94 FWB VS 93 Town Car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, 94 FWB VS 93 Town Car in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Here's the ultimate comparison of 2 very fine cars both RWD, but one can only be the winner. I actually ...
    SDCaddyLacky is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 94 Fleet Bro, 64 Deville. Past: 72 Sedan, 68 Coupe Deville

94 FWB VS 93 Town Car

Here's the ultimate comparison of 2 very fine cars both RWD, but one can only be the winner.

I actually own a 93 Town Car, and have been driving it for over a year now. I have done many repairs over the last year, including full front end rebuild, new shocks, new front coil springs, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, pitman arm and so on. New rear air springs, and shocks, basic maintenance and TLC.

This car has been good to me, it has never failed to start up and has never given me any major problems. These cars don't really have any mechanical isses, most of the problems tend to be electrical (typical in Fords), like the climate control system breaking down especially the Blend Door Actuator which every Town Car owner has problems with. Weak window regulators, and motors, lots of little maintenance stuff like cleaning out the EGR Channels, IAC valve, cleaning up the MAF sensor. Early 4.6 mod engines burn oil, and smoke over time because of cheap valve stem seals.

Ride= Town Cars have always been known to give a boaty floaty uneven ride. Well this is true. There's a difference between a nice floaty even controlled, comfortable ride, and the bad floaty, uncontrolled ride which the Town Car is.
    I always thought that my Townie rode great compared to other luxury cars, that was until I got the FWB!
    The Town Car rides nice on smooth even pavement, it's quiet, and silent most of the time, but when you drive over some seriously bad roads or slight dips in the road, this is where the Town Car fails. It has a hard time keeping on track and staying flat. Not to mention, it doesn't handle pot holes all to well. I took my TC and FWB on the this one really rough street where I live, I compared the 2 to see which one was the smoothest over that course pavement. The FWB easily won out, it totally completely rode over the bad street like if nothing was there! The TC on the other hand, shook, vibrated and transmitted all road harshness into the cabin, which made my dash board creek and crackle. Overall the ride is nice, but the Fleetwood is a much better riding car compared to the Town Car even though it uses Air Springs, the FWB just feels better and I like how the FWB stay flat on the road without all the wallowing and tossing in turning. Passengers can sleep comfortably on long trips in a 94 FWB without worrying about being disturb from hitting massive pot holes , because this car floats over them. The TC transmits too much of the road to feel comfortable on short commutes, plus the seats are not as comfy either when compared to the FWB.

Engine-Power-Performance= Lincoln came out with the 4.6 SOHC V8 in 91, this engine was advanced for it's time, mainly because it was distributor less, and it used coil packs. The engine is solid and reliable, but it lacks Torque to move heavy cars quickly. Lincoln never ever bothered to bump up the HP in Town Cars, I can't understand why they didn't do so, considering that Cadillac had engines touching 300 HP, while Townies were sitting at a measly 220. Even though the 4.6 is underpowered and lacks the beefiness of the 5.7 LT1, it's still a really smooth running engine, that's quickly responsive, and will never give you any trouble. The downside to all the positives about the mod motor, is that the transmissions are not great. Fords Transmissions suck period. (well maybe besides the C6 and older PCA FMX Cast iron trannys). They are not as smooth as Cadillac Tranny's, and are less reliable especially the AOD's and AODE's. You will always feel it shift into O/D or downshift when you don't want it to, unlike the FWB's 4L60E which is seemless and perfect.

Interior comfort, quality of materials, quietness:

Let me first say that Cadillac in the 90's beat out Town Cars when it came to quality of materials for interior trim. The 94 FWB is a great example.

My 93 TC, has lots of cheap plastic trim, that should never be in a luxury car that cost over 40 G's. The dash board is the worst offender, it always makes creeking sounds when it's hot out, like if the plastic is flexing or something, this goes for the A pillars as well, it creeks and cracks especially when ever I drive over rough streets.

Door panels are cheaply made, and are hard to touch. Controls for the power windows and seats, feel cheap and flimsy. Everything has a lightweightness to it, nothing feels particular solid. Even the steering wheels uses plastic on the face plate, and is small. TC of this vintage has major problems of the climate control buttons cracking and breaking apart because the quality of the plastic was low grade toy like. What's great about the TC interiors, is that they do look a little better than the FWB. The way the seat stitching is designed, to the dash layout, looks a little more classy and not as bland like the FWB. Though both have bland interiors, the TC wins for looking more stately.

The FWB has a much better quality interior, the doors are heavy, the door panels are soft to touch and actually have real stitching! All the arm rest controls feel nice and firm, not cheap like the Town Car, yeah these cars have the infamous dash board crack, but the overall seat quality and control knobs feel better. I just like the overall feel in the Cadillac, everything is tight, and solid in feel. The FWB has more comfortable interior, you sink into the seats, and feel as if they are cradling you, the leather is higher quality too. The arm rest compartment really comes in handy for many things, including a cool flip down cup holder that will hold just about any size cup.

Both cars are quiet, but the Caddy is even more silent. Due to the extra weight of the Cad, it doesn't allow much noise into the car. Maybe some wind noise, but road noise is less, because it probably used more sound denting materials.

Overall looks and appearance:

The Town Car looks very professorial, old mannish, business like, while the Caddy looks more cool, stylish, and flashy. Even though FWB looks whalish, it stands out, because it is so big, and all that chrome is hard to miss. The front end is what I like the most about the Cad, the metal bumpers, to the Cadillac wreath hood emblem, these cars are made to be looked at, going downtown to a night club in a 94 FWB would give you props, lots of stares and compliments, with loads of hot chicks dying to ride with you

This Caddy easily would makes a valet parking guy, run up to you and ask to park your car, without a second thought. Sure it attracts attention, but hey that's why we drive Caddys, right?

I can firmly say that this is the best car I have ever owned. Nothing rides, or is as comfortable today, like the 94 FWB. No Town Car, No Lexus, No BMW, nothing. All cars designed after 2000, were made for performance. American Car companies today, have totally forgotten about comfort. It's been about how many gadgets can we cram into this thing, or how fast can we go, every new car I have rode in, has hard seats. Not everyone likes hard stiff seats, but I guess the old sink in soft sofa like seats are outdated and old, and that wont fly in today's world of high performance luxury

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

inurok is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac STS-V Black/Black

Re: 94 FWB VS 93 Town Car

Drive a used BMW 745i and you will be eating your words. I have a 1995 town car and i enjoy driving it way more than my STS-V.....wth is the matter with me

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.