Opinions on Chrysler Corp.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac or competing brand model ? Why ? Discussion, Opinions on Chrysler Corp. in Item Specific Cadillac Discussion; Personally I have owned four GM cars, two Ford cars, and I am on my first Chrysler vehicle. I haven't ...
    gtm245 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Opinions on Chrysler Corp.

Personally I have owned four GM cars, two Ford cars, and I am on my first Chrysler vehicle. I haven't owned it very long but I have had it in the shop about 7 or 8 times by now. I have never been a Chrysler fan but I got a really good deal on this car so I thought why not. Anyway how have some of your Chrysler vehicles been treating you? That is if you own any. In my opinion I wish I would have stuck with GM. Loved all my GM cars except one I didn't really care for. So anyway have at it....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: Opinions on Chrysler Corp.

About a month ago, I went to the chrysler dealer just to check out the new cars they had (crossfire and 300). I was treated very nice and just like I was a old guy with money coming out of his ears..

If worse comes to worse, they have a GOLDEN service department and overall service.. very pleased!

daacon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Deville D'Elgance

My Bother in Law is a huge Chrysler Fan. I have owned a few. I still have a 1986 Fith Ave - no rust , engine only has 120k Kilometes. It has a few electrical problems (driver side window, door locks ) nothing unexpected for a 18 yer old car. On the other hand I also owned a 1985 Caravan that was a nightmare. 2.2 Litre just too small and engine for that vehicle. I bought it as a demo and it was constantly in the shop for reparis. Catalytic convertor overheated to the point it burnt the rug inside !

My opinion now is if you buy a high end vehicle , used for new , odds are the big three come across the same more or less. Of course all of them can have lemons. Me personally arm now a GM man - only because the 2 vehilces I have now have I am very satified with and to date have given me no grief. Will I ever buy a Chrysler again - maybe but sticking with GM for now.

tru504187211 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham

I only hate Chrysler because my parents seem to have thiis odd obsession with breeding early 90's mini vans. We used to have 1, now there are 5 in the driveway..

Sandy is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED

I owed 5 Imperials (1968/1972/1974/1975/1982). The 1982 was a lemon of the highest order. All the rest were fantastic.

My wife owned a 1982 Dodge 400 and then a 1985 Dodge Diplomat. Both were just fair, and had their share of problems.

However, I believe that since that time (mid-eighties) their products are on a par with Ford and/or GM. I know friends who have them, and swear BY (not at) them.

Our son bought a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. He has 21,000 miles on it, and has not yet had problem #1. At the time (2001) his boss told him to buy a Ford Explorer (as the boss did). Boss is now in a Chevy Tahoe, after settling with the Lemon laws and having Ford buy the thing back!!

The Cherokee marchs onward.

I too know some HUGE Chrysler fans that wouldn't buy anything but Dodge and Chrysler. To me a lot of Chrysler vehicles just seem really cheap inside and I'm having my fair share of mechanical problems with mine. I also don't like some of the mechanical engineering that goes on with Chrysler vehicles. They always seem to place "wearable parts" in almost impossible to reach places as if someday they will not need to be replaced. I guess I'm just accustomed to my GM vehicles being very easy to work on. I think Ford and GM are pretty much a tie right now with build quality/reliability with Chrysler just lagging a little behind.

What vehicle manufacturers would you buy from and which ones would you run from?

I would buy: all GM (except maybe Pontiac), Honda, Infinity, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Lexus, Mazda, Nissan, and maybe Hyundai (yes they are getting alot better)

I would not buy: Ford, Jaguar, Kia, Daewoo, BMW, Mercedes Benz, Volkswagen, or any Chrysler product

Stoneage_Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Gobi 01 Frontier/Ishi 96 Nighthawk/Gladys 94 Deville I Loved

I sure dont want a new age chrysler but ill take any old school mopar

id also take most any 2.2 turbo chrysler from the late 80s early 90s tops 5 being the 85 GLH , 87 Shelby Charger GLHS, 90 Lebaron VNT ,90 Daytona with the VNT, and of coarse the 93 Daytona Iroc with the 16v 2.2 turbo built by lotus

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

They have some issues today..

The ram 1500's have a tranny issue. My friends dad has one, and its got 45k and it already needs a new transmission!!!

I also know someone that works at a chrysler factory, and actually builds the ball joints, here in New Castle, Indiana!

