I test-drove a Lincoln Town Car Ultimate today
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, I test-drove a Lincoln Town Car Ultimate today in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; I've been curious about the new Lincoln Town Car Ultimate, so I went and took a test drive. Being that ...
    BeelzeBob is offline I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!

I test-drove a Lincoln Town Car Ultimate today

I've been curious about the new Lincoln Town Car Ultimate, so I went and took a test drive. Being that the Town Car was the only real competition for the car I've been driving (1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham), I figured this test-drive might give me an idea of what a brand new Fleetwood Brougham may feel like.

To beginwith, the fit and finish is, of course, very nice. The leather seats are very soft (just the way I like them) and the quality of the leather was very nice - a little better than my Fleetwood Brougham (it should be). Oddly enough, it didn't feel as roomy inside. If I'm not mistaken, the current Town Car is about a half an inch wider than the Fleetwood - but it didn't really feel that way inside. It felt a little bit smaller. I'm actually more comfortable in my car.

The Town Car feels exactly the same over bumps as my Fleetwood - though there's less of a boaty feel. On a smooth surface, the Town Car felt a little bit softer, actually - but I've got 70,000 miles... The steering was definitely tighter and it did feel a little safer around turns.. The looks of the interior are very nice.. The dash is very classy-looking. The stereo that comes with the Town Car is also very impressive..

Nonetheless, not all that different from what my car feels like. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm guessing that what the Fleetwood Brougham and Town Car had in 1995 is about as good as you're going to get - even today. I haven't driven in a Lexus LS, Acura RL or Infiniti Q45 yet - but one of these days I will and I'll give a review in comparison to Cadillac's best of 1995.
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Re: I test-drove a Lincoln Town Car Ultimate today

I agree with most of what you say. However, the stereo is both UNderpowered, at 150 Watts and a pain in the neck to learn to use all of its features. After 1 year & am still learning!!

I find that mine's very 'tossable' around turns and that the back end really follows the front very well, giving the feel of a much smaller car. The
    H-U-G-E "B" pillar (especially on the passenger side, creates a blind spot that really bothers me. (Caddy has this too). She needs the V-8 from the Mustang Cobra, to be complete!

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

i cant get over the lack of space in the town car considering its overall size

Well, I didn't get to blast the stereo or anything - but it's better than what I've got in mine.. It IS mind-boggling how there's less room in this car than my Fleetwood.. It felt more like a DeVille or a Seville in the front seat.. Not small by any means - just not as big as I was expecting.. Lincoln has a really nice car here - but I hope they don't intend on going any smaller. If I'm not mistaken, Brett, your LS430 is smaller on the outside - but bigger on the inside... :drinker
    If this site has helped you save money, please consider helping it continue to do so. Click here for information!

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Collaziano
    Well, I didn't get to blast the stereo or anything - but it's better than what I've got in mine.. It IS mind-boggling how there's less room in this car than my Fleetwood.. It felt more like a DeVille or a Seville in the front seat.. Not small by any means - just not as big as I was expecting.. Lincoln has a really nice car here - but I hope they don't intend on going any smaller. If I'm not mistaken, Brett, your LS430 is smaller on the outside - but bigger on the inside... :drinker
    Big Fords typically don't have as much rear seat legroom either. My Grand Marquis had a lack of legroom in the back, while my FWD Fleetwood is actually a couple inches more room in back than a Broughm! (some months ago we posted the numbers) Outside appearance is certainly deceptive.

How did the power of the engine compare to your Fleetwood?

Sal, if you buy that Lincoln, you'll have to create a NEW Lincoln Forum.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

I dont think sal would trade his FWB for a lincoln...

I kinda like hte older generation.. the 94-96 was a nice time for the town car..... they look odler but oh so comfy...

DopeStar 156 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 05 STS, 89 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance, 84 Chevy K/10

I drove our rental 2003 Town Car Signature Series in Hawaii last summer on vacation and got it up to 60 mph on I think it was H1 in Honolulu and down a bunch of city streets. I loved it so much the car was great! It made me miss my Mark VII back at home which was suffering from air ride compressor blow out and had no suspension. I took my Mark off the road about two weeks after we got home from that trip but wow, that Town Car was zippy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph
    Big Fords typically don't have as much rear seat legroom either. My Grand Marquis had a lack of legroom in the back, while my FWD Fleetwood is actually a couple inches more room in back than a Broughm! (some months ago we posted the numbers) Outside appearance is certainly deceptive.

How did the power of the engine compare to your Fleetwood?

Sal, if you buy that Lincoln, you'll have to create a NEW Lincoln Forum.
    1991 Fleetwood: 43.3 inches
    1991 Fleetwood Brougham: 41.2 inches
    1995 Fleetwood Brougham: 59.8 inches Wow! hehe
    2003 Lincoln Towncar Cartier L: 47 inches

I'd rather spend a few thousand dollars getting my car looking and driving like it just rolled out of the showroom than spend $50k on the Towncar. Not that there's anything wrong with the Towncar, though...

