Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by HotRodSaint Crude and Ugly? You drive a CTS! ...which happens to be a better design (and so ...
    gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Re: Which Would You Prefer: Ford GT or Porsche Carrera GT?

Quote Originally Posted by HotRodSaint
    Crude and Ugly? You drive a CTS!

...which happens to be a better design (and so far more influential) than a Caprice with Caddy tail-lights.

J/K HRS... I understand that not everyone 'gets' the Art&Science design. It's daring in the way Cadillac used to be.

On topic:
    Why does the Ford GT command such a high price when it's performance numbers are so close to the Viper? Porsche and the europeans can get away with those premiums because you get an amount of luxury and complex body sculpture in return. That obviously isn't the case with the Ford GT, so why the astronomical price?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Are you kidding me? Asking why the GT40 can command such a high price, when the only thing the Porsche has going for it is its looks, which is completely subjective and some nice seats. And the Porsche is three times as astronomically priced as the GT40.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    Are you kidding me? Asking why the GT40 can command such a high price, when the only thing the Porsche has going for it is its looks, which is completely subjective and some nice seats. And the Porsche is three times as astronomically priced as the GT40.
    It's a Porsche. That's to be expected. Everything they make is over-priced.

Seeing as you guys don't consider the styling of a car into your money equation, here's the Porsche you should get if you're looking simply for 'bang for the buck' in Ford GT dollars:

Porsche 911 GT2
    $179,900
    0-60: 3.6 seconds
    0-100: 8.9 seconds
    1/4 mile: 11.9 @ 120.6 mph
    Top speed: 195 mph
    60-0: 116 ft.
    SkidPad: 1.02g
    Slalom: 68.7 mph

For comparison, the other two car's times from Road&Track:

Ford GT
    $149,900
    0-60: 3.8 seconds
    0-100: 8.8 seconds
    1/4 mile: 12.2 @ 121.6 mph
    Top speed: 190 mph
    60-0: 117 ft.
    SkidPad: 0.99g
    Slalom: 69.5 mph

Porsche Carrera GT
    $440,000
    0-60: 3.6 seconds
    0-100: 7.0 seconds
    1/4 mile: 11.3 @ 131.6 mph
    Top speed: 205 mph
    60-0: 124 ft.
    SkidPad: 0.99g
    Slalom: 71.1 mph

Also, if you look at these numbers you will see where the Carrera's extra money was spent. It's all in the top end. The power doesn't look like it ever stops when you see the 0-100 time and the 1/4 mile trap speed (not to mention that 205 mph top speed).

Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

this is a hard one but i'll take the Ford GT, i think it's the most beautiful car ever! but i'm not saying the Porche is ugly or anyting, just not as beautiful. plus Ford has performance to back it up

I guess the styling is subjective (and depends on whether or not you liked the shape of race cars in the 60's).

...but you suggest that the Carrera doesn't have performance to back it up?
    The R&T numbers I posted above show the Porsche with better performance. Especially in the high speed range which is a prerequisite for any supercar.
    TopGear also listed it at the top of their leader board above the GT.
    So I would say it really depends on your source on which one performs better (and speaks volumes about how evenly matched they are).

sorry, but female oppinoin is not counted while talking about car styling. "i like the pink one with the cute spinning thingies"

the porche (while being beautiful) still haas the everyday proche front end, which is a no-no for a car of that caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin_Whity
    sorry, but female oppinoin is not counted while talking about car styling. "i like the pink one with the cute spinning thingies"

the porche (while being beautiful) still haas the everyday proche front end, which is a no-no for a car of that caliber.
    You haven't looked at too many Porsches have you? While it may follow the same basic shape, it is far from 'the everyday Porsche front end'. That's like saying the XLR has 'the everyday CTS front end'. Believe me, Porsche has a little more experience building 'cars of that caliber' than Ford could ever hope to gain.

...and when was the last time you have ever heard me say I like 'the pink one with the spinny things'? I obviously don't need to belong to the manly woman-haters club to have better taste in automotive design than you.

i'm not a woman hater, i actually like women alot.
    porche doesn't have as much racing history as ford, especially a "carrera". u should be comparing F50 to GT 40, not a little cute sissy rich white boy mobile (i really hate to do this to porche, but i have to stand by one of the greatest cars in the world )

D148L0 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

i'm not a woman hater, i actually like women alot.
    porche doesn't have as much racing history as ford, especially a "carrera". u should be comparing F50 to GT 40, not a little cute sissy rich white boy mobile (i really hate to do this to porche, but i have to stand by one of the greatest cars in the world )

you guys are not looking beyond when you were 15 and started liking racing. one of the later Model-T Fords was the worlds first car to be modified for speed. yes Ford, not Porche (Porche didn't even exist yet, lol). i'm not trying to get at Porche in any way, they're one of my favorite sports cars, but u have to give credit where it's due. Ford practically started racing and car modding as we know it. of coarse kids now days don't know anyting (i don't mean u guys) and think that japan inveted racing and modding, which is ridiculous. some of u are implying that Porche has more racing history, while technically it didn't even exist while Ford's cars were already "racing".

You guys are not looking beyond when you were 15 and started liking racing.
    So by this you mean you can look back more than three whole years? Congratulations. I guess...

I originally said
    Believe me, Porsche has a little more experience building 'cars of that caliber' than Ford could ever hope to gain.
    That wasn't a reference to racing, by the way. I was pointing out Porsche's long history of making nothing but sport and supercars.

can u name one supercar besides the Carrera GT that Porche made. i would love to be enlightened!

911 GT1 and the 911 GT2 that I had mentioned before for starters...

the GT1 and GT2 are not supercars, they're stock "hoocked-up" versions of the 911 series. i mean supercars as in completely different porches, the GT3 and Mobydick dont count cause they're race cars.

...if the GT3 doesn't count because it is a 'race car', then why should the Ford GT?

The GT1 had a base price of $1,000,000 and the only parts it shared with the 'common' 911 was the roof and windshield. Everything else was re-engineered for the GT1. It also will outperform the Carrera GT and Ford GT and it was originally released 15 years ago! If that doesn't qualify it as a supercar, nothing will.

Face it, Porsche has spent it's time focusing on building world class high performance sports cars, while Ford has only played in this area up until now (and then only if you consider the Mustang world class) and lately has concentrated on being a truck manufacturer. It's not even a question who has the most experience in this area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.