CTS vs TL - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, CTS vs TL in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Originally Posted by TX_SS it only requires 87 octane? regular? are u sure??? what if i put premium in there??? ...
    Skuuter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: CTS vs TL

Quote Originally Posted by TX_SS
    it only requires 87 octane? regular? are u sure??? what if i put premium in there??? would it hurt the engine? cuz in my manual says..it will make knockin noises...if i put regular....
    I don't know what manual you're reading, unless you managed to buy a 2004 with the 3.2 liter V6. Is yours a manual transmission? If so, then YES, you'll need to run Premium. If it's a 3.6 VVT, then regular will be just fine. Putting premium gas in an engine that doesn't require it is a waste of money.

fastball is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wow, guys, I've learned alot from this thread...... Thanks!

I can't wait to get my hands on a 6 speed 3.6 CTS. But I'm gonna wait till they hit the showroom floor..... I don't order cars, I buy what's on the lot. Even if I have to wait till next year or even the year after.

I've driven pretty much every car in the class and price range, and the 3.2 five speed manual I drove last year was a blast. More enjoyable than the 325i and A4 I drove. I could only imagine how the 6 speed with the 3.6 and variable valve timming will be.

Cadillac sure has a winner here. Keep it up, GM. There was a time not to long ago when I swore I'd never buy anything with a blue oval or square on it again...... but GM has really stepped up to the plate, and I'm a very harsh critic of cars.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

10,000 miles is just too long. Even if the oil resists breakdown...particles, bits, and other unwanted junk can circulate through the oil over time and cause extended damage to the engine. And the filter, being exposed to heat and pressure, needs to be changed at 3k anyway.

At worst, run the oil 6 mo, 6k. But change the filter every 3 months, 3k.

And yes, I run Mobil 1 (5w-40). Fresh oil with a Mobil 1 filter every 2700-2900 miles.

-Jesda

Skuuter is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda
    10,000 miles is just too long. Even if the oil resists breakdown...particles, bits, and other unwanted junk can circulate through the oil over time and cause extended damage to the engine. And the filter, being exposed to heat and pressure, needs to be changed at 3k anyway.

At worst, run the oil 6 mo, 6k. But change the filter every 3 months, 3k.

And yes, I run Mobil 1 (5w-40). Fresh oil with a Mobil 1 filter every 2700-2900 miles.

-Jesda
    Thanks, but I'll trust the GM engineers rather than a personal opinon. They say have no problem with engines going 10K or more on synthetic so neither do I. The filter can hold a lot of debris before it goes to bypass mode. Modern engines are manufactured to very high tolerances, so wear debris, even during break-in, is minimal.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

An oil change and filter is $25-30 for Mobil 1. That comes to a total of $100-$240 a year. $1000-$2400 total if you keep the vehicle ten years and put 100,000-200,000 miles on it. A very small investment for a very expensive depreciating asset.

If the oil is changed every 10k, thats only an average of 10 oil changes in ten years. If I knew that, I'd never buy your vehicle used. In some ways more important than changing oil, is changing the filter.

There's always the normal "recommend interval" (babying the vehicle), then the interval for "severe conditions" (normal driving for most urban or suburban Americans), then there's the way to do it if you plan to keep a mint engine for 200k with nearly-new compression and performance.

-Jesda

JoeKr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT

Just a reminder....

If you comparison is the 3.6l six speed against the TL six speed, the CTS doesn't exist! Thus, no comparison is possible.

Well, the '04s had the 3.2 available with a 5 speed, and the '05s will have a 6 speed available with the 3.6.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

He knows that.
    He just likes to complain that it wasn't released earlier. Personally, I'd like to see them take their time and do it right.

The 6 speed manual for the 3.6L V6 will arrive in Q4 2004. Be patient.

About 2 weeks ago, I took a 6 speed TL out for a test drive. I loved it. Really did. Now, I will certainly take out the six speed CTS when they arive. I think there's a chance the CTS will win me out in the end. I like it already over the TL as far as style goes, and the fit and finish and solid build of the car to begin with is better than any GM vehicle was up untill now. I'd imagine the 3.6 combined with a manual would blow quite a few cars away.

JoeKr is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS 3.6l SFI 6MT

Gothica,

My complaint is that GM has stated to me during phone calls that it would be produced in June, July, August, Sept, and now October. It is that simple.

Regarding "doing it right".... How about meeting commitments? I know, it is likely a foreign concept at GM ever since Mr. Lopez worked his magic.

JoeKr

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.