1991 Fleetwood: 43.3 inches
    1991 Fleetwood Brougham: 41.2 inches
    1995 Fleetwood Brougham: 59.8 inches Wow! hehe
    2003 Lincoln Towncar Cartier L: 47 inches

I'd rather spend a few thousand dollars getting my car looking and driving like it just rolled out of the showroom than spend $50k on the Towncar. Not that there's anything wrong with the Towncar, though...
    59.9 in. rear seat legroom!? OMG! Hail to the king of Cadillacs.

I have too much room with 43.3 inches!

SoundAdvantage is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 87 Deville

I've been curious about the new Lincoln Town Car Ultimate, so I went and took a test drive. Being that the Town Car was the only real competition for the car I've been driving (1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham), I figured this test-drive might give me an idea of what a brand new Fleetwood Brougham may feel like.

To beginwith, the fit and finish is, of course, very nice. The leather seats are very soft (just the way I like them) and the quality of the leather was very nice - a little better than my Fleetwood Brougham (it should be). Oddly enough, it didn't feel as roomy inside. If I'm not mistaken, the current Town Car is about a half an inch wider than the Fleetwood - but it didn't really feel that way inside. It felt a little bit smaller. I'm actually more comfortable in my car.

The Town Car feels exactly the same over bumps as my Fleetwood - though there's less of a boaty feel. On a smooth surface, the Town Car felt a little bit softer, actually - but I've got 70,000 miles... The steering was definitely tighter and it did feel a little safer around turns.. The looks of the interior are very nice.. The dash is very classy-looking. The stereo that comes with the Town Car is also very impressive..

Nonetheless, not all that different from what my car feels like. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I'm guessing that what the Fleetwood Brougham and Town Car had in 1995 is about as good as you're going to get - even today. I haven't driven in a Lexus LS, Acura RL or Infiniti Q45 yet - but one of these days I will and I'll give a review in comparison to Cadillac's best of 1995.
    Sal, You had me worried for a minute Well there are two issues that you did not mention that i am curious about.
    One is the Performance of the Town car VSs the Fleetwood, and the other is the Crash Test Results of both vehicles.
    Can anyone bring us the Stats on these two issues? I would love to see them.

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

Town Car got 5 stars in both front seating posistions and 5 Stars on side impact. deVille got 3 stars front & 3 side. This has been on the web all over, and now "gone looking for it" I can't find it.

Town Car not $50,000. There is now a $4,000 fact to buyer rebate, plus dealers can give $2,500 off of sticker, plus there is back door money for the dealer that SOME might split with you. That money is $1,200. So, it's possible to get $7,100 off of sticker, and a Ultimate model with the works lists for $46,000 and can be had for $39,800.00. (Not Fifty).

Yes, she's "Zippy" but liking ALOT of power, I still wish they'd drop in the Cobra V-8 from the 2003 Mustang Cobra. The car feels VERY refind to me, driving it everyday. What I really appreciate is no a single squeek, rattle or creak. Stone Dead quiet inside. After coming outta a 1994 Grand Prix G.T.P. the Town Car seems to have loads of interior room to me! I love it.
    (Still on the learning curve, however, on the stereo!)

Well, for under $40k, the Town Car is a very, very nice car..

Oh and I can't believe I still have never found a competent salesman. While I was in the showroom, I had asked to see an '03 Cartier or an '04 Ultimate. They told me there was a Signature I could look at - and I told them I'd rather see an Ultimate or Cartier - one of the reasons being there are different (softer) seats. I don't like the seats otherwise. They just couldn't understand how the Cartier and Ultimate models had different seats.. How could none of them know this? They sell Lincolns all day long. It's their business..

Same goes for a Chevy dealer I was in not long ago. A perspective customer was wondering why some of the Vettes had better gas milage on the stickers than others. The salesman looked up and down the car and couldn't figure out why - and guessed that the mileage varies from car to car.. I spoke-up and told them that some models have higher-performance gearing than others.

When are car dealerships going to start hiring car salesman that actually WANT to be "car" salesman? I think car salesman (with the exception of a few) are ignorant (in regards to automobiles) and just sent in their resume because they needed a job. That's fine for the salesman - but stupid for the dealership...

I had asked to see an '03 Cartier or an '04 Ultimate. They told me there was a Signature I could look at -
    Sounds like the time 5 years ago I was looking to buy a used LTC, and they showed me the oldest ones and the dealer had the nerve to say "now there's a Lincoln you can afford." I guess I looked young and he thought I couldn't afford a newer one? I wish they wouldn't stereotype. I even notice that when you are in the showroom sitting in the driver's seat (door open) they kneel down beside you and glance at your watch to see what kind it is, ie.Timex or Rolex LOL! They got their tricks. I settled on the Grand Marquis.

I think that more dealers have to become car enthuisiasts or should have been in the first place IMO.

These days, I just go in with sweat-shorts and a white undershirt. I don't want dealers coming up to me wasting my time. I'd rather them see me as a bum and mind their own business. If I have the money and want to buy something, I'll be very loud and let everyone in the dealership know I want to see a car...

Otherwise - yes, car dealers should be enthusiasts to some extent. Atleast enough to know what they're selling.. The guy I was riding in the car with yesterday was telling me about how the Ultimate had a more powerful A/C unit.. Come on.. When are human-beings going to wake up and move-on to the "next level" of intellect?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.