Cadillac Vs. BMW: CTS Vs. 3 Vs. 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac Vs. BMW: CTS Vs. 3 Vs. 5 in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Cadillac CTS (3.2L engine) 220hp 220ft. lbs. of torque 143mph limit 0-60 in 6.9 seconds 3509 lbs. $31,345 Base MSRP ...
    gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Exclamation Cadillac Vs. BMW: CTS Vs. 3 Vs. 5

Cadillac CTS (3.2L engine)
    220hp
    220ft. lbs. of torque
    143mph limit
    0-60 in 6.9 seconds
    3509 lbs.
    $31,345 Base MSRP

BMW 325i
    184hp
    175ft. lbs. of torque
    128mph limit
    0-60 in 7.1 (8.1)seconds
    3219 (3307) lbs.
    $28,100 Base MSRP

BMW 525i
    184hp
    175ft. lbs. of torque
    0-60 in 8.2 seconds
    146mph limit
    3417 (3450)lbs.
    $39,800 Base MSRP

Cadillac CTS (3.6L engine)
    255hp
    255ft. lbs. of torque
    143mph limit
    0-60 in 6.4 seconds (automatic only; 6 speed manual to arrive Q3 expected to do 6.2 by rough estimations)
    3,568 lbs.
    $36,580 Base MSRP

BMW 330i
    225hp
    214ft. lbs. of torque
    128mph limit
    3285 (3362) lbs.
    0-60 in 6.4 seconds
    $35,200 Base MSRP

BMW 530i
    225hp
    214ft. lbs. of torque
    150mph limit
    0-60 in 6.6 (6.9)seconds
    3461(3483)lbs.
    $44,900 Base MSRP

All numbers taken from manufacturer's respective sites. Numbers in parenthesis represent auto. trans. when both are available.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Re: Cadillac Vs. BMW: CTS Vs. 3 Vs. 5

Money no object ill take the BMW over any of the CTS's........no matter how slow a BMW (like our 2001 325cic conv) its still a blast to drive, the noises the engine makes when revving the shifting of the trans (same in CTS) it all just feels so natural compared to other cars.

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

But is a CTS any less a 'blast' to drive? I've never driven in one so I don't know how they handle in comparison...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

FSU_Noles is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 93 Allante, 06 CTS

I was in the market for a performance sedan and was primarily interested in the CTS, since I am a diehard GM fan. I was very disappointed with the limited option groups and choices. I wanted the full luxury vehicle with the manual tranny but was unable to order it. Also, seemed as if I went from the sport model to the next trim level it was a 6k price jump. It would be nice to see them offer the CTS with a small V8 to get the bene's of the torque and smoother power band. I think the CTS with a V8 would be a dominant vehicle and I fear the re-invent of the HEMI will offer people another place to look (300 series) instead of the CTS.

You ever hear of the CTS-V? It fears no Hemi...

400hp LS6 V8

I think that whatever dealer you went to mis-informed you or was trying to sell you what they had on the lot.
    The lux/sport CTS with the 3.6L V6 255hp gets a 6 speed manual this fall. Not many V8s even match it's broad powerband due to it's variable valve technology. It's quite impressive.
    You can also get the 3.2L V6 220hp with a 5 speed manual and the PDX sport package. This has been available since late 2003, which is why I believe you were misinformed. You could get a manual in the 3.2L lux/sport version since the first day of the CTS' production back in early 2002.

Yes, GM has packaged many of the electronic options in groups and there is much complaint(and rightly so) on this.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

BMW no question, as I have gotten more acquainted with my 330i, I am slowly finding that BMW seemingly under-rates the numbers on these things, plus it takes to my beatings well, is a hoot to drive, and I have had but one single problem with it so far. Also the base 330 comes with alot of nice options right from the start. The M3 hovers around 55k and is absolute gem,despite only having an I6. I really think that with BMW, the 3 series best defines the whole brand, where with Mercedes, only the top drawer models are most rewarding. Dont get me wrong, they definitely have their downfalls, SIZE being a BIG ONE, but overall they are good cars.

5 series is not worth mentioning, between the CTS-V and M5 FOR THE MONEY the CTS-V is a total blast and MUCH more worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Playdrv4me
    BMW no question, as I have gotten more acquainted with my 330i, I am slowly finding that BMW seemingly under-rates the numbers on these things, plus it takes to my beatings well, is a hoot to drive, and I have had but one single problem with it so far. Also the base 330 comes with alot of nice options right from the start. The M3 hovers around 55k and is absolute gem,despite only having an I6. I really think that with BMW, the 3 series best defines the whole brand, where with Mercedes, only the top drawer models are most rewarding. Dont get me wrong, they definitely have their downfalls, SIZE being a BIG ONE, but overall they are good cars.

