Is Lincoln throwing in the towel? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Is Lincoln throwing in the towel? in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I have always wondered why we still need Mercury myself. Either buy a C/V or a Towncar. While the platforms ...
    Smokey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Is Lincoln throwing in the towel?

I have always wondered why we still need Mercury myself. Either buy a C/V or a Towncar. While the platforms are the same (Panther) there is a world of difference in the ride and appointments of the two. As for the Expedition=Navigator, it shares the same chassis, but like the C/V=T/C there ARE differences. The most obvious is the engine in the Navigator. As far as I can tell, you cannot get the 32V DOHC 5.4 in the Expedition. Also drive both SUVs and the Navigator definitely rides smoother.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

well the expy and navi will soon both have the same engine.....3V 5.4L

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Msilva954
    Ford has those for sales...the CrownVic is the cop car and taxi...the Grand Marquis is the retired persons car in Florida and the Rental Car and the Town car is the retired person who has a little more money....
    LMAO...sorry, but i couldnt help but bust out laughin when i read this. lol

BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

Every review I read says the Town Car/Grand Marquis/Crown Vic all "ride" exactly the same... Is this not true?
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Caddy Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    Every review I read says the Town Car/Grand Marquis/Crown Vic all "ride" exactly the same... Is this not true?
    the towncar has air shocks in the rear, the grand marquis i dont htink so, and the crown vic dosnt for sure, i dont see how they would ride the same.

Does this belong in Cadillac Versus???? SAL???

CaddyMan it is funny yet true....lol

They all drive different to a certain level....I consider the Crown/Marquis the same car...but on the LSE you can get rear air shocks on the Marquis too.....but on to the towncar. Its got alot of different chassis reinforcements compared to the others....and the interior as a whole is fairly different too, you cant get a navigation with the others but you can in the Town Car and you cant get the others in Stretched form either....I actually agree on keeping them all.

1.CrownVic for Fleetsales....Vinyl or high strength cloth
    2.GrandMarquis......Soft Cloth/leather seats...chrome....nicer wheels....more wood.
    3.Towncar.....Different styleing like now....better leather like now...more wood like now..stronger quieter chassis like now...air ride like now.....and the only other thing unlike now that I would like to see is a stronger engine...which the segment really demands....if you count out the Old folks...the current engines main competion is the 4.9l 12 yr old caddy engine.....I wanna see the new 3V 4.6 w/315hp and 310tq in the freshened up towncar next.....which I think we will.

But then it will be across the board.....so I think they should offer it as an option on the other two cars and standard on the Towncar....that way the buyers know they get more for their money and not just a GrandMarquis....overall I think the journalists just dont like American Cars period...but Caddy is changing that now and Chrysler...(notsoamerican)

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

From the August 2004 issue of Automobile:

Stayin' Alive
    Lincoln Mercury reinvents itself. Again.

"Now that Oldsmobile and Plymouth have hit the skids, there's a chill wind blowing under the doors of some Detroit car companies. That's why Lincoln Mercury wants everyone to know that it is still selling lots of cars and trucks and plans to sell more.

This fall, the Mercury Montego, a version of the Ford Five Hundred sedan, arrives. Next year, Mercury gets the Mariner SUV, a pricier version of the Escape, and a hybrid Mariner will appear as a 2007 model.

That's not much to reshape a company that still depends on the aged Grand Marquis for a substantial portion of it's sales. Mercury says the Montego and Mariner will help attract younger owners, but that's like hearing that your great-aunt is making plans to appear on American Idol.

There's also news from Lincoln. The four-door Mark LT pickup (previewed by the Detroit auto show concept) debuts next spring. The front-wheel-drive Zephyr is due for 2006 (awd will follow, along with a Mercury badged version), and the all-new Aviator crossover will appear as a 2007 model. Meanwhile, concept cars for the next Detroit show will signal plans to reintroduce the Continental and replace the geriatric Town Car.

All this is a far cry from the days when Lincoln Mercury moved to California to join the Premier Automotive Group.
    Mercury aspired to performance, while Lincoln vowed to create a new interpretation of American Luxury. Now, Lincoln Mercury is back in Detroit, and the disappointing Mercury Marauder has vanished, along with the disappointing Lincoln concept cars (there were a lot of them, weren't there?). Once you cut through the marketing spin, it appears the company is wrapping it's arms around it's traditional owner body and sliding back into the past, when it made little more than Fords with extra chrome trim.