The dealer should cover them, its a a recall......

CoupeDevilleRob is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1983 Coupe deVille

I have always hated Chrysler products. Growing up I was brainwashed by my dad and some of his friends, but as I got older I began to realize myself how inferior they are. Any Chryslers I see that are more than a few years old always seem to be falling apart. I'm a staunch GM fan, but I'll admit when a company builds a good car and Chrysler just doesn't in my opinion. Some of the newer cars, 300C and Crossfire, seem promising though. No matter what they build though I'll never accept a Chrysler product.

Msilva954 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 92 Deville

Id buy: GM (Cadillac;GMC;Hummer;Buick;Pontiac) Ford(Ford;Lincoln;Jaguar;Land Rover;Volvo;Mazda;Aston Martin) Chrysler( only:300C;Crossfire;Viper;SRT10) BMW(Mini;RollsRoyce;BMW) Honda;Lexus;Infiniti;Acura

Id stay away from: GM(Chevy;besides corvette;Deawoo) Ford(Mercury) Chrylser(most of there cars except the listed ones) Mercedes(All;reliability) Audi(too plain) Toyota cars;Suzuki..............cant think of others.....they must suck then.

majax is offline 32V Northstar

About the Ram 1500 I know of someone too that had trany problems with theirs he was able to unload it though when the lease was up and the trany hadnt gone just yet. I certainly think the new Chryslers are decent cars they have interesting design and they are really throwin this hemi thing around. Of course if you think about it a 5.7liter(Hemi is 5.7) Northstar would blow the 340Hemi away.

maydog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I've owned 2 chryslers: a 94 new yorker (LHS) and a 97 dodge intrepid. Both had the 3.5 SOHC V6. I really liked the new yorker, it was huge inside, had plenty of headroom, rode nice in the back and moved decent. I sold it to the crapwayr after a cop totaled it at an intersection.

I bought the intrepid at an auction and was a solid car, but i did not like it as much as the NY. The biggest problem with both of these vehicles was the water pump and timing belt, a good DIY job. My wife sold the Intrepid to my Sister in law after I bought the STS - I never got to replace the water pump in the trep in time. I started to leak under my sister in laws incapable hands and it went bone dry. She drove it until it blew up.

I ended up putting in a junker engine and it still runs.

I had considered purchasing a 300M or newer LHS when I was looking at the caddy, but I think I made the right choice.

brougham is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre

What kind of Chrysler is it? Friends of ours had an older Intrepid and had a lot of problems with it. They traded it in for a 1999 LHS and they've never had a major problem yet. You hear about a lot of problems with the older style Intrepids but not much about the newer ones.

Ralph is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I've had a few of them in the 1980's, and they are as tough as nails. Leaky side windows, clunky tranies, etc. don't seem to effect the reliability one bit. I think they have got their act together today for the most part. I also think of the 1980's K-car as somehow hurting their reputation in the past, and stereotypes are hard to break. They built lots of those minivans in the 1980's and they are responsible for saving the company if I'm not mistaken. But supposedly, they weren't that good in quality.

The car in question is a 1996 Chrysler LHS. It has the 3.5L SOHC V6 with a 4 speed auto transmission. I like the cars room, dash layout, slick leather seats, and exterior style. I hate how its always in the shop and how it just has a cheap feeling (a ton of cheap plastic, squeaks and rattles, horrible fake wood trim, ect...) It just doesn't seem as "tight" of a car as my GM cars. It rattles all over the place, the steering wanders a bit, cheap materials, transmission sudders a little bit sometimes when downshifting like when coasting to a stoplight.

This is what I've done so far:

*Upper intake manifold gasket
    *Driver side outer tie-rod end
    *Passenger side inner tie-rod end (what a pain in the a$$!)
    *Passenger side strut bearing
    *Three new lug nuts (boy, they sure do stick to those aluminum wheels)
    *Infinity radio quit working

The car still does not steer correctly and the whole front suspension is all messed up. It makes all kinds of wierd thumps and bumps and snaping noises when turning the wheel.

These are the known major problems with LHS's: (I hope I don't have to do the first four)

Water pump (which in turn takes out the timing belt)
    Timing belt
    Air conditioning compressor & evaporator
    Automatic transmission failure
    Front suspension problems (kinda like what I'm having)

It seems that almost all LHS's have these 5 problems at some point or another but nothing else ever seems to fail on them. Only these five things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.