacs? they have such bad chasis design and supsension that they manage to accelerate just as fast as better RWD german cars that are lighter and have more BHP *cough*540i*cough*". i'm not saying porche sucks here, but u're taking it too far. i mean ferarri and lambo? they are by themselves at the top and nothing could ever thouch them.
    If you can't admit that Porsche is in a completely different leage from any Ford product (including the GT), then I think you are the one taking it too far.

Read this month's issue of C&D about the Dodge Intrepid NASCAR. That's essentially what's under the skin of Mark Martin's Tarus as well, since NASCAR is so rediculously regulated.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Why exactly do you see Lamborghini and Ferrari in a class above Porsche? I can understand Ferrari, (a company built by racing prodigy, Enzo Ferrari) and it's long history of legendary track performance, but Lamborghini?

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin Whity
    so u need to study ur history
    Ferruccio Lamborghini started his company building tractors and only got into sport cars because his hobby was modifying Fiats.

bad chasis design and supsension
    Ah, but we have Sigma now.
    Arguably the best platform in the world.

they manage to accelerate just as fast as better RWD german cars that are lighter and have more BHP *cough*540i*cough*".
    I think you're missing the whole point of that car. It's not a drag racer.

As for NASCAR, I never understood why so many people flock to watch such boring cars lap circles in formation while there are so many true racing genres that go largely ignored. Watch a season of F1 or Speed World Challenge and you will see what I mean. NASCAR is over-rated.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Would you buy a Cayenne after the recalls and quality issues. Do you think the Cayenne hurt Porsches image?
    I wouldn't have bought a Cayenne before the safety recalls. Especially not when the SRX kicks it's a$$ in just about every way.

Porsche made a lot of long time fans angry when they announced the Cayenne. The recalls have only compounded this problem.
    But, in today's automotive market companies need to do what they can to survive. I would rather see Porsche release an SUV than cease to exist all together...

BTW, have you seen the rumored designs for Porsche and Ferrari four door sedans? Those will shake a few things up if released...

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    I wouldn't have bought a Cayenne before the safety recalls. Especially not when the SRX kicks it's a$$ in just about every way.

Porsche made a lot of long time fans angry when they announced the Cayenne. The recalls have only compounded this problem.
    But, in today's automotive market companies need to do what they can to survive. I would rather see Porsche release an SUV than cease to exist all together...

BTW, have you seen the rumored designs for Porsche and Ferrari four door sedans? Those will shake a few things up if released...
    I haven't seen the rumoured photos of those I'm afraid, but I'm not sure I'd want to? I tend to agree about the Cayenne. I like cayenne pepper in my smoothies because it helps clear my sinuses, but as far as owning one.... :rolleyes2. You probably know this, but Porsche is upping the horsepower in the Cayenne probably to hide the shame of problems it has had? (see link-go down about half way) My cousin is a pilot and a couple of his pilot friends have bought Cayennes because they have families, and they are trendy, however they are not satisfied with the overall fit and finish. I guess money doesn't always buy brains with regard to researching a vehicle before buying it, which is what I certainly would do!

As for a 4 door Ferrari, even if I was Bill Gates I couldn't get excited about it. It just seems wrong to me and if I was that desperate for a 4 door family vehicle and had lots of $$$$$ I would just buy a large SUV and be happy with it. The Ferrari purists will not like it. The Ferrari serves a purpose, and it should not be a family purpose. It should stick to tradition because if people are rich enough to be able to own one, then for the family they can/should just get a second vehicle for the family hauler?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156

Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

this is what i know of the history of Lambo, Ferrari and Porche.

Lambo:
    7 guys got together and decided to build a supercar. were the 1st to put the engine in the back of a SUPERCAR (not a regular car, not a truck, bus or suv...a SUPERCAR). they came out with the Miura, which is still considered by many to be the best looking car ever made till this day. so Lambo started out as a SUPERCAR company.

Ferrari:
    Enzo loves racing and wants to bring it to the masses...er, the rich masses that is. and make supercars that are as good looking as they are fast. so Ferrari starts out as a SUPERCAR company also.

Porche:
    i have no idea who (proably a guy whos name was Porche), want to make a car that is light, fast, great handling and affordable. so basically the 50's version of the lancer evo and the subie sti. well this one doesn't start out as a SUPERCAR company and doesn't really make one real SUPERCAR for the streets till this year.

all of this brings us to ford wich made some nice sports cars in the past (namely the mustang line). has alot of money in the racing industry and want to bring back the legend for the streets at a relatively affordable price. from my understanding a streetgoing legendary race car that's just as good (if not better) than the original has more prestige then a brand new model with a cute interior and looking like something ur wife might like. but it's just me.

BTW, u guys can feel free and correct me if i'm wrong about my facts and need to go back to history class

etcCanuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    As for NASCAR, I never understood why so many people flock to watch such boring cars lap circles in formation while there are so many true racing genres that go largely ignored. Watch a season of F1 or Speed World Challenge and you will see what I mean. NASCAR is over-rated.
    I also used to wonder what was so exciting about watching cars turn left for 3 hours, but when you really watch it, you find out how its the most competitive racing out there, its not just a car and a driver, it a whole team. The cars are heavily regulated, so advantages are made by small innovations, which is what racing is TRULY about!! When you look at the drivers in NASCAR, most of them have success in multiple types of racing, but NASCAR is the one that they stay, not too many successful NASCAR drivers flock to other types of racing, so there has to be something exciting about it.