Lincoln Mercury always has had trouble with it's identity, wobbling among luxury, performance, and tradition. It will introduce no fewer than eleven new models in the next four years, but we're less sure than ever about what kind of company it really wants to be.
    " ~Michael Jordan

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

from The Car Connection

LINCOLN CHANGES DIRECTION, WON'T CHASE CADDY
    "We don't have to be Cadillac," James Padilla, President of Ford Motor Co. North American Operations, in an interview after a press conference at the Chicago Auto Show. Padilla said the number-two automaker has launched an extensive review of future product plans for Lincoln, which has long been considered Ford's answer to Cadillac. But Padilla said Ford has had second thoughts about following Cadillac upscale. "We're looking at how we can get more synergy with Ford products," Padilla said. Lincoln will keep its sport-utility vehicles and continue to sell entry-level luxury cars and other luxury models that utilize the brand's traditional strengths as an American luxury brand but it won't follow Cadillac "north" with pricier models beyond roughly the $40,000 to $50,000 range. One sign of the change is that Ford has already killed plans for building a high-performance Lincoln LS with help from McLaren to compete with Cadillac's new V-Series CTS. Ford, however, also will look at building different kinds of vehicles for Lincoln. One candidate for future development is the Lincoln Navicross, which could utilize the platform developed for the Ford Freestyle activity vehicle, Padilla said. "But we haven't decided that yet." -Joe Szczesny

While going FWD, I think the new Lincoln lineup is going to remind me of the first Cadillac Northstar cars. All FWD and not exactly performance-oriented (still comfortable, fairly soft-riding, etc). The Zephyr would be like an STS, the Continental would be like the DeVille, and whatever replaces the Town Car would be like the Fleetwood that Cadillac stopped making...
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Im actually looking foward to the new lincolns....if they can utalize high horse power V6's in the 275-300hp range...they have nothing to loose over the V8 crowd. Any V6 making 200hp or more is fantastic...but when it starts getting near 300hp.....man....we wont see many V8s around.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

I wonder if Lincoln is trying to pick up the traditional customers that Cadillac is slowly leaving behind for younger blood. Otherwise Buick would get a slight boost from frightened Cadillac owners who can't handle Art & Science.

Infiniti had Lincoln's dilemma in the mid to late 90s, when first-generation Q45 sales tumbled, J30 sales declined gradually, and the only products carrying the brand were rebadged generic Nissans: the QX4 (gussied up Pathfinder with more advanced AWD) and G20 (fancy version of europe's Nissan Primera).

The "new" Q45 in 1997 was just an older Nissan Cima from Japan with a smaller and less powerful 4.1L engine. It was faster than the 96 Q45 partly due to weight reductions (and in 1996 VVT was removed for emissions and OBD II was introduced). But it was softer and more traditional inside and out. But in no way did it compare to the 90-95 Q45 that defined the brand.

The 2002 Q45 was supposed to be a huge hit, but is mostly a flop. It focused on gizmos instead of intuitive luxury -- in glaring contrast to the brand's launch -- creating more confusion for consumers and muddying the brand's image, virtues, and selling points.

So the French took over and revived the brand from the bottom-up. G35 and FX series are knockouts, and the replacement M45 in 2005 and replacement Q45 in 06 or 07 should be even more incredible.

If you want to sell luxury cars and compete at the upper crust, you have to have products first. Otherwise anyone can rebadge a vehicle and add some chrome and leather like Acura and Mercury have. (Check out the Acura EL in Canada... a luxury Civic.)

The concept cars have to hit showrooms or else Lincoln and Mercury will go the way of Oldsmobile. The elderly Lincoln customers who are frightened by the new Cadillac dont exactly contribute to a long term business plan.

-Jesda

I think you're right about Lincoln taking Cadillacs old customers... That makes plenty of sense. I think Buick would like to be in that situation, but they don't have the name and history that Lincoln does...

Otherwise. The Infiniti J30 was a Nissan Altima.. The G20 was a Nissan Sentra... The interiors were much nicer inside...

Adam is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): JimmyH

Lincoln needs to bring back their old successful cars and by those I mean the Mark Series and the Continental.

I heard somewhere that they are supposed to be bringing these back. i hope lincoln isnt throwing in the towel, beside Cadillac they are one of the best car companies around. and who will be worthy enough to compete with Cadillac then?

Lincoln can and WILL take over the traditional Cadillac buyers.....down the line they will be introducing some very nice looking cars with luxurius interiors...not sporty ala Cadillac.....but truely luxurius.

Truely luxurious... heh.. That could be their new slogan...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.