Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Ford GT is not a race car, the GT 40 is :rolleyes2 well the Porche GT's (GT1 and GT2) are ...
    Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT?

Ford GT is not a race car, the GT 40 is :rolleyes2

well the Porche GT's (GT1 and GT2) are kinda supercars

but Ford GT is still a better looking car then the Carrera GT

etcCanuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    Face it, Porsche has spent it's time focusing on building world class high performance sports cars, while Ford has only played in this area up until now (and then only if you consider the Mustang world class) and lately has concentrated on being a truck manufacturer. It's not even a question who has the most experience in this area.

Ford probably spends more money on NASCAR then Porsche spends on its entire racing program. You cant say a company like Ford that was built on the success of racing doesnt have expertise in this area because they have a line of pick-up trucks (Which they also race!!!!!)

Here is a interesting comparison between the GT, GT3 and the Stradale

www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/pdf/11769_eprint.pdf

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Yeah, but NASCAR isn't real racing.... <ducks and runs>

Also, refer to my first post on this page. I never said that Ford doesn't go racing. I'm saying that it doesn't have experience in seeing cars of this caliber into production. There is a very large gap in between racing and building a street-ready production supercar.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Well, Ford built a street-ready production supercar, and you're just gonna have to live with it.

That they did.
    ...and it's a nice first effort. But it still isn't anywhere near the Carrera GT in my opinion.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

did you know the Carrera stops 60-0 in 124 feet
    my STS stops 60-0 in 126 feet

either i got great brakes or the Carreras are bellow marginal for that several hundred thousand dollar car. I would pic the Carrera though prob.

I was surprised by that too. Seems to be a major oversight by Porsche...
    My CTS sedan does it in 121 (and the CTS-V does it in 115ft). Something just doesn't seem right there...

Lade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

A friend of mine has a client who just bought then sold a Carrera GT(Black on Black) He buys and sells some the most amazing cars I've ever seen. I've sat in it and think its probably the most incredible supercar on the road today besides the Enzo and SLR. I saw Jay Leno in Hermosa Beach with his Ford GT, but was not as impressed as with the Porsche. The Ford is cool, but I would take the Porsche in a heartbeat.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Assuming you can afford the 450k, here's my opinion: when you walk into a dealership with the intent of buying a premium exotic, there's something about seeing a Focus or Windstar in the same showroom that's just a complete turnoff.

Part of owning a true exotic is not only the performance numbers, but the pedigree. Purity of design. Porsche's sole purpose for existance is now and has always been to design race cars first. That's how the company started, and at the heart of every one of their production cars is the history and lineage of their glorious race history.

Ford is, well, the bang for the buck. Yes, at 150k, you can't beat the GT. It's a very impressive car at that price, no doubt. I just have a perception issue with the same marque on the hood of my exotic as on my neighbor's family soccer mobile.

You want an exotic to have purity. The Carrera is really more in line with an Enzo or Murcielago.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by fastball
    You want an exotic to have purity. The Carrera is really more in line with an Enzo or Murcielago.
    Would you buy a Cayenne after the recalls and quality issues. Do you think the Cayenne hurt Porsches image?

Quote Originally Posted by etcCanuck
    Ford probably spends more money on NASCAR then Porsche spends on its entire racing program. You cant say a company like Ford that was built on the success of racing doesnt have expertise in this area because they have a line of pick-up trucks (Which they also race!!!!!)

Here is a interesting comparison between the GT, GT3 and the Stradale

www.fordvehicles.com/fordgt/pdf/11769_eprint.pdf

Here's the difference: about the only thing NASCAR vehicles and Ford's production vehicles share is the fact they have 4 tires and a steering wheel. Sure, Ford can spend all they want on their NASCAR vehicles, but does any of that technology show up in production? Or, worse yet, consider that NASCAR vehicles still are carburated, use pushrod designs, and have solid beam rear axles with trailing arms...... the same suspension designs as a 1964 Galaxie 500.

When you buy a Porsche 911 or Carrera 4 or pretty much any Porsche, the engine and suspension designs in the cars you can drive off the lot share quite a bit with their racing counterparts. You can really say they are rich with racing technology.

Can you say that about a Taurus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Would you buy a Cayenne after the recalls and quality issues. Do you think the Cayenne hurt Porsches image?

I'm sort of split on that issue. I think Porsche is softening their image (just a little) by offering an SUV.

Having said that, however, someone who wants a 911 or Carrera I don't think is going to be that turned off by the Cayenne. They aren't buying one, and Porsche didn't start out building family vehicles before they went racing. They're in it for the current SUV craze right now, and soccer Moms all over can say they own a Porsche. Fine.

It's actually a souped up VW Toureg anyway, so no biggie.

I'm just saying that the original intent for Ford was to be able to make a car affordable to everyone and anyone. Porsche's original intent was to build race cars, and if you could afford one, they'd make one for you.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I'm sort of split on that issue. I think Porsche is softening their image (just a little) by offering an SUV.

Having said that, however, someone who wants a 911 or Carrera I don't think is going to be that turned off by the Cayenne.
    I agree, and the Toureg had a lot of simple issues like brake lines rubbing on tires and leaking, etc. No excure for that IMO.

However, I have always thought of the old GT40 as exotic, and the new one should have been called the GT44 because it is supposedly exactly 44 inches total height from the ground. I'll still take a GT in red with white stripes to go please...

Quote Originally Posted by Lade
    A friend of mine has a client who just bought then sold a Carrera GT(Black on Black) He buys and sells some the most amazing cars I've ever seen. I've sat in it and think its probably the most incredible supercar on the road today besides the Enzo and SLR. I saw Jay Leno in Hermosa Beach with his Ford GT, but was not as impressed as with the Porsche. The Ford is cool, but I would take the Porsche in a heartbeat.
    and i have 10 Mclaren F1s to match my clothes

Here's the difference: about the only thing NASCAR vehicles and Ford's production vehicles share is the fact they have 4 tires and a steering wheel. Sure, Ford can spend all they want on their NASCAR vehicles, but does any of that technology show up in production? Or, worse yet, consider that NASCAR vehicles still are carburated, use pushrod designs, and have solid beam rear axles with trailing arms...... the same suspension designs as a 1964 Galaxie 500.

When you buy a Porsche 911 or Carrera 4 or pretty much any Porsche, the engine and suspension designs in the cars you can drive off the lot share quite a bit with their racing counterparts. You can really say they are rich with racing technology.

Can you say that about a Taurus?
    a z06 corvette has leaf springs and it beats the 911 turbo to a pulp on the track, and i'm sure an "outdated" nascar would beat any of porches race cars too, old doesn't mean bad. and since when did porche start out as a "pure race car company", their first intentions were to build a light compact car with nice handling for the masses, so u need to study ur history and stop abusing ford because a magazine says that "american car companies are crap, the mustang is crap, the vette is crap, and we dont even get why they sitill try to make those crappy ass cadillacs? they have such bad chasis design and supsension that they manage to accelerate just as fast as better RWD german cars that are lighter and have more BHP *cough*540i*cough*". i'm not saying porche sucks here, but u're taking it too far. i mean ferarri and lambo? they are by themselves at the top and nothing could ever thouch them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.