Cadillac vs Lincoln - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Cadillac vs Lincoln in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Looks like Lincoln was actually tied for fourth http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-service_x.htm...
    Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    Looks like Lincoln was actually tied for fourth

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...-service_x.htm

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Re: Cadillac vs Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by elwesso
    Anyone know who was first....... Oh yeah thats right..... INFINITI was!!!!
    That's because Nissan is the best car company in the world!!!!

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

Actually, Nissan was 31st in this category. Which just goes to show you how reliable these polls may or may not be

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

[offtopic] hey specv did you have a problem with your se-r's tranny? I heard that earlier models manual tranny are like shits.[/offtopic]

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

The tranny isn't the problem as much as the shifter.
    Cable shifters suck.

Mad'lac is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot
    The tranny isn't the problem as much as the shifter.
    Cable shifters suck.
    What about this "Drive-by-wire" thing I been hearing about? Don't know if this has been around awhile but its pretty new to me.

Drive by wire refers to the replacement of "mechanical" steering linkage with motors and wires. In some cars, it also includes electronic throttle control as well.
    It's really just a way to make it easier for the OEM to package vehicle controls.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    yeah, what's throttle by wire?

in reviews of the '04 GTP they were saying that becuase it has that, even pulling into traffic will make the tires spin or something, what is it?

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

That drive by wire just sounds like one more thing to break and leave you stranded........

Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    yeah, what's throttle by wire?

in reviews of the '04 GTP they were saying that becuase it has that, even pulling into traffic will make the tires spin or something, what is it?
    The throttle cable is replaced by (basically) a potentiometer, a harness and a motor. You tended to lack any sense of "feel" in early systems but with the use of dampened switchgear, the OEM "simulates" system feel in both the steer by wire and throttle by wire systems.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Yep, new age cars are getting throttle by wire and steering by wire. The new mercedes are coming out with brake by wire. There's no mechanical connection between the brake pedal and the brakes. There is a sensor to tell how hard you're pushing on the brakes, and that's how much will be applyed to the brakes. Personally, I think it's a bad idea because we're depending on a wire to do the braking in a car. what if some numnuts doesn't know what he's doing and cuts the wire thinking it's to his stereo that's malfunctioning or some shit.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle
    more crap to go wrong, personally I like to feel the response of the brakes, steering and throttle through the input devices..... what is good about doing it this way? it seems like then the car is 5-10 years old, alot of this stuff will start to go bad.....

Quote Originally Posted by Panther
    more crap to go wrong, personally I like to feel the response of the brakes, steering and throttle through the input devices..... what is good about doing it this way? it seems like then the car is 5-10 years old, alot of this stuff will start to go bad.....
    You're probably right. The systems are being replaced mainly for weight savings and flexibility in packaging of the systems in new car designs. Example: as it stands right now, engineers have to maintain space between the steering wheel and rack for the column and associated linkages. In a steer by wire application, all you have to do is run a small harness between the two components. And to be honest, at that point, the steering wheel can be replaced by something as little as a joy-stick.

ultravorx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I had the drive by wire in my 2500 Avalance, it was a death trap!!! At highway speeds if your foot is off the gas coasting, and you need to pull into another lane quickly, its not going to happen. My friend and I counted about a 1.5 second delay before the truck would even react to the throttle. I almost got hit because of that. When i told GM about this, i was told this is how the system works. and there was nothing wrong!!! I almost got into an accident because of this crappy system. I prefer the old linkage system myself, as least its reliable!
    Frank

68CoupeDeVille is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mad'lac
    Back when I was in HS I was working for the Jags/Ferra. dealership in town. There was this woman (about 67 yrs old) that came to the showroom to buy a car but none of the sales people would bother with her.I was working as a make-ready worker. I was walking by her going back to the work-shop when for the hell of it I asked her if I could help her out. I knew the sales peoples were being snobs but I figured even if you don't make a sale you at least take some time to help. Well she asked me if I could show her a XJS Convert. I grabbed the keys and started showing her the car. Right then she said she'd take the car. So I got one of the snobs(sales) to help her out. But she said she wanted me there while she was talking to the snob. When asked how she was gonna pay for the car, she reached into her purse and pulled out the biggest wad of $100 bills I ever seen. She paid cash for the car and demanded I get the commision.That made my summer as it was $7000 in cold hard cash The salesman called me out of the office and said I needed to give him the comission seeing how he was the salesman.I said "sure right whatever" Then he said if I didn't I would get fired. I was making $4.75 an hour so I said "Go F*<& yourself " and quit. No way was I gonna make $7000 in 3 months and I was saving to buy a car.I told my boss the deal and he said he'd see to it that I'd get a paystub for the money.He said he would have done the same thing too. I still talk to the guy whenever I see him. The point I'm making is that its not so much the brand of car but rather the sales people that treat you like crap. What did I buy with the money? A 1985 Mustang GTand still had $3500 leftover to fix her up. Best memory of my teen yrs( well 2nd best memory )

You can't pay in cash for any transaction over $10k. Tax laws say so.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.