5 series is not worth mentioning, between the CTS-V and M5 FOR THE MONEY the CTS-V is a total blast and MUCH more worth it.
    I totally agree with you on the base 3 series #'s........in the early 90's the 2.5 was actually rated in the 195hp range I think.....I highly doubt they lowered it........when floored even our 2.5 is very fast.

The numbers quoted above reflect the times that the BMW's have produced in comparisons. If they are under-rated, shouldn't they be posting faster times than the manufacturer numbers?

NO.....what they do is what they do.......but when driven around......including 0-60 but also all the other types of driving....you can tell that this car makes a little more power then they want to tell.....Id imagine the 2.5 really makes closer to 195-200hp...and the 3.0 makes around 245.

Quote Originally Posted by gothicaleigh
    You ever hear of the CTS-V? It fears no Hemi...

400hp LS6 V8

I think that whatever dealer you went to mis-informed you or was trying to sell you what they had on the lot.
    The lux/sport CTS with the 3.6L V6 255hp gets a 6 speed manual this fall. Not many V8s even match it's broad powerband due to it's variable valve technology. It's quite impressive.
    You can also get the 3.2L V6 220hp with a 5 speed manual and the PDX sport package. This has been available since late 2003, which is why I believe you were misinformed. You could get a manual in the 3.2L lux/sport version since the first day of the CTS' production back in early 2002.

Yes, GM has packaged many of the electronic options in groups and there is much complaint(and rightly so) on this.

I was looking to spend less than the 50K pricetag on the V-series. :disappoin

Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i know playdrv4me is going to say i'm anti-bimmer agian. but i don't think u'll "feel" it if the manufacturer put 15-20 horses less when rating the car, u'll just be making excuses because u paid 10,000 to 15,000 more than u should have. in case of the sport lux CTS (i went to cadillac.com and added all useful extras, came out to $46,930.00) and the 530i sedan (went to bmwusa.com and confuigured with all useful extras similar to the CTS and it came out to $60,740). now u start thinking, just because my car is "german" and costs so much, it must have been underrated....duh of coarse, how could i ever think othewise :rolleyes2

now the HP and Torque numbers according to a different source:
    CTS --- 255bhp and 250lb-ft torque
    530i --- 225bhp and 215lb-ft torque
    that's for 2004 car models with best engine/performance packeges

now lets take this even further, let's face it, the days of the cool looking bimmer are over (for now anyways) and they look deformed (i'm being nice here btw), plus new BMW interiors aren't that great. and if Don Corleone saw u in a CTS he would say "ju got a nice ride there kid, ju really know ur cars" :coolgleam

Quote Originally Posted by FSU_Noles
    I was looking to spend less than the 50K pricetag on the V-series. :disappoin
    Then get the 3.6L V6 with the 6 speed when it comes out this fall.
    Check out the torque spread on it (even very few V8's have better than Caddy's new V6):

255hp 252ft. lbs. of torque

By 2000rpm you are producing almost 90% of the peak torque and it stays up there right through 6000.

Is a moot point for me, I went retro and bought a 93 Allante. Maybe in a few years I will look into the new STS. I will give them a year or two to work out bugs and add popular options.

68CoupeDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954
    Money no object ill take the BMW over any of the CTS's........no matter how slow a BMW (like our 2001 325cic conv) its still a blast to drive, the noises the engine makes when revving the shifting of the trans (same in CTS) it all just feels so natural compared to other cars.

I've never had the privilege to drive a CTS but all the 3-series I've been in, other than an M3, pushed really hard when driven hard into a corner. And they didn't make enough power to step the rear around or even balance well. Besides the fact that the auto tranny was always in the wrong gear.

On paper... the only advantage the 3-series has would be the option of only having 2 doors. I don't need/want 4 doors.

Pimpin_Whity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

i've palyed around witht he cadillac.com configurator and i found out that the V is just over $5,000 more than the 3.6vvt with a 6speed and all the luxury options. i think the ls6 is woth the extra $5,000 if u ask me. but u don get that cool "silver green" color, i dont know why but i love it, u do get "red line" red though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.