Quote Originally Posted by fastball
    When you buy a Porsche 911 or Carrera 4 or pretty much any Porsche, the engine and suspension designs in the cars you can drive off the lot share quite a bit with their racing counterparts. You can really say they are rich with racing technology.

Can you say that about a Taurus?
    Whats amazing with all that "outdated technology" in the american sportcars (Viper, Corvette) , made by companies that also make pick-up trucks, they can still be competitive with the ultra high-tech race-parts filled Porsche!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etcCanuck
    Whats amazing with all that "outdated technology" in the american sportcars (Viper, Corvette) , made by companies that also make pick-up trucks, they can still be competitive with the ultra high-tech race-parts filled Porsche!!!!

Yeah, they are competitive with numbers, but lets be honest - a Porsche feels different than a Corvette. I've driven both. And I'll say that a Corvette feels very typical GM. Steering, brakes, throttle, they all feel, quite honestly, typically GM. The car is fast, and it sticks to the road, and you can pull 1 g on the skidpad, but the car just doesn't have that smooth, tight, refined, buttoned down, and linear feel of a 911, with just enough of a hint of oversteer to have more fun than should be legal taking corners.

but the car just doesn't have that smooth, tight, refined, buttoned down, and linear feel of a 911,
    The Vette doesnt have the over-inflated price tag either...

The Vette doesnt have the over-inflated price tag either...
    That's your opinion, you know, just like that other thing everyone has

To me (and plenty of people), a Corvette is pretty much what guys buy when they have a middle aged crisis or to try to prove to women that they don't have a small package.

A Porsche 911 is a car you buy because you are a true enthusiast who loves the thrill of playing with an engine at 5000 rpm all day, taking the curves utilizing the throttle and gearing instead of the brakes, and really don't want to look at an interior made my Fisher Price. Oh, yeah, there's a reason Porsche makes the tach the focal point of your instrument cluster.

That's your opinion, you know, just like that other thing everyone has

To me (and plenty of people), a Corvette is pretty much what guys buy when they have a middle aged crisis or to try to prove to women that they don't have a small package.

A Porsche 911 is a car you buy because you are a true enthusiast who loves the thrill of playing with an engine at 5000 rpm all day, taking the curves utilizing the throttle and gearing instead of the brakes, and really don't want to look at an interior made my Fisher Price. Oh, yeah, there's a reason Porsche makes the tach the focal point of your instrument cluster.
    lol, i was under the impression that it was the other way around. while some people do buy vettes just to have one, i see alot more people buying vettes because they are great cars and actually outperform any "high-tech" porche out there (with the exception of the Carrera GT). most people who buy a porche now are ither rich "oooo...i want a porche, now i can get all the girls even if i do look like Bill Gates that's been hit by a bus!" ore for their wife or girlfriend as a cute and expesive gift. while there are exception to this, i find this mostly ot be the case. i can probaly get better lap times on a stock v6 mustang on the track than some of those guys who drive porches, same goes for some of the guys who drive vettes too, but i find proche to have more of those.

and u said poeple in porches dont utilize brakes? u mean they stop by putting the car into reverse ore downshift to 1st at 120mph? i must be very much behind on todays sports car driving techniques, might u care to tell me how to drive without using any brakes. and about the interior, porche has really nice ones, it's just too bad i'll never experience it first hand. maybe i will, if i shrink a couple of feet so i can actually fit in one. cause unlike the corvette which has almost as much room as my ETC, the porche was made for rich migets i guess? but then again the point of the car was to be small, light and quick.

and another thing, what would happen to that 911 turbo if it had the same exact HP and Torque curve as the z06 vette? would it handle and stick to the road just as great under WOT acceleration? u guys are making the porche sound too nice, while all that u say was true in the 80's, it's very much different now. BMW doesn't have that stock stiff supension phenomenon that it had back then (mostly because other companies realized that most people wanted to hit their head on the roof of the car after every bump instead of having a comfy ride) and porche is not the ultimate handling non SUPERCAR u could buy today.

Most of the people that drive the porsches dont drive them like you describe, instead they buy them to prove to THEMSELVES they dont have a small package!!

Most of the people that drive the porsches dont drive them like you describe, instead they buy them to prove to THEMSELVES they dont have a small package!!
    that's what i said in my post, should have read it.

The bottom line is you get what you pay for with both cars.......

While they can both do things very similar, one does it with alot more sophistocation and finnesse than the other. To me a Corvette is just a 2 seat torque monster with really good tires, a historical nameplate, and an interior that my 8 year old nephew could do better designing. Which is what you get when you spend 45k.

A Porsche is soooo much more, to me it's worth the 80k and up sticker.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

and really don't want to look at an interior made my Fisher Price.
    You still play with Fisher Price toys Anyway, that's just a way to save a little money, and keep the costs down. There is a lot of plastic in the Porsche interior as well, but the only thing I can find at fault with the Vettes interior is the monotoneness of them. I prefer some differing colors, but plastic is plastic and people will still buy them for the performance and image. Some people might even feel a sense of patriotism and buy American, imagine that??